Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this New Promaster Yesterday, I'm a plumbing contractor and hoping I can get a lot of life out of this new Promaster. I love the space and lower entry point into the cargo area. I'm hoping the 3.0L Ecodiesel proves to be a good engine, some of the commits here make me nervous about the issues happening under 1000 miles.....

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congratulations. Don"t be nervous, there are way more diesel pms without issues than the few with issues that you read about here. A friend of mine is approaching 30k on his with 0 issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured there had to be some out there with good results. I have a freind with a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel(I know its a v6 and different) but his is doing great at close to 30,000 miles. I'm has been great so far for 113 miles lol.

Not a Power Wagon in garage(wish I had one), but a 1992 Ram D150 with a 318 mag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting a little concerned, I have 300 miles on the van now. So far the malfunctioning indicator light(MIL) keeps coming on. Maybe I got poor fuel from the dealer? But this morning the electronic throttle control indicator light (ETC) came on. I sure hope I don't get a lemon.....

Thoughts? I let my van idol this morning, are the modern-day diesel are not supposed idol?

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Modern day automotive diesels are not supposed to idle. idling causes lots of emissions problems. If you don't want to shut it down you need to fast idle it. I'm not sure if the Promaster diesel has a fast idling option but I know the Sprinter does for sure. You should look into it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The mil comes on, then off? What's the code? Have you taken it to the dealer? Don't waste time, the lemon law for my state is 30 working days in the shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The MIL has come on in two different situations then goes away. The ETC came on once then went away. I'm gonna call dealer tomorrow, the van drives fine. I've heard there was issues with the computer needing to be reset? Hoping its just a false alarm.

I'm very pleased with the van so far, just the lights coming on got me nervous

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Took delivery of a 3500 Ext. Diesel on 4/21. 4/22 I experienced my first Electronic Throttle Control warning light. Vehicle drives fine so far, so that's my only symptom. Dealer says they can't fit me into the service department for weeks.

I am trying to learn anything I can about the ETC system, what it looks like, where it is, what it does. I am really having a hard time finding information.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Took delivery of a 3500 Ext. Diesel on 4/21. 4/22 I experienced my first Electronic Throttle Control warning light. Vehicle drives fine so far, so that's my only symptom. Dealer says they can't fit me into the service department for weeks.

I am trying to learn anything I can about the ETC system, what it looks like, where it is, what it does. I am really having a hard time finding information.
Completely unacceptable....1 day old & warning lights coming on but, we`ll get to you in in a few weeks??? I would be at the service dept. making a SCENE!!! They would be missing a few oil changes to get me outta there...

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts

Contact Chrysler directly and go to another dealer. Their response is ridiculous and outrageous!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the light comes on about 50% of the time, always for the morning commute, and usually goes away around noon when I take it out for lunch or something. Still haven't noticed any difference with the vehicle ETC light on/off. I am out of town for a week in a week, so I will leave it with the dealer then and they have assured me they will get it sorted out.

The catch is in June I am moving from VT to CA for work, and I plan on fitting my new rig up as a camper for two months of exploring my way across the country. So as I am dropping 1-2k for a DIY camper conversion, it would hurt if this vehicle was a lemon.

I decided to risk it, hope that this ETC thing is buggy software or a faulty sensor, and proceed with making a big mess insulating. I started with Great Stuff and 2" panels of foam, and I will be spray foaming the ceiling as soon as it gets warm enough here in Vermont.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Those of you that had the ETC light issue, was it on solid or flashing? I just went to run a few errands and noticed the light flashing. At the first red light I shut the van down and restarted and the ETC light has yet to come back on. At that time I had no idea what the light was for. Once I got home I read the owners manual and it states if light comes on to restart the van, but if its flashing to get it serviced right away. Thing is when it was flashing the van drove just fine. I own a 2500 high top 159" diesel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to necro this thread. I manage a small fleet of vehicles with about 36 2014-15 Promasters. In the last two weeks I have had ETC issues with 4 of them. Two that required towing to the dealer. I have talked to the service manager at the dealer and in one instance, there was a build up of soot in the turbo and the other. Other times, it has been a computer issue. Has anyone found out what is causing this? None of these vehicles are over 22000 and one had an entire block replacement and we just got it back in January this year. I'm starting to lose my mind a little running into this every week with no idea how to avoid it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tried to post to this thread a couple of times but my posts don't show up. My ETC and MIL lights came on several times during a recent trip. Shifting and acceleration were very erratic. Once I stopped and sat for a while the lights went off. Chrysler dealer service department claimed it was because I had used some biodiesel blend and I had to pay $570 for a fuel system drain and flush and new fuel filter. Guess I'll see how it does on the next long trip. Even though it was the ETC and MIL light the code came back low fuel rail pressure. Don't know if they checked the actual pressure. Chrysler/Star rep put some of the fuel from my tank in a refrigerator and said it gelled up some. They said my software was up to date and would not try replacing the ETC module. Same geniuses rotated my tires and didn't adjust the pressures (15 psi difference front vs back) so when I picked it up the check tire pressure light and warning was on. Think I'll try a different dealer next time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts