Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Considering buying a PM 2500 to make a camper out of (the factory built conversions are stupid expensive) For my wife and I to travel. Now the dilemma. I'd like to get the high roof, but want to garage it in an 8' tall door. I see they are listed as 101" tall, and my door is 96" tall. Not sure how much drop it would see with the weight of the conversion. Are there any lowering kits for them? I could change to low pro tires when garaging, but that would be a pain. Maybe not as bad as walking through the van hunched over with a low roof. I seen someone makes a wheel chair conversion that drops the rear 4-5" for loading, but it is listed as only working in park with the brake set. I would only need to drive it in the garage, then it could go back up. Probably no good solution, but I had to ask!

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
You will not get a tall van through an eight foot door. In fact I built my van garage with eight foot 6 inch doors and until I took out the second leaf from the rear I couldn’t get it through. I do have 2 1/2” of vent/solar on top.
Hire a carpenter to raise the header and install a 9” door (or 8’6” if you must). Don’t buy a short van as you will regret it for the life of the van.
Welcome.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't plan on putting anything on the roof. If the van is 101" tall, I'm only 5" short. I can remove a leaf and get the rear down 2.5" from what I read. I can air down the rear tires 3" to get it in the garage if needed (maybe?). My town will not allow a bigger door on the garage. My 8' door is grandfathered in.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
concrete saw will make two trenches real fast

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
My van when accurately measured was 102+” and now with the leaf out it is 99+” Good luck getting another 3 1/2" inches after pulling the spring. Have you measured the height of your opening? Most doors are 1-1 1/2 inches shorter than the nominal due to framing, jam and the stop. Mine is a full 102+” so I am within 1/2”+- At the point I am the front is only 1” lower than the back so you would need to lower that 2+”. I suggested the carpenter as lowering probably will be more $. If you slam the van there are folks here who have tried with some success.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't plan on putting anything on the roof. If the van is 101" tall, I'm only 5" short. I can remove a leaf and get the rear down 2.5" from what I read. I can air down the rear tires 3" to get it in the garage if needed (maybe?). My town will not allow a bigger door on the garage. My 8' door is grandfathered in.
I'll be the bubble burster. It's not going to happen. Airing down to get 3+ inches is going to be **** on your tires even just going in and out of the garage. I'd be concerned about popping the bead. If you really need to make this work, go find a shop in town that specializes in putting air bags suspensions on cars to "slam" them to the ground, and tell them you have a challenge for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I was hoping the weight of the conversion would bring it down a couple inches, maybe I'm just trying too hard to make this happen. Maybe I'm stuck with the low roof, if I decide to buy one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome from the Chicagoland area. Currently doing a conversion myself. If you lube up your van and get a running start, it will slide right into your garage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You will not get a tall van through an eight foot door. In fact I built my van garage with eight foot 6 inch doors and until I took out the second leaf from the rear I couldn’t get it through. I do have 2 1/2” of vent/solar on top.
Hire a carpenter to raise the header and install a 9” door (or 8’6” if you must). Don’t buy a short van as you will regret it for the life of the van.
Welcome.
That's not true. You can do it once.

Sorry, could not resist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts