Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking at a 2015 Promaster (gas) for some van dwelling this next year. There is a 136 V6 in my area for $21,000 with 25,000 mies. There are more then a few in my area but this one was the one I looked at. I'm 6'7" so the cargo area was really nice to see in person today.

My research shows that there was some issue with breaks on the 2014 model. It looks as though this was worked out on the 2015 model. Edmonds has some pretty bad reviews for this van, but it seems more then a few of them are personal objections to seat, handling, etc. and not much comment on mechanical issues. This helps me to keep an open mind towards the van.

Was also looking at the Chevy Express, but at my height this one would not be as comfortable.

I'm wondering what your impression is on the group consensus on these vans? In particular year 2015 and 2014. If I'm going to live in this van for awhile, and on a limited budget, I want a van that I can count on. To have to be in a shop regularly, or if the out of the way places that I will be traveling through don't have parts to work on this van, etc. These are the type of things I'm thinking about.

We know all vehicles need maintenance and have occasional problems, but I wonder if you feel this is a pretty reliable van for the longer term?

Thank you for your insights.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
A Chevy Express is like driving a Model T when compared to the Promaster! Don't believe any of the nonsense you read on Edmonds. These are absolutely the best fans out there!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Welcome,
It is reliable. That 2014 should have had the early van issues worked out. Many had brake squeal, not a big deal and no safety issue, some had door adjustment and lock issues, some had leaky radiators, and finally some had rear spring bushings squeak. Look for these things. The radiator will smell sweet if it is leaking but you won't see the leak. Drive it for more than a few miles to check out the brakes and bushings. Try the doors. I think all thse things were gone by the first half of 2015 production, mine had none of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can ask a about a Carfax I suppose. This one is at a Chevy dealer.

I had kind of limited my search to the 2015s, but with the comments here I feel a little more comfortable looking at the 2014s as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This has been a major stumbling block for me, especially in light of comparison to Ford Tansit's many service options - Virtually every town of any size.

I want a van that I can count on. To have to be in a shop regularly, or if the out of the way places that I will be traveling through don't have parts to work on this van, etc. These are the type of things I'm thinking about.
Was appalled to learn that the big local Ram Truck dealer & next nearest big Ram Truck dealer do not sell, service, or stock parts for ProMaster. Only Ram Truck BusinessLink dealers handle ProMaster & their reputations are not great.

Even from home I'm faced with a 4-5 hour round trip for ProMaster service. Hard to imagine if it conked out & had to be towed - Without ever traveling to "the out of the way places that I will" want to take a ProMaster to.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
This is part of the reason Ford will always out sell FCA and FCA will out sell Sprinter. It isn't always who has the "best" van, or best price, or is most reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts