Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

been considering to purchase a large van for a while, finally found this forum, it is really hard to find an inventory in Canada, especially in Winnipeg MB, it is 0. Have read many threads,learning a lot from members here, thanks for sharing.

In the meanwhile, there are only 3 choices (selling from 2 dealers),

Option 1,

2015, 136WB Low roof gas, A/C, radio, has very basic optional equipment, ie.non-power mirror, tow, etc. has 29K KM now, dealer asking $28,991 CAD

Option 2

2016, 136wb low roof gas, dealer ordered it for $38,840, this one coming with many equipments, 21A,double passenger's seat
6-way driver lumbar adjust
Cargo partition without window
Power folding heated exterior mirrors
Uconnect 5.0-in. Touch/Hands-free
communication/CD
GPS antenna input
Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
5-inch touchscreen
Media hub with USB port and auxiliary
input jack
Hands-free communication with Bluetooth
streaming
ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera

this one is used by dealer now, the sale's manager said that can sell it to me if I want it, but I have not got its price from the dealer.

Option 3

Another dealer, 2014, 118 wb, low roof, diesel, 500km, equipment similar to option 2 except back-up camera, gps. asking $39,194

The purpose of buying a PM is for pleasure, not for working, but would also consider being used as a travel van.

Would please help to give some advice for choosing one from 3 of them? Probably I may focus on the best value.

Thanks,

Leo.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ultimately you would need to decide what you plan to do with the van. A 118" is pretty small if you plan to convert it into a camper style. Also, is the luxury of being able to stand up straight and walk around in the back important?

I would think option 1 is the best of the bunch, this leaves plenty of extra dollars to make your van your own. Add an inexpensive touch screen with back up camera.

Option 2, half of the "add-ons" are part of the Uconnect system, which I personally didnt care for and took mine out. The power mirrors consistently break on my van so I never use them. However I could see needing the heated mirrors where you live, north FL very rarely gets frost. The only thing I would miss out of option 2 is the steering wheel controls and the back up camera.

The 136" wheel base seems to be a great starting point for creating a moded motorhome, family cruiser, adventure mobile, etc. I wouldnt look back for a second on buying my 159" high roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ultimately you would need to decide what you plan to do with the van. A 118" is pretty small if you plan to convert it into a camper style. Also, is the luxury of being able to stand up straight and walk around in the back important?

I would think option 1 is the best of the bunch, this leaves plenty of extra dollars to make your van your own. Add an inexpensive touch screen with back up camera.

Option 2, half of the "add-ons" are part of the Uconnect system, which I personally didnt care for and took mine out. The power mirrors consistently break on my van so I never use them. However I could see needing the heated mirrors where you live, north FL very rarely gets frost. The only thing I would miss out of option 2 is the steering wheel controls and the back up camera.

The 136" wheel base seems to be a great starting point for creating a moded motorhome, family cruiser, adventure mobile, etc. I wouldnt look back for a second on buying my 159" high roof.
Hi Andrew, thanks, you are right, I need a towing package, already got a dash camera which has two cameras, dont really fancy other equipment, cause most time using laptop to entertaining. I did a test driving today, the power mirrors seems which having some problems when folding/up.

I found an aftermarket made heating mirror pad for only 14 bucks on ebay, but requiring some skills to deal with mirrors.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I agree. A recent diesel will be no problem. One that has sat for a year or more seemingly will be more likely to have some code issues which may take time to fix. A 2014 or very early 2015 that has sat for almost two years may be asking for it. If I could do without the van for weeks on end and the dealer would change out the DEF, flash the computer to latest specs, and drive it for about 200 miles before I picked it up I might do it for a great discount which it should be.

BTW I have made it an avocation to buy 10+ year old motorcycles and scooters which run badly and get them going. It requires a lot of patience and some knowledge of carburetors and fuel injection. Often they are near giveaway prices but very low mileage. My current is a 2002 Honda Metropolitan with 138 miles on it! Runs great now and worth about $700 more than I paid as the owner was at wits end. These vans can present similiar problems but FCA needs to warrantee and fix them. Buy fresh!

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
And you can repair them with only a Leathermaster when necessary!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. A recent diesel will be no problem. One that has sat for a year or more seemingly will be more likely to have some code issues which may take time to fix. A 2014 or very early 2015 that has sat for almost two years may be asking for it. If I could do without the van for weeks on end and the dealer would change out the DEF, flash the computer to latest specs, and drive it for about 200 miles before I picked it up I might do it for a great discount which it should be.

BTW I have made it an avocation to buy 10+ year old motorcycles and scooters which run badly and get them going. It requires a lot of patience and some knowledge of carburetors and fuel injection. Often they are near giveaway prices but very low mileage. My current is a 2002 Honda Metropolitan with 138 miles on it! Runs great now and worth about $700 more than I paid as the owner was at wits end. These vans can present similiar problems but FCA needs to warrantee and fix them. Buy fresh!
RD, thanks for the advice, it seems the dealer does not care these PM sat here for such long time. they got 2 , 2014, 3 ,2015, offer $6000 off from msrp for a 2015, 136WB HR diesel, no big deal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
leorisker,

I second RD's advice "buy fresh"! Each year the PM gets better. With a 2016 the odds are in your favour that you will not need to visit the dealer on warranty issues. This could be super important in your case as I bet from the limited choice you have in dealers and inventory means they have very little expertise in fixing the PM.

I would not limit your buy to your local dealers, look outside your provence, its not a problem to have the PM delivered or fly there and drive back. I'd look in ONT, BC, and Alta.

Unless you can stand up in the low roof I would recommend the high roof.

Happy hunting,

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
leorisker,

I second RD's advice "buy fresh"! Each year the PM gets better. With a 2016 the odds are in your favour that you will not need to visit the dealer on warranty issues. This could be super important in your case as I bet from the limited choice you have in dealers and inventory means they have very little expertise in fixing the PM.

I would not limit your buy to your local dealers, look outside your provence, its not a problem to have the PM delivered or fly there and drive back. I'd look in ONT, BC, and Alta.

Unless you can stand up in the low roof I would recommend the high roof.

Happy hunting,

Dave
Thanks Dave, hunting nationwide, I am bit struggling on low/high roof, I want to put a canoe on roof, high roof might not be able to do it, keep hunting and thinking,head twisted.:(

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I too have a canoe that I thought I could carry once in a while. I would have installed temporary racks just for the ocasion as my solar is already up there. Trust me you will not be putting a boat on the roof of a high top without two ladders as any bracket is going to put that boat 9 feet above the ground! I just can't see carrying two ladders to get it off at the put in. If I installed a ladder on the rear door I could get by with one other one but I have just come to the conclusion carrying the canoe is not going to happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts