Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soon planning to factory order myself a new 3500 High Roof Extended 159 in. WB Promaster to build my own campervan. The options I want are as follows;
RV Van Package-$5,625
220-amp alternator-$150
Interior Convenience Group-$200
Trailer Tow Group-$475
12-volt auxiliary power outlet - rear-$75
Leather-wrapped steering wheel-$75
2 additional key fobs-$150
Rear window defroster-$150
Mopar cargo area LED lighting-$285
Auxiliary power connection-$50
Auxiliary switches-$200
Park-Sense® Rear Park Assist System-$425
Security alarm-$200
Granite Crystal Metallic-$195
Now I am not sure if I will get the 2 additional key fobs option or not and also not sure if I will go with the factory alarm or just go aftermarket. Also not sure if it would be a good idea to order the Premium heavy-duty suspension option for $200 or maybe that would be overkill. As for the type build I want to do it would probably be based off the Shire Phoenix 2XL Studio class b campervan or better yet the Murvi Morelo XL campervan. I would want to save the rooftop for 3-300W solar panels mounted on a roof rack and a maxxair fan or two at the back of the van closest to the rear doors as possible. I will put in some closable air vents into the floor for good airflow. I also hope to install a cubic mini or cubic grizzly wood stove into the van for winter camping. Now I just have to figure out how I will do air conditioning as I would have no rooftop space left. Maybe under mounted, maybe a mini split air ac. I want to boondock or urban camp most often and will rarely ever hook up to shore power so solar and lithium batteries will be important in the build. I will add my own aftermarket C.R. Laurence windows just have to find a place in Canada I can order them. As for other items I want I can get them at; https://tinylifesupply.ca/ I want it to be build very well so I can live in it for long periods of time. I want to frame the interior out with 80/20 extruded aluminum for a solid professional look just like Dave Orton did in his ford transit van build which can be seen here; http://ortontransit.info/testeighty4.php . After putting the order in for my new van I will have to start sourcing parts for this project. Well that is just a little about my plans and ideas, now I just got to get the ball rolling.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I’m not sure what the $5600 RV package is but it sounds like overkill to me the same for extra heavy duty suspension. I would definately warn you against that. The only real thing I dislike about my 2500 159 high top is the rear suspension. It is way to stiff for a camper and I think you will be very unsatisfied with the ride. Instead, I would suggest you go the opposite direction and order the softer passenger suspension.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Markham if you ever want to drop by to see my build. Check out some of my posts to see what I've done, or @ShaunBike on instagram.

Shaun

·
Registered
754 Posts
Interesting - This is an option not offered in USA, just a catch-all of a majority of nicer factory options..
RV Van Package
Price:$CAD 5,625

INCLUDED FEATURES (16):
16x6-inch aluminum wheels
Outside badge installation
Continental radio manufacturer
Cruise control
Delete spare tire: Tire sealant and air compressor
Driver swivel seat
Front and rear mud flaps
GPS navigation
ParkView® Rear Back-Up Camera
Passenger swivel seat
Power folding, heated exterior mirrors
Premium Appearance Group: Bright front grille, Fog lamps
Rear hinged doors with fixed glass: Deep tint sunscreen glass
SiriusXM satellite radio with 1-year subscription
Uconnect® 5.0-in. Touch/Hands-free communication/CD
Upfit interface connector

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Not sure but I think it’s called passenger suspension or something like that

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,254 Posts
I believe is statement is true.

If you get a cargo van it comes with HD suspension.
If you get a window van it comes with touring suspension and the option is HD suspension.

You maybe able to order touring leafs and add them later.

Someone with an factory window van should be able to say if there is a difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting - This is an option not offered in USA, just a catch-all of a majority of nicer factory options..
RV Van Package
Price:$CAD 5,625

INCLUDED FEATURES (16):
16x6-inch aluminum wheels
Outside badge installation
Continental radio manufacturer
Cruise control
Delete spare tire: Tire sealant and air compressor
Driver swivel seat
Front and rear mud flaps
GPS navigation
ParkView® Rear Back-Up Camera
Passenger swivel seat
Power folding, heated exterior mirrors
Premium Appearance Group: Bright front grille, Fog lamps
Rear hinged doors with fixed glass: Deep tint sunscreen glass
SiriusXM satellite radio with 1-year subscription
Uconnect® 5.0-in. Touch/Hands-free communication/CD
Upfit interface connector
The RV package comes with everything I would order anyways it is just packaged together at a bit of a discounted price, but if ordered separate you would not get the outside badge installation. Not sure what the badge is though. I believe this package is more geared towards the class b campervan manufacturers.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Window van here with $95 Heavy Duty Suspension option... No one in sales or service knew the differences that option supplied. I've not driven a 159" WB that didn't have the HD option.

No complaints about it being a truck suspension. When empty on rough roads the 72psi rear tire inflation transmits a lot of shocks but smooth new pavement makes up for it.

Ditching the Vanco 225/75R16C euro-rated commercial tires for Michelin Defender LTX M&S LT245-75-16's 120/116R really quieted things down.

I failed to take measurements this last trip but here is a photo of 159" 2500 (8900lb GVWR) van loaded to just under 4000kg or ~8800 pounds; figure 55/45 weight distribution so 4100lb/1860kg on back axle... It was Cadillac mushy in parking lots / side streets but felt okay out on the highway, smooth and quiet with the load in it. Photo taken after 1200 mile cruise to destination.

I think* it was sagged toward back some...

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never realized that was an option. How do you specify it when ordering at the dealer?
It is called the RV Van Package
I used the van builder website at; https://www.chrysler.ca/preferredcustomer/en/ you just go to FCA Canada Employees and Retirees section and put in the password; employee
make sure you type in lower case letters. There you can build any vehicle in their lineup and see employee discounts and incentives for Canadian employees. If you know an employee you can get their friends and family discount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum.

I’m not sure what the $5600 RV package is but it sounds like overkill to me the same for extra heavy duty suspension. I would definately warn you against that. The only real thing I dislike about my 2500 159 high top is the rear suspension. It is way to stiff for a camper and I think you will be very unsatisfied with the ride. Instead, I would suggest you go the opposite direction and order the softer passenger suspension.
The suspension only comes with two options heavy duty suspension standard and premium heavy duty suspension for $200 more. I do not see any passenger suspension option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Window van here with $95 Heavy Duty Suspension option... No one in sales or service knew the differences that option supplied. I've not driven a 159" WB that didn't have the HD option.

No complaints about it being a truck suspension. When empty on rough roads the 72psi rear tire inflation transmits a lot of shocks but smooth new pavement makes up for it.

Ditching the Vanco 225/75R16C euro-rated commercial tires for Michelin Defender LTX M&S LT245-75-16's 120/116R really quieted things down.

I failed to take measurements this last trip but here is a photo of 159" 2500 (8900lb GVWR) van loaded to just under 4000kg or ~8800 pounds; figure 55/45 weight distribution so 4100lb/1860kg on back axle... It was Cadillac mushy in parking lots / side streets but felt okay out on the highway, smooth and quiet with the load in it. Photo taken after 1200 mile cruise to destination.

I think* it was sagged toward back some...
Thanks for the info, I will not get the premium heavy duty suspension option.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum. I'm in Markham if you ever want to drop by to see my build. Check out some of my posts to see what I've done, or @ShaunBike on instagram.

Shaun
Thanks ShaunB, I will gladly check out your posts to see your build. I am from the Windsor area.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently ordered a 2500 159", as far as I was aware the 2018's come with the back-up camera and therefore Uconnect 5 as standard equipment due to the incoming legislation on back-up cameras..at least i hope so because I wanted one :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I believe is statement is true.

If you get a cargo van it comes with HD suspension.
If you get a window van it comes with touring suspension and the option is HD suspension.

You maybe able to order touring leafs and add them later.

Someone with an factory window van should be able to say if there is a difference.
That was my understanding as well. I'm pretty sure you can't order a cargo van with the Touring suspension

1 - 15 of 15 Posts