Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I found a "used" 2016 Promaster City van. It had 460 miles on it. The color was silver-just what I wanted, it didn't have any rear seats-just what I wanted and had the nicer looking wheel covers-I'd rather have the mags but mine looks better than the basic stock wheels & covers. I bought it mainly for carrying my bicycles and camping gear and it's a great van for that. I bought a fitted floor mat with a fiber finish/top-wish I'd gone ahead and spent the extra money for the fitted rubber mat. I did find a new/used 4' x 6' gym mat for $10 on CL that I put over my new mat-it cleans up really easy and provides excellent insulation from heat & noise. I don't like the fact that there isn't a center console/storage compartment. The speedometer is too small and hidden by shadows from the dash. If you wear sunglasses it's very hard to read. I installed a vent window in the passenger side slider door which took care of the huge blind spot on my right. I had my 3 side windows tinted darker. Built a wooden tool box and bolted it to the floor rings behind the seats. Added window vent shades on the front door windows and rails on the roof. It doesn't have a spare tire so that's my next upgrade. There is a winch assembly and brackets available to buy. I can buy a scissor jack and a spare tire or buy the whole assembly for @$550. I'll piece it together myself and save money. I LOVE this van! I think it's the coolest looking vehicle on the road. In the mornings when I first start it up and put it into gear it hesitates. I think it is the ZF transmission. When it first starts out it has to get fluid moving and it takes about 50-60 feet for it to smooth out. The transmission also hesitates slightly during normal driving when you first step on the gas. It takes a little getting used to but once it gets started it can really take off quickly-very peppy! I had to learn to be easy on the gas at take off compared to my old pickup truck. I highly recommend this van!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Glad u are enjoying it....I recently bought 2015 and am using black Friday sales to fit it out for camping....inverter, 2 coleman alum tables, tarp w/accessories, and igloo dorm refrigerator garage sale. Still looking to insulate the ceiling.....see ya down the road.

·
Registered
97 Posts
"The transmission also hesitates slightly during normal driving when you first step on the gas."
That's my biggest complaint about this van. Kind of scary when you're trying to make a left turn from a stop sign and you have to cross two lanes of traffic that don't have a stop sign.
I also had a pu truck before this for 17 years (2000 Tacoma).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doug, I have found that since my first oil change I don't have as much hesitation when I step on the gas. I thought it was the transmission too but maybe it's the engine? Or it could be that everything is just beginning to get broken in and starting to run like it should. The first shift in the tranny is a little rough when I first crank it up in the morning. The colder the weather the harder it seems to shift from 1st to 2nd.Haven't seen anyone post anything about the 9 speed transmissions-they're supposed to be sealed for life. No filter or fluid changes needed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have posted the part #'s, picture and all other info on the thread about slider door windows. It has over 10,000 views. Check it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
windows on sliding door

I also installed a window where the hard panel was. Jcrowe has all the info on the other forum. It sucks getting the hard panel out but easy to install the window. So glad I did it, that was a real blind spot. Go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, I have those same transmission curiosities with mine also. I am very upset that no one has posted a video on how to find oil filter and change oil yourself. It is pretty hard finding cheap wheels for the pm too. Other than those issues, I am loving it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Advice For My New Promaster City Camper

Congratulations on your new van, and thanks for sharing your ideas.

I'm planning to get a Promaster City to use as a simple/stealth camper (I'll use my Subaru Outback for my daily driver and winter vehicle), and am considering outfitting it with a a Wayfarer conversion kit:

https://wayfarervans.com/complete-kit/

Some Promaster City questions:

- Are the SLT seats more comfortable (especially for long drives) than base model seats?
- Do rear vent windows provide much ventilation? I'll use Skeeter Beater screens for front windows.
- Are side windows worth getting for more ventilation, or is the light they let in more of a problem?
- Is the factory roof rack a good option (vs. aftermarket Thule, Yakima or other) for carrying a couple of bicycles or a ski box?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealer Fixed Hesitation Under Warranty

A local dealer (I bought my PMC used, elsewhere) addressed the hesitation under warranty this week. Still not a hot rod, but much improved! Attached are the service notes FYI.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Doug, I have found that since my first oil change I don't have as much hesitation when I step on the gas. I thought it was the transmission too but maybe it's the engine? Or it could be that everything is just beginning to get broken in and starting to run like it should. The first shift in the tranny is a little rough when I first crank it up in the morning. The colder the weather the harder it seems to shift from 1st to 2nd.Haven't seen anyone post anything about the 9 speed transmissions-they're supposed to be sealed for life. No filter or fluid changes needed.
There are some good articles and some videos to be found on the web explaining how this transmission is designed and functions. I found them to be helpful. It helps immensely if you give this vehicle a minute or two to warm up before driving off. Otherwise it's bauging out of the gate which is engine related not tranny.
in winter in Canada even more minutes. Also make sure you have the latest software updates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are some good articles and some videos to be found on the web explaining how this transmission is designed and functions. I found them to be helpful. It helps immensely if you give this vehicle a minute or two to warm up before driving off. Otherwise it's bauging out of the gate which is engine related not tranny.
in winter in Canada even more minutes. Also make sure you have the latest software updates.
I live in SC where we ran out of regular and regular plus gas due to hurricane Florence so I had to fill up my PMC with premium gas. Man this thing shifts MUCH smoother now. I guess I'll be using premium gas from now on. To me its worth the higher price. I don't understand how it can make the tranny shift smoother but I'm just glad it does-I was pretty fed up with the lousy shifting of this 9 speed automatic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
jecwow, funny that they don't review performance with different grades of gas. I noticed the power difference this summer and it sounded like it was pinging on take-off. mid-grade really wakes it up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'll have to give mid-grade a shot next fill up. I just finished a bottle of Mystery Oil (4 ounces added to gas tank at fill ups) because someone said it would improve gas consumption but I noticed no difference. I didn't have high hopes that a cheap product like this would do anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't use the mid grade, I used premium. When I start from a dead stop now it responses immediately-it used to hesitate and a rough shift between 1st and 2nd. Now it's much smoother. There is still a little hesitation when I have to slow down suddenly then speed back up but it is still much smoother. I haven't checked my gas mileage yet but it seems to be going a good bit longer between fill ups. Pretty sure I'm getting better mpg. Well worth the extra price of premium in my Promaster City.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jecwow: Why are you guessing about the mpg's? Don't you use the fuel economy thingy on the dash?

Also, I added about 1/2 a tank of hi-test gas to the regular gas that was in my tank and I think it feels peppier but it could be my imagination. The fuel economy seems about the same. Next fill up will be all hi-test and we'll see how it feels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts