Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Originally I was going to put an order for a custom configured Promaster but then I found the one below, no too far away from where I leave (NorCal Bay Area), so I saved 6+ months of waiting! Also, I got a great deal because I believe this was a custom order that fell through and the dealer stack with a custom van that most professionals do not care to pay these options for.

It is a silver 136" Low roof with 2 sliding doors with glass, rear doors with glass, 220 Amp alternator, Class IV tow group, power folding mirrors, U-Connect 5.0 with XM but no GPS, swivel seats, composite cargo floor, park assist, camera, cruise control and some other little bits an pieces.

First thing I did was removing ALL the RAM badges except the steering wheel and replace them with OEM FIAT DUCATO including the grill. Check my post for part numbers and photos.

The only few problems I had was some loose sheet screws which I took care and rarely the XM radio loosing signal for a couple of seconds even at open spaces at smooth roads.

After I completed the FCA customer survey I received emails and phone calls from FCA representative to help me fixed these issues. Impressive for a commercial vehicle. I have not received similar attention from other automobile companies I have purchased a vehicle from as Audi, Subaru nor Toyota!

Looking forward exchanging ideas and notes with the rest of the Promaster community.

Cheers!
Desmo

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am about to place a custom order, as no dealers have a silver 136" high roof with GPS. GPS cannot be added, which is very odd. So I am going to place an order soon. I am not looking forward to the long wait. I was told it is because UPS is snatching these vans up.

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the radio delete option and no GPS. The uConnect GPS is a total POS. Any cell phone GPS is 500%better than the uConnect5 GPS.

There is no shortage of double din radios with a great GPS module you can then install not to mention getting a better radio receiver and BU camera with a screen that you can actually see!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the radio delete option and no GPS. The uConnect GPS is a total POS. Any cell phone GPS is 500%better than the uConnect5 GPS.

There is no shortage of double din radios with a great GPS module you can then install not to mention getting a better radio receiver and BU camera with a screen that you can actually see!

I am doing myself a favor and getting the factory GPS, as I have been using one without problems for a year now in my Promaster City.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Hey If you like it good for you. I dislike Tom Tom, so I opted out. I am never wiling to pay the update fee either so I’m out.

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
There is always the chance the uConnect5 is different than the one in the '14 I have but I doubt it. We all have different levels of expectations. I just expect more than the uConnect5 offers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish my PM U-Connect 5.0 had the GPS option. I do like the U-connect 5.0 with the steering controls. The Bluetooth integration works great and the phone sound quality is better than my Audi's!

I thought of "pulling" out the U-Connect and install another GPS/DVD unit but everyone done this had issues with the PM instruments not functioning properly and I believe you loose also the steering functionality, the OEM camera may not work and the build in microphone cannot be used anymore.

So due to the missing built-in GPS I have setup a "stand" for my tablet (10.1 inches) and using Google maps with pre-loaded "Offline" map areas is my navigation assistant. Of course you have to prepare for this before you leave your WiFi location. I could use my cell's mobile hot-spot but when there is no service you have no maps!
Also, don't forget to power-up the tablet so does not dies in the middle of the trip!

This works great when I go for trips but I don't want to leave the tablet in the PM all the time to prevent any break-ins, so for day-in day-out I have to use my cell's Google maps or carry around my tablet.

Conclusion, if I had a choice I would have the GPS option.

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
I wish my PM U-Connect 5.0 had the GPS option. I do like the U-connect 5.0 with the steering controls. The Bluetooth integration works great and the phone sound quality is better than my Audi's!

I thought of "pulling" out the U-Connect and install another GPS/DVD unit but everyone done this had issues with the PM instruments not functioning properly and I believe you loose also the steering functionality, the OEM camera may not work and the build in microphone cannot be used anymore.

So due to the missing built-in GPS I have setup a "stand" for my tablet (10.1 inches) and using Google maps with pre-loaded "Offline" map areas is my navigation assistant. Of course you have to prepare for this before you leave your WiFi location. I could use my cell's mobile hot-spot but when there is no service you have no maps!
Also, don't forget to power-up the tablet so does not dies in the middle of the trip!

This works great when I go for trips but I don't want to leave the tablet in the PM all the time to prevent any break-ins, so for day-in day-out I have to use my cell's Google maps or carry around my tablet.

I have the uConnect GPS and I can tell you it is a real POS! Be glad you don't have it. I use my iPhone or iPad usually and only use the uConnect GPS when I'm in Canada with no data.

·
Registered
126 Posts

It is crazy GPS cannot be added. After all, the UConnect 5 says it has "GPS Antenna" in the options, what for if you cannot add GPS?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the uConnect GPS and I can tell you it is a real POS! Be glad you don't have it. I use my iPhone or iPad usually and only use the uConnect GPS when I'm in Canada with no data.

Please stop telling others about what they should be glad about or to do themselves a favor. Do us a favor and stop trying to persuade people to your land of negativity. I love the factory GPS, only 2 things I wish it had that my Garmin has. Callouts for every street name and what side of the road my destination is on, you have to look at the screen to find out.

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
Please stop telling others about what they should be glad about or to do themselves a favor. Do us a favor and stop trying to persuade people to your land of negativity. I love the factory GPS, only 2 things I wish it had that my Garmin has. Callouts for every street name and what side of the road my destination is on, you have to look at the screen to find out.
Lighten up Pete! I and everyone here has a right to express their opinions. If you don't like my opinions you have every right to express yours but never expect me or anyone else here to bow down to you and accept your opinions anymore than you accept others!

·
Registered
842 Posts
V Pete meet KOV, KOV meet V Pete. KOV might be a bit direct. And correct. And the best part , experienced . I found out he was correct about tieing into factory wiring when I asked the service manager at my selling dealer. No wiring diagrams for the public , only a tech working on the van. I thought folks on the forum were making WAGs about wiring. These vans are different animals, not my old E or even my Transit Connects.
As for my U-connect with nav and gps, I haven't had time to master the system. Take my phone, lay it on the instrument panel and let google get me there. I've got stared locations that I pick from. Easy Peasy .
This is a public forum with a broad public on it , if you only hear the tone you'll miss the message.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts