Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2014 cutaway 3500. Just completed a 1800 mile trip and averaged 14.8 mpg. Have rear Sumo Springs and the Hellwig Sway Bar coming soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Marty,

Do you have the electric retractable mirrors on your Trend? We have a Viva and it mentions them on an Winnebago video and we have the large mirrors that I dearly love, but I can't find anything in owners manual regarding where the switch is to retract and extend the mirrors electrically.

joebeador

·
Registered
53 Posts
No power retractable mirrors. It is an option from FCA. I suspect that Winne decided not to order chassis's with the option or maybe availability issues from FCA. I did discover that the lower convex mirrors are remote also!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
On a 2014 cutaway 3500. Just completed a 1800 mile trip and averaged 14.8 mpg. Have rear Sumo Springs and the Hellwig Sway Bar coming soon.
Marty, that's impressive for a gasoline RV that size. Can you share what type of driving that 1800 mile trip included? Like terrain, speed, etc... We've compared the Trend vs Travato a couple of times. Still undecided on unit size. Want larger but able to park at home -- and can't have both.

Also, what led you to order the Sumo Springs and Hellwig sway bar? Does it feel overloaded at rear?

By the way, I noticed you're from Kerrville. I assume that's in Texas Hill Country. I love that area, particularly to bike ride (as in bicycle).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Chance,

My bike riding here requires an engine. :)

The trip was from TX to MO, so a lot of rolling hills, hence the busy transmission. Speed averaged 62-63 mph. The Trend is pretty solid suspension wise, compared to the four Sprinter based rigs we've owned. We've had two B's, a C, and the Winnebago Via which we'll call an A. Torn as to what to install first with the suspension. I want less lean in the corners, but don't want to stiffen the ride. Generally "sqrium" comes from the soft sidewall of the tires.

We really loved the "handy" size of the B's. but after having the extra room of the Via, we wanted more space again. Our Winne ERA was also 24ft as it used the Sprinter 170E extended van.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
...cut...

We really loved the "handy" size of the B's. but after having the extra room of the Via, we wanted more space again. Our Winne ERA was also 24ft as it used the Sprinter 170E extended van.
Even though these units are all in the 24- to 25-ft length range, it makes sense that the extra width and height makes a big difference in livable space. I'm guessing the Via also had a slide so it had more room still. Would love your opinion on the slide, and how it affects space during the day while on the road when it's retracted. Every unit I've seen with slide(s) I loved when out, but hated them when in. Sense we travel more than camp in one place for days, I've resisted slides. Others swear by them.

Anyway, if Fiat made a longer version of Ducato/ProMaster in same range as longest Sprinter, then maybe the decision would be a little easier. The Euro taller roof would add a lot of extra storage space too.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
While you are shopping, look at the Dynamax REV RB. We bought one.
Nice units. I've seen them in Texas and Florida at RV shows. They seem to be built similar to other Dynamax products -- meaning stout. I mean that in a good way.

The heavy-duty construction, while good to make them durable, also seems to add a lot of weight. Have you weighed yours? I'd be interested in results.

There was a thread a while back by MarkD (I believe that's the right person) on his REV, and he had issues with the rear axle being overloaded. The units I saw appeared to be fairly heavy also at rear based on visual inspection. Would be nice to know if that issue has been addressed by Dynamax.

For what it's worth, I've seen pictures of European Ducato RVs that were even bigger (presumably heavier too) but used tandem rear axles. I guess the rest of the chassis can handle the extra weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Marty,

Thanks for the response on the retractable mirrors. I still love them for their practicality! Let's keep in touch and swap experiences on the identical units. Ours is a 23B and we have already bought an inflatable mattress for the sofa which after removing the foam mattress on the loft, gave us mountains of storage in the empty loft. We now store all our air mattress, sheets, pillows and blankets there along with extra sweatshirts, and other misc. gear in the loft. It is much more readily available than storing below the dinette and completely frees up the under dinette storage. I lined all the cupboards and under dinette storage with indoor/outdoor carpet to deaden sounds and built a false floor in the outside storage so I could store the jack, air compressor and other items not required every day but necessary to carry and yet, have the entire outside storage for lawn chairs, tools, an outdoor rug etc.

I also removed the closet rod in the bathroom storage area and replaced it with two shelves since we're out of the hanging clothes business when traveling with RV.

In keeping with the spirit of the forum, I also contacted Dodge Customer Support to get more info on the TPMS since tires are so important in an RV loading senerio. They promised to get back with me this week with an answer on the parameters of the system.

I'm hoping for a respectable 15 mpg with the unit and that would make me a happy camper!

Happy travels from Roseburg, Oregon.

Regards, Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts