Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member here from Hamilton, Ontario.
I just picked up my 1500 low roof 136 diesel today. Got lucky and called the dealer right as they were unloading one from the car carrier !
Went right down and bought it before someone else could.
Funny thing.. it had over 200km on it already. I wonder how many people test drove my van down in Mexico ?

So I was stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam on the highway driving it home from the dealer today :(But the automatic/manual transmission performed nice in the stop and go traffic.

I'm Pretty happy with the van so far. It's got a nice solid suspension for a 1500.

Sometimes when I'm accelerating nice and easy on flat road, the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear is a little too late. Like around 3000 rpm then it switches into 4th almost right after that. Most times it goes from 2 to 3 at around 2500 rpm.

Kind of bugs me that it's not consistent. Maybe it just needs time to break in.

·
Registered
424 Posts
... or just shift it manually. Automated-manuals seem to be designed to be manual, with the automated as a bare-minimum-functionality last-resort emergency back-up.

Congrats on the new vehicle, and welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... or just shift it manually. Automated-manuals seem to be designed to be manual, with the automated as a bare-minimum-functionality last-resort emergency back-up.

Congrats on the new vehicle, and welcome.
You are so right. Shifts much better manually and clutches much faster than I could. Automatic is still nice though for when I'm feeling lazy.

I'm liking this van so far. 1100 km so far and only used tank and a half of diesel.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I'm liking this van so far. 1100 km so far and only used tank and a half of diesel.
Congratulation and welcome. When you get a chance please let us know exactly how far you got with a tankful. Just the km driven and the liters of fuel needed to refill for that distance.
There is a lot of speculation but little data on what these diesels will get for full mileage (or is it kilometerage?) There is a Thread to report it on but it will be seen here to.
Be well and enjoy the new van.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You are so right. Shifts much better manually and clutches much faster than I could. Automatic is still nice though for when I'm feeling lazy.

So... you are saying that when doing it in "manual', you dont have to step on and push the clutch pedal?

or is that just in "auto" (no clutch pedal)

·
Registered
549 Posts
So... you are saying that when doing it in "manual', you dont have to step on and push the clutch pedal?

or is that just in "auto" (no clutch pedal)
There is no clutch pedal. I think he's saying that if there were a clutch pedal, the computer could still shift faster in either manual mode or automatic mode than he could if there was an actual clutch pedal.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So.. is it that much different than the trannies in the gasoline vans? I thought it was a stick in the diesels..with a clutch pedal.
my bad.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is a manual transmission, not an automatic transmission, so there is no torque converter. The only difference between this robotic manual transmission and a conventional manual transmission is that the computer controls the throttle and clutch when shifting. You can drive it like an automatic and put it in Drive where it will shift when it sees fit or you can put in a manual mode where you use the shifter to control the shifts, but the computer still takes care of the clutch and throttle during those shifts. Hence there is no clutch pedal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulation and welcome. When you get a chance please let us know exactly how far you got with a tankful. Just the km driven and the liters of fuel needed to refill for that distance.
There is a lot of speculation but little data on what these diesels will get for full mileage (or is it kilometerage?) There is a Thread to report it on but it will be seen here to.
Be well and enjoy the new van.
OK, so I started with a full 90 liter tank and just drove 730 km. It was 80% highway to work and back with at least 2 stops along the way every day over 5 days. The van was lightly loaded with probably 600lbs of gear and me.

Gas gauge was down to 1/4 tank.
The van took 72 liters of diesel so there was 18 liters left in tank.
730/72=10.13

My old E350 van with the 5.4 was getting around 5 km per liter !

I'm pretty happy so far. I love that I can go 300 km more per tank than my old van with a tank that's 25% smaller.:D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thats great mileage Vancrazy. If I've done my math right that works out to 9.87 litres per 100km.

I see you worked out your mileage as km per litre. Is that a new thing in Canada? When I left Canada years ago we measured in litres per 100km.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
For the south of the border crowd that 23.8+ miles/gallon. A bit less than we had hoped but it is 32 percent better than 18 mpg a common figure for the gasser to get in similar circumstances. In theory the diesel should be able to do just a bit better. As more reports come in it will be interesting to see what the hypermilers can get. Some gassers have gotten 21+mpg and 32 percent better than that would be almost 28.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats great mileage Vancrazy. If I've done my math right that works out to 9.87 litres per 100km.

I see you worked out your mileage as km per litre. Is that a new thing in Canada? When I left Canada years ago we measured in litres per 100km.

Hi GapRunr, Yes I'm really happy so far with the mileage. The van has 3/4" plywood floor, wall behind seats, and full height shelving on both sides that are packed full of tools and stock. My estimate of the weight in the van was probably low. It's carrying everything that was in my E350 and getting almost twice the mileage.

I don't really know what the standard is here. I've just always done km/L. Easier to calculate i guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts