Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really struggling to like the Promaster. So far, the only thing I like is the 18mpg - and I love that. It seems a teenager designed the steering wheel layout - rather dangerous for an elder. Only music and phone on steering wheel. I have to take my hand off the wheel to put on the blinker - I'm short and the telescoping wheel doesn't allow my hands on the 10 - 2 position unless I'm 1" away from the airbag -so dangerous. Then there is that ear piercing shriek when I start it up - yes, Promaster I kinda know I'm starting the vehicle, no need to shriek at me. And that weird blinking light to the right of the red caution button. The only way I can get it to go off is to exit the PM through the sliding door behind the passanger's door, lock the vehicle, go around, unlock it, go through the driver's door, then lock it from inside. My mantra continues - but I get 18 mpg. Glad to have found this forum, maybe it can help me like the Promaster.

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I’m afraid there isn’t to much we can do to make you good, however.

For example, I’m 5’7" & 75 years old and I have NO problem with the Promasters steering wheel or controls at all. It’s true I can hardly read the speedometer but,then again, I really don’t care what speed I’m going so it’s a non-issue of me.

Time heals all wounds so perhaps you will adjust ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
The tilt is the only true oddity. Most other things are fairly typical. I cant remember having a car where I didnt have to lift my hand from the wheel to use the turn signal. If im reading that right.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Odd we get very few complaints about the driver’s ergonomics, and plenty of us are older than dirt. Welcome. Fasten your seatbelts before starting and release the E brake and the sound is not there (on mine). That light goes out when I unlock the van front and back with the fob. Have you read the manual?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,980 Posts
OP, I posted the following recently on another forum. Perhaps it will encourage you to continue to fiddle with adjustments. MrNomer are both in our 70's and short.

"I got home last night from an 1,875-mile solo trip in my PM. This yearly trip is the only time I ever get to drive because MrNomer insists on driving when we are together. I can say without equivocation that this is by far the most comfortable and most fun vehicle I have ever driven, and I've been through several nice MB's and BMW's.

When we test-drove the PM, it felt like crap. I had some serious misgivings, but I bought it anyway because I liked most everything else about it. When I got it home, I got serious about adjusting the seats, which can be a bit counter-intuitive. Once I got them set, all was better than good.

In a car, the legs are stretched out in front. We had to stop often for breaks and the first few steps would be painful hobbles. With the PM, I only need to stop for pee breaks, and then I just get out of my "chair" and walk. Legs, hips, back are all happy.

MrNomer and I are both 5'7". I've seen the same report from guys over 6'. It's all in the adjustment. If this van were so uncomfortable with no easy fix, it wouldn't be the most popular (75%) camper cab in Europe."

·
Registered
127 Posts
It seems a teenager designed the steering wheel layout - rather dangerous for an elder. Only music and phone on steering wheel. I have to take my hand off the wheel to put on the blinker - I'm short and the telescoping wheel doesn't allow my hands on the 10 - 2 position unless I'm 1" away from the airbag -so dangerous.
1 - what else do you want on the steering wheel?
2 - move your hands down to 9 - 3. That's the currently recommended position (keeps your hands / arms away from airbags more (it's also generally the performance driving recommended hand position, not that it's a big concern on a van)). 8 - 4 on this big, flat bus layout wheel probably works well too.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have to take my hand off the wheel to put on the blinker. LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Odd we get very few complaints about the driver’s ergonomics, and plenty of us are older than dirt. Welcome. Fasten your seatbelts before starting and release the E brake and the sound is not there (on mine). That light goes out when I unlock the van front and back with the fob. Have you read the manual?
Yep, read the manual they gave me front to back. The less said about the writing and the information in it the better. However, you are a winner! Just started the vehicle as you said and the sound is gone! Thank you, thank you.

Yes, the light goes out if I unlock everything, but when I lock up for the night, it stays on unless I go through that rigamarole.

Lyn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - what else do you want on the steering wheel?
2 - move your hands down to 9 - 3. That's the currently recommended position (keeps your hands / arms away from airbags more (it's also generally the performance driving recommended hand position, not that it's a big concern on a van)). 8 - 4 on this big, flat bus layout wheel probably works well too.
Actually all my other vehicles had cruise ctl on the wheel. And I can't put my hands at 9 - 3 as that is where the airbag is. I'm really short, so I guess that is the problem.

Lyn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tilt is the only true oddity. Most other things are fairly typical. I cant remember having a car where I didnt have to lift my hand from the wheel to use the turn signal. If im reading that right.
Having had many, many cars and trucks and rvs, this is the first time I've had one where I had to move my hands off the wheel to get to the turn signal. Thinking about it, all that I can remember had tilting steering wheels. I'm sure I will get used to it, but it just seems dangerous to me.

Lyn

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I’m glad we could help a bit and given time you may overcome the other things. I’d say give it 4-6 months and add to this thread then to tell us what is working and what is not. We cant change some things but familiarity may overcome a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, I posted the following recently on another forum. Perhaps it will encourage you to continue to fiddle with adjustments. MrNomer are both in our 70's and short.

"I got home last night from an 1,875-mile solo trip in my PM. This yearly trip is the only time I ever get to drive because MrNomer insists on driving when we are together. I can say without equivocation that this is by far the most comfortable and most fun vehicle I have ever driven, and I've been through several nice MB's and BMW's.

When we test-drove the PM, it felt like crap. I had some serious misgivings, but I bought it anyway because I liked most everything else about it. When I got it home, I got serious about adjusting the seats, which can be a bit counter-intuitive. Once I got them set, all was better than good.

In a car, the legs are stretched out in front. We had to stop often for breaks and the first few steps would be painful hobbles. With the PM, I only need to stop for pee breaks, and then I just get out of my "chair" and walk. Legs, hips, back are all happy.

MrNomer and I are both 5'7". I've seen the same report from guys over 6'. It's all in the adjustment. If this van were so uncomfortable with no easy fix, it wouldn't be the most popular (75%) camper cab in Europe."
Thanks, I'll continue to try different seat positions - I'm 5'4". I did put a seat cushion in and it helped a little bit - perhaps I need a sr booster seat!:laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m glad we could help a bit and given time you may overcome the other things. I’d say give it 4-6 months and add to this thread then to tell us what is working and what is not. We cant change some things but familiarity may overcome a lot.
I so appreciate everyone's replies. I will keep at it and let you know how it goes. Even with all my complaints, it does drive beautifully and I'm happy with almost everything.

Lyn

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,980 Posts
Note that, for example, you don't just raise the seat height. Because front and rear of the seat cushion adjust independly, you can also adjust the angle of the seat cushion. This can make a huge difference.

Try a small piece of tape over the light if it continues to bother you. I had to contemplate for a minute what you were talking about. It's been a long time since I even noticed it's there.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Yes, the light goes out if I unlock everything, but when I lock up for the night, it stays on unless I go through that rigamarole.

Lyn
If you're talking about the "lock all doors" red light, it will come on when you exit the van and then remote control lock it. It stays on for about 10-15 minutes then goes off. I like the feature. When I go to bed at night, I remote lock the van with us inside and the red light confirms I locked it (as opposed to unlocking it)

I am very used to the steering wheel position, but if I had a choice, I would prefer the top of the wheel was closer to me (tilt the wheel a few more degrees toward vertical.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're talking about the "lock all doors" red light, it will come on when you exit the van and then remote control lock it. It stays on for about 10-15 minutes then goes off. I like the feature. When I go to bed at night, I remote lock the van with us inside and the red light confirms I locked it (as opposed to unlocking it)

I am very used to the steering wheel position, but if I had a choice, I would prefer the top of the wheel was closer to me (tilt the wheel a few more degrees toward vertical.)

Wow, I'll give that light a try tonight. It would be great if my worry is for nothing! Thanks. Yes, tilt the top of the wheel a few more degrees toward vertical would be perfect. I always wonder if they have folks that test product ideas, but I guess, since it is common in Europe, they don't worry about that anymore.

·
Registered
770 Posts
An observation: If you're contemplating swivel seats and or lowered bases to go with the swivels (or just lowered bases?) then do it NOW 'before' you get muscle & skeletal memory of a negotiated comfortable spot, it's been 20,000 miles since I installed swivels, 17,500 since new bases and I'm still seeking the familiar comfortable 'zone' of the OEM seat set-up....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts