Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hymercar, the huge German RV maker has set up shop in Michigan at a Spartan motors plant.
Their first model, the Grand Canyon, is a class B on the PM 3500. This is the same configuration they mostly use in Europe.
Rumors have been flying around in the RV business the last couple years about them coming here. I figure they were waiting for the PM to get going well to start production up.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2015/01/hymercar-grand-canyon-intros-at-tampa-show-2/

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,822 Posts
Yes, this is really big. Hyper is hot stuff in Europe. With competition coming from across the water, Winnebago needs to start paying attention to quality control.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Saw the Hymer "Grand Cayon" at the Tampa RV SuperShow a couple of days ago. Talked to the Hymer folks from Germany at some length. The conversions will be done in Michigan and their USA distributor will be based in Florida. MSRP $99,000. Build guality looked above average, component quality is very high - a lot of European sourced systems. It certainly looked like they have a vehicle that should do well in the US market.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve, their units in Europe are very highly thought of and win alot of awards for design.
Anxious to see what they develop into in North America

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
European invasion. Lower cost/Lighter/small footprint/low floor height/low roof height.
I think it will still take time for the North American's to accept what the Ducato/Promaster
is capable of.
Thanks for posting bobojay.
Makes me want to go out and buy one:eek:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also saw ProMaster coversions from SportsMobile, Pleasureway, Roadtrek, Winnebago and at least one other I can't remember. Everyone seems to think the PM will be a very popular chassis in a couple of years.

Of the PMs I saw I liked the Sportsmobile offering the best but Hymer was the most innovative.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hope they bring all the sweet accessories with em! Stuff is real hard to find in the Pac NW. Im on this site daily looking for custom parts info!

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Of the PMs I saw I liked the Sportsmobile offering the best but Hymer was the most innovative.

I haven't seen the Promaster Sportsmobile but every Sportsmobile I have seen looks like a DIY. I went to the LA RV show this year and was stunned to see new models that looked unchanged in the last 10 years. Same parts and materials.

The Hymercar looks to be the new best option in the US. The Travato is not too far behind since it has a euro, contemporary CAD with Italian Tecnoform furniture.

I'm happy to finally see more contemporary designs come to the U.S. Why is it that the U.S. RV market is almost exclusively traditional interior design? The euro market is almost all contemporary interior design.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
886 Posts
Contemporary home interiors are way more popular in Europe than here, so guessing the same trend for RVs makes sense.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Awesome info on these new Rv's ! It will be an exciting few years to come.

We made to Florida this weekend. Towing at 9100 lbs total weight and was able to get 22.35 mpg. 503 miles/ 22.4 gallons of diesel. Had to only make 1 stop and made to Florida. That's amazing fuel mileage that I've been consistently getting. These PMs are amazing and love my van :)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I also saw ProMaster coversions from SportsMobile, Pleasureway, Roadtrek, Winnebago and at least one other I can't remember. Everyone seems to think the PM will be a very popular chassis in a couple of years.

Steve, did you get pictures of the Sportsmobile? I've been waiting a year to see what they come up with. The only picture I've seen is of low-roof model minus the penthouse roof. It was still under construction.

Even if you don't have pictures to post, will you share a description? Anything will be great as I hope to see the same or similar model in Houston RV show in a couple of weeks -- assuming SMB is there. Was it low or high roof van, penthouse, van length, general layout, etc....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Steve, did you get pictures of the Sportsmobile?
Here are some pics of the SportMobile (sorry about the picture quality, new camera) It's the first PM conversion they've done. A 2500, 159WB, High Top, Gas. They apparently will give you the same ability to "design your own" (within limits) that they offer with the other platforms.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have thought they'd use a 3500. That's what I'd want....

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I just can't get my head around spending another $48k for the conversion! I think most of us could do as good a job, if not better, for unde $10k!

After all, it is only a van in the end! I guess it's a good thing for the RV industry that people who think like I do are in the minority:laugh:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I just can't get my head around spending another $48k for the conversion! I think most of us could do as good a job, if not better, for unde $10k!

After all, it is only a van in the end! I guess it's a good thing for the RV industry that people who think like I do are in the minority:laugh:
We just have to find a company that will mount a generator, propane tank, 2 batteries, and a few water tanks under the van, and we can do the rest, right? I'd be in for that! :D

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
We just have to find a company that will mount a generator, propane tank, 2 batteries, and a few water tanks under the van, and we can do the rest, right? I'd be in for that! :D

Ed
None of those are particularly hard or even expensive to do if you want to do it yourself!

·
Registered
358 Posts
What's the deal with the toilet in the hole?
It's also the shower when it's opeded up, counter space when closed. It's actuall a pretty good use of space, if you want/need both a toilet and shower.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts