Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I've been looking at getting some sort of RV for the past six years and rented a few different options -- Airstreams, etc. Recently got the funds and guts to make something happen for myself :) It's going to be primarily a mobile office but also a surf excursion van.

I haven't bought anything just yet, but have found someone to do the conversion. The time has come and am excited about it! Recently, I've been looking at Sprinters but deep down have been so lusting over the Italian vibe of these Promasters. Definitely got a little sucked into the Sprinter vortex (it's so strong) but finally snapped out of it and allowing myself to follow my heart.

I'm liking the 136" wb, high roof. But I love the 118" wb. Has anyone ever put a high top on one of those? I've seen some pop-top videos, but a fixed high roof would be so cool on that. Has this been discussed somewhere? I couldn't find it.

Thanks and nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
Welcome!

You'll find lots of ideas here. To me, the 118 with a high roof would look a bit awkward. The 118 low roof has a certain vibe that makes is a neat little package, unlike the small Transit that looks like someone squished it on top!

I love the size of my 159 Hi roof, but is sounds like you're interested in a more compact unit, so the 136 Hi would be a perfect fit for you (and your back, neck, shoulders - you know, all the parts that will be scrunched over in a low roof)... just my opinion but, the cost of "high-ing" a 118 will probably be more than the additional cost of an already "high-ed" 136 Hi Roof... and you get more length in the deal!

Ed

ps. visit the "Floorplans" thread for lots of ideas on how to best use the space you get!

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,524 Posts
Put the 136" in perspective. Shorter than my regular cab 2006 (pre-behemoth) Tundra. Turning radius approaches that of the Corolla.

While the 118" is cute as a bug as-is, there's probably good reason it doesn't come with solid high roof. It would probably resemble the high-roof Sprinters and Transits that look like they're about to tumble over.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Go to Fiberine they now have a top for a low roof transit, you will have to ask them if a top is available for Promaster. To get an idea of the "look" click on the Transit to see more pics.

Dollar for dollar, 136 high roof is cheaper. If you found a really low price 118 and you want to standout a 30" super camper top would do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the help!!

I went and saw and test drove the 118" and the 136" high roof 1500 and 2500 today.

Man the 118" is cool but the 136" seems perfect for want. Also with the input here realizing a high roof might look cobbled on there.

I didn't spend much time looking at the 2500 because the guy said the only difference was the payload. But looking at the sheet now - is the 2500 actually 10" taller than the 1500? Is that height available space in the unit?

·
Registered
371 Posts
We have a 136 low roof that is perfect for our needs. My wife can stand up in it and it fits our bed, cabinet fridge and microwave and has storage under the bed. Definitely recommend it over the 118.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
This is the sheet I was referring to. Looks like 2500 height is 99.4" as opposed to 88.7".
You can't go by that at all. If you measure actual different models on the lot you will discover the heights vary by several inches sometimes. As RD can attest!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes the 99.4" is actually 102+ so the garage door I built 102” (8’6”)thinking I had 3” to spare is too low to put the van in!

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is the sheet I was referring to. Looks like 2500 height is 99.4" as opposed to 88.7".
The table is like that because the 2500 is a high roof and the 1500 is a low roof. The dimensions given are (roughly) those of a high roof versus low roof, not 2500 versus 1500. Not all combinations of wheelbase, roof height, and 1500-2500-3500 actually exist. There's no high roof 118" wheelbase, there's no "2500" 118" wheelbase, and at the other end, there's no low roof 159" wheelbase. The biggest overlap is in the medium wheelbase, which could be either a low roof or high roof, or 1500 or 2500, although I don't think all combinations exist.

Unless you are pushing the limits of GVWR (and even a 1500 has a pretty high load rating), I wouldn't sweat the difference between 1500 and 2500 - they're trivial. Same body, same drivetrain. Rear springs are different and that's about it.

I opted for a low roof medium wheelbase because I can stand up with my head ducked, even in the low roof, so there was no need for the high roof - and the low roof means the van is punching a smaller hole in the air (should be a little easier on fuel) and the height of a high roof is a limiting factor for getting into some places ... such as underneath a balcony that extends over part of the driveway at my house.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts