Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just joined and stoked with all the info here.

Bought a 2015 pro master HB diesel 159" for our fleet

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Welcome by another diesel owner. This van with the diesel is like having a freight engine pulling. Wahoo. What does your fleet do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Former owner of a VW Jetta TDI diesel back before the clean diesel days. It was the last year model of diesels w/o all the emission equipment.

Only here as a wannabe owner of a 3.0 4 cylinder chassis cab with one of those drop-side bodies like they have in Europe mounted on the shortest wheel base and lowest cab height. Have been reading about the amazing fuel economy of this power train in a panel van even in a high top. Imagine what that little diesel could do in a set up like I'd want it. Unfortunately, setting up a customized pickup truck, like I'd want it, would start at over $34K even before adding the customized body I'd want on it, and so, unless something happens that would give me more money than sense, I'll never have a Europe-styled pickup truck with a little 4 banger diesel like I want.

Had to have a pickup truck recently and give up the diesel car for one, as the wife and I had waited and waited on a little diesel pickup that never happened. Wanted and needed only a regular cab, which are not even available in compact trucks. Ram Ecodiesel V6 comes at a minimum of $38.5K MSRP and extra cab, compared to a Ram 1500 truck line with a base price at or about $26.5K. GM finally introduced a 2.8 Duramax 4 cylinder for the Colorado/Canyon, but then lost me when they offered it only in a crew cab and only with every towing and active safety feature available in the truck, forcing a 2.8 Duramax buyer into a $34K truck with a truck line that starts at only $21K.

So I talked myself in to the F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost with an EPA estimate at 19/26 and 22 combined and paid $27.5K before taxes, dealer fees and registration, and while I can eek out the 22 combined; the engine and truck are very smooth, refined and the Ecoboost engine cost me only $795 more; I really, really miss driving a four cylinder diesel vehicle. I hate having a choice between performance and fuel economy, because in the Ecoboost, if one just looks too hard at the accelerator, it'll start sucking down gas.

The PM with the little diesel would have been perfect, but I don't need a van, and the cab-chassis just would be too much money for what I'd get since I only want to make a pickup truck out of it. But coming on here and reading the discussion about the performance, fuel economy, and driving dynamics of the little manu-matic, makes me wish I had so much money that I didn't care about value. Great forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts