Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been torn between replacing my base model radio with a full size navigation unit, but after much research and debate, decided to go with a portable. I was pretty spoiled by the Uconnect in my Power Wagon, so I was a little worried about never being satisfied with a portable but wow was I wrong! I bought a Garmin 2798 LMT with a 7" screen and a wireless backup camera off Ebay for 260. The maps are incredibly detailed, with lifetime map updates. The turn by turn has actual Google earth images of the intersection. Built in bluetooth for your phone calls too. The more I researched the in dash units, the more I realized that you pretty much have to spend 800-1000$ to get one with a good nav system in it. I mounted the camera under my middle upper clearance light, so it covers a huge area, including the hitch for hooking up to my trailer. Overall, Im very happy with it!

·
Registered
428 Posts
It looks like your GPS would block some of the view for safe driving. I have the same size Garman and place it on the extreme left side of the dash board directly above the left side air vent. It obstructs hardly any of the view of the road and traffic.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Looks to me like you made the best decision by far and a 7" screen to boot! Great move!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought this exact system over a year ago. I was upgrading from an earlier Garmin unit, because I finally felt compelled to add a back-up camera in my van. My only concern was whether a 7" screen would be too big. After a just a few days of using it, it occurred to me that my previous navigation units were too SMALL. I loved it so much that I bought a second system for my car.

Here's a tip: spend the one-time fee ($20 IIRC) for the premium Garmin traffic service powered by an app called "Smartphone Link." The improved traffic performance is easily worth it. Be advised, it does use phone data, so depending on your data allowance, that might be a concern.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
What activates the back up camera and how well does it work? Was the camera a Garmin product or Generic? I am planning to use our iPad with cell service and some downloaded maps for when the thing can't get cell connection. I see wireless (wifi) back up cameras and bluetooth cameras but no bluetooth cameras for IOS. Like you I didn't buy the $$ radio or backup camera.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
I bought this exact system over a year ago. I was upgrading from an earlier Garmin unit, because I finally felt compelled to add a back-up camera in my van. My only concern was whether a 7" screen would be too big. After a just a few days of using it, it occurred to me that my previous navigation units were too SMALL. I loved it so much that I bought a second system for my car.

Here's a tip: spend the one-time fee ($20 IIRC) for the premium Garmin traffic service powered by an app called "Smartphone Link." The improved traffic performance is easily worth it. Be advised, it does use phone data, so depending on your data allowance, that might be a concern.
Even 7" is too small, IMHO>:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The camera is powered by the reverse light wires, and it has a transmitter that sticks with double sided tape I just stuck on the ceiling in the back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
I got a 5" Garmin when I got the van last year. The trick with Garmin is to buy last year's model, and get one with Lifetime Traffic and Maps (any model number that ends in LMT). Mine has Voice Command, and I'm impressed with how well it works!

The 8.4 screen in my Journey is fantastic (and also by Garmin) - not sure why Mopar abandoned Garmin on the PM for Tom Tom. The only issue with the built in Garmin Nav is the high cost of updates! A portable unit with LMT avoids the additional cost.

Enjoy!

Ed

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ive been torn between replacing my base model radio with a full size navigation unit, but after much research and debate, decided to go with a portable. I was pretty spoiled by the Uconnect in my Power Wagon, so I was a little worried about never being satisfied with a portable but wow was I wrong! I bought a Garmin 2798 LMT with a 7" screen and a wireless backup camera off Ebay for 260. The maps are incredibly detailed, with lifetime map updates. The turn by turn has actual Google earth images of the intersection. Built in bluetooth for your phone calls too. The more I researched the in dash units, the more I realized that you pretty much have to spend 800-1000$ to get one with a good nav system in it. I mounted the camera under my middle upper clearance light, so it covers a huge area, including the hitch for hooking up to my trailer. Overall, Im very happy with it!
Great minds think alike! >:D
Older models but same set-up and they work great.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It looks like your GPS would block some of the view for safe driving. I have the same size Garman and place it on the extreme left side of the dash board directly above the left side air vent. It obstructs hardly any of the view of the road and traffic.
I'm 6' tall. Have mine done like autogateman and it doesn't cause any problems at all. It works for my 5' 4" spouse also. One added benifit of having it in the center is that the passenger can reach it and operate it while the diver concentrates on driving.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
One added benefit of having it in the center is that the passenger can reach it and operate it while the diver concentrates on driving.
... and with a portable GPS, you can do whatever you want while under way. Factory GPS's are wired to the car and many functions are greyed out to restrict their use while in motion. I love the built-in Garmin in my Journey, but the restricted functions wile driving are a PITA !>:D

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Anyone have comparisons with an apple or android tablet? Main advantage being free software (google maps), and screen size.
I use Maps on my iPhone 6+ all the time. It finds things very fast and simple and the voice plays thru the radio via BT. It's also more accurate the the uConnect 5 even tho they both use Tom Tom (which sucks as compared to Garmin). The only problem is when traveling outside the USA in either Canada or Mexico the iPhone depends on data and unless you have international data you are SOL whereas the uConnect doesn't need data.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
An iPad with data will do everything an iPhone will do only on a larger scale. I've never used any Android device so I have no idea about them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run an apple tablet at work and an android S6 for my phone. I much rather use an android as my phone. Google maps is way better than tomtom or garmin to me with real time routing. When looking for a radio, getting a full android head unit was an obvious choice for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I run an apple tablet at work and an android S6 for my phone. I much rather use an android as my phone. Google maps is way better than tomtom or garmin to me with real time routing. When looking for a radio, getting a full android head unit was an obvious choice for me.
Whoa! Please share more about this head unit!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unit is from joying.com, get the 7" display with the universal plug. It's a direct connection to the current promaster, but you will need to come up with a trim piece. It looked small so I ended up puting it in my jeep. I like it, but opted to go with the 8" display. Its a tight fit with a gap on top. You will need to be able to take it apart to go this route and machine down the mounting plate .7" off all around with a CNC. Mill off the plastic level to the circuit board. Not somthing I recommend doing since you will be voiding the warranty on a $400 radio, and you need the right tools.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts