Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,268 Posts
I'm not sure what an average height person gains by having a really super high roof, return on cost would be low.

I'm not sure how tall a person could be and also be comfortable driving a Promaster.

It reminds me of Jeremy Clarkson's RV

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think a taller roof should go beyond offering additional standup room for taller individuals -- it should also provide additional design options. I'd personally prefer the factory Ducato high roof which is about 7-ft inside, but not because I'm that tall. For me the Ducato middle roof (PM high roof) is plenty to stand even after insulation. However, if I can't garage it anyway, it might as well be taller and more spacious.

Design options with an even taller roof could include larger upper cabinets for added storage, added space for platform beds, permanent bed over dinette or couch, etc.

One design option that I recall from a Westfalia or Mercedes camper van that had a much taller roof was placing the bathroom a little higher so grey holding tank is inside van to prevent freezing. The shower was elevated with grey tank at floor elevation, and used simple gravity drain (no pump).

This picture of inside shows larger upper storage cabinets.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,268 Posts
Good point. One could level out the floor and put cut outs for batteries, use flat rectangular tanks between the two floors. I think some people who are in the 5 foot range could do the same with a HR now.

This guy build out a superhigh Ducato.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,539 Posts
...One could level out the floor and put cut outs for batteries, use flat rectangular tanks between the two floors. I think some people who are in the 5 foot range could do the same with a HR now.
That has worked out well for me, although I didn't use the "basement" for tanks, it would be easy to do.

In my case I wanted the extra storage instead of more air space (head room) at the top of the van. At 5'5", we still have plenty of headroom and the storage is usable for various purposes. Originally I wanted a space to carry 4x8 plywood sheets or 2x4s under the floor, and I still use it for that. But I have added drawers so I now keep all kinds of stuff in the basement.

Back storage = all my shore power hookups, hoses, telescoping ladder, floor mats for van entry, axe, knife, saw, butane stoves, frypans, cooking utensils... and a portable folding 4' x 6' model railroad layout!

Side storage = 2 HF outdoor folding chairs, extra shoes, trains & cars (see above)

I ended up with about 68" above the finished floor to the almost finished ceiling... not sure where I would have put all the stuff in the basement if it wasn't there!

Added benefits: 1) step up into van is still less than a transit, 2) floor is flush with cab floor so walkout from cab to back area is level. Basement is 6" high

1 - 5 of 5 Posts