Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the Promaster (1500 136" tall diesel), and very excited to get started.
I appreciate any information or help you can offer to get me started, both big projects and small.

BIG projects:
Propane Onan 2500 mounting in the rear - relocate spare to the rear door. Got leads on the spare holder? Anyone mounted gennys there?
Lithium Ion Battery - mounting just behind the DEF tank (gonna re-configure Nissan Leaf modules)
HappiJack bed and benches - why are they so hard to find and buy? Who has them?
Propane tank - mounting the Vanagon one (VANO-EVC-LP-KIT)
Solar Panels - 4 SunPower SPR-X21-345 (Yes, I have a plan to mount these and still have rooftop space left over for the A/C!)
Charge Controller - how to safely get that power into Li-Ion cells without apocalyptic fire and news coverage.
Inverter / charger - how to safely use or charge that battery without apocalyptic fire and drama.
Air/Con - Looking at the Coleman Mach 1 PS
Folding Sink - either: GR-586 RV Caravan Camper Stainless Steel Hand Wash Basin Kitchen Sink with Lid GR-586 - OR - GR-600R Boat Caravan Camper Burner Gas Stove Hob and Sink Combo With Glass Lid GR-600R

Smaller projects:
Re-locate E-brake cable mechanism - it looks like there's a way to move it back one frame rail so I can make room for my Li-Ion battery bank.
Seat Pivots - EuroCamper is out of stock, but Northern tool has cheap ones that are non- DOT. Worth the risk? Will I die??
Cabinetry
Flooring
Wall paneling
Insulation - I'd LOVE to hear your ideas!
and finally...
DPF - I'll need to do that 'DELETE' thing everyone talks about. There's a guy on eBay doing the software for $800, but I'll need to to the hardware as well, and do it in a way that looks like nothing was done. Any 'one stop shop' ion SoCal you can recommend would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for all your input. I'll be happy to share as I go, too.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,026 Posts
Welcome. The common recommendation is that Lithium batteries should be installed inside. Swivels R Us has swivels that are preferred by some over the Eurocamper. Consider the seat lowering base also, unless you are tall.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
You won't be able to make a 12V battery out of leaf battery packs. You won't be able to charge from the alternator and your inverter/solar controller will have to accept higher voltages. Then you'll need a DC to DC converter to get your 12V appliances to run (water pump, lights, chargers, USB, heater, ect.). It's also not a safe chemistry like you mentioned. Lifepo4 would be safer and easier in a van. And as TomD said, they are usually better to be installed inside the van as you can't charge below freezing. If you don't live somewhere that gets that cold (awesome), then this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Curious why you're cooking with propane on a diesel van with lithium. I assume you'd want lithium for power appliances like electric kettle and induction cooktop.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
I'm assuming this is a joke to see how many people will respond.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ok, we'll bite . . . and respond. Having read nebulight's comments, we jumped to the net to discover what 'Nissan leaf modules' are and 'second' nebulight's concerns. May we ask, what to do you see as the benefits of these Nissan batteries that justify departing the mainstream of RV lithium?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
Leaf is 300vdc 65ah if I remember correctly.
A Leaf module is 7.5v reconfigure battery pack to get 15v and whole thing is 20kw?
Junk yard battery, $2500-$3000
My inverter is rated to 16v.
weights what 400lbs?

I don't know what the BMS would cost.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Leaf is 300vdc 65ah if I remember correctly.
A Leaf module is 7.5v reconfigure battery pack to get 15v and whole thing is 20kw?
Junk yard battery, $2500-$3000
My inverter is rated to 16v.
weights what 400lbs?

I don't know what the BMS would cost.
But a fully charged cell can reach 8.4 so you'd end up with a 16.8v battery which is a lot for many 12V applications. You could get a high quality inverter (magnum goes to 16.8v and victron goes to 17) and a DC-DC buck-boost converter to bring it down to 13v for most of your dc appliances, but you've still got the safety issue to worry about plus shore charging as most 12v inverter chargers max charge settings is 16v so you'll never be able to fully charge your battery. You'd only be able to charge with solar, but even some of those the max at at lower voltages.

I've said this in a lot of places, but you CAN use other chemistries for lithium, but you should use lifepo4. Simplicity, safety and cycle life are the main draw of lifepo4. Yea it's more expensive, but if you treat your batteries well, they will outlive your van.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,442 Posts
Didn't know about the 8.4. I had seen some Leaf batteries reconfigured, thought the potential was there, but it's pricey for me.

Any I'm fine with my 2 FLA GC2s.

Now back to the OP with everything but the kitchen sink.

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
We are all going to get a charge out of this build for sure;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts