Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New guy here.

I went a Ram dealer in Sac. to snoop around a bit and try to get some info on when the Promasters are scheduled to arrive. The word I got was Decemberish.

While I was there, I test drove a Dodge Caravan to get a feel for what a Pentastar V6 / 62T 6spd trans drivetrain had to offer.

For comparisons sake, the minivan weighs 4500 lbs and the Ram website specs the 2500 LWB High Roof at 4900 lbs. I took my wife and a friend along and their weight, combined with the salesman evened out the weight difference at about 4900 +/-
I drove out east along Hwy 50 and climbed the long fairly steep freeway hill up to Eldorado Hills.

I've never been much of a Dodge guy, but I have to say I was impressed.
The power was way more than adequate and trans was smooth and the manual shift feature worked well.

I was wondering if that powertrain was up to the task.
The short answer is yes, with no load. . .

It will be interesting to see how it does hauling or towing the loads it's spec'ed for.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sold on the Ram yet. I'll have to see it in person first.

And I'll probably hold off for a while to see how the Ford Transit and the four banger Sprinter behave before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really hope to the Diesel engine is available soon for a test drive because I have a 2013 Jeep unlimited JK weighing in a little over 5000lbs and not impressed with the 3.6 Penastar engine at all. And I have 4:10 gears. Maybe a empty PM but I'm buying for hauling tool and parts and and by my experience with my 3.6 it won't cut it. Hurry up with the diesel or I'm getting the 2014 Transit.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm not sold on the Ram yet. I'll have to see it in person first.

And I'll probably hold off for a while to see how the Ford Transit and the four banger Sprinter behave before I pull the trigger.
the market is ever evolving. Especially now. I'm not in a hurry either so I'm going to wait around to see what the competition is offering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the market is ever evolving. Especially now. I'm not in a hurry either so I'm going to wait around to see what the competition is offering.
Hey carryon what else have you been looking at besides the promaster and transit? have you considered the nissan NV?

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I really hope to the Diesel engine is available soon for a test drive because I have a 2013 Jeep unlimited JK weighing in a little over 5000lbs and not impressed with the 3.6 Penastar engine at all. And I have 4:10 gears. Maybe a empty PM but I'm buying for hauling tool and parts and and by my experience with my 3.6 it won't cut it. Hurry up with the diesel or I'm getting the 2014 Transit.

Looks to be a while for the Diesel.

Prototype Test Drive

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

What's the problem ? Insufficient power ??

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's really not my favorite thing to do to test drive these hulking work vans, but I'm going to have to start making the rounds soon. What other vehicles are you guys planning on test driving other than the Promaster?

i see the Transit and the Nissan NV being mentioned here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts