Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, my names Tony. I bought a diesel Promaster with 22k miles on it to convert into a campervan. I've insulated it, added an espar heater and have done alot of other work to the van. Its comming along nicely, but I just ran into a DEF snafu, so I decided to register instead of just lurking. I've already gotten so many good ideas from members here, and have learned about the most common problems. I experienced 2 within a few months! At 23000 miles my rear parking brakes grenaded and locked up one of the rear wheels. After alot of arguing with the dealer, they replaced the two emergency brake cables and did my brakes under warranty. Now Im dealing with the DEF. I added it from a sealed container from the dealer, and two days later the service engine soon light lights up and I have 200 miles till my speed is limited.
Did I mention I live in Minnesota, which cold climates seem to exacerbate both situations.
My BFG All Terrains sure get around better than the stock tires!
Other than my problems, that honestly I expected, shes been a great van.
Ill get some pics up asap.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
What was the code that resulted in the CEL?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Instavan/Tony - I've seen a flavor of that on mine.... You might try pulling the shield off the DEF tank and check/exercise the wiring/plugs connections, not that involved fastener-wise yet once that code has been locked in I don't know if the countdown will vanish once trouble is cleared or if it still will need dealer reset... Note the countdown expiring does not cripple a vehicle being driven at speed, only on restart or if it senses refueling (zero-speed) after counter stops - I did 350~ miles returning to Twin Cities from Illinois Turnpike after the countdown started on restart from refueling at a Turnpike Oasis, a loose plug was the culprit....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read a few stories that have said the "200 mile" doesnt actually mean 200 miles.
I put in 2.5 gallons of Mopar DEF from the dealer a week after I bought it. Kept it in my house, then 2 days later I got the code about servicing the def. Brought it to the dealership and of course they were stumped, because I guess theres only like 20 of these diesels in the country LOL. They drained the tank, and installed new, tried to clear the codes and they couldnt. Now heres the part I want clarification on. They told me they had to drive the vehicle at highway speeds above 20 degrees ambient temp. After a week and a half of below zero temps, they installed a new ECU and got the limp mode reset.
In this time they dented my van and covered it with touch up paint, and deny doing it.
I wanna know if they were blowing smoke up my bum and were just stalling to try to get the dent fixed.
Now I am fighting them to get my dent repaired.

On a side note, I just got back from a 3000 mile road trip across the top of the US in sub zero temps without a single problem... Except 16 mpgs below zero. 21 mpg most of the time tho.
Thanks for the welcome and the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts