Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my friends, my Promaster finally came. It took 12 weeks from beginning to end...for me, it was every bit worth the wait! I took delivery on this past Thursday January 23. Granted I only have put 140 miles on the van so far, I will share my initial thought!

First, you should know that I am coming from a history of pick up trucks. This is my first work van. I'm now asking myself why did I wait so long? I also would like to add that this forum has been an excellent tool for finding and sharing information that is otherwise much harder to find on the web...so thank you to all of us for our contributions!

I ordered a low roof 136" wb PM in the dark granite (grey) color on October 18. I wasn't fully sure about which options I was interested in going into the order process because there was very limited information on some things and my dealer didn't really seem to know much about the upgrades either as this was so new.

Ultimately, I ordered my van with the following extras: Uconnect radio, back up camera, bench seat, heated seats, defrost on the side mirrors, rear glass with defrost, exterior appearance group (includes the silver grille & fog lights).

I am thrilled with this van and am excited to fit it out for my needs. I'm a carpenter/cabinet installer/cabinet maker/remodeler, so my needs are fairly general in what I carry.

Back to the van...I am very pleased with the options that I ordered. If I had a better description, I would've ordered the wood floor but that's about it for me. I purchased my partition & ladder rack separately to qualify for the up fit allowance and will be installing those this week. When I went to the dealer to pick up my van, I was able to see a PM finally up fit with the same partition I purchased except this partition had the 3" extension kit. I quickly realized that my partition was not going to be set back far enough & the door was going to be useless with the bench seat, so I contacted my supplier and am returning the door parts in trade for the 3" extension! The partition I have is the Adrian Steel perforated steel 3 piece kit.

As someone else has already mentioned here, the rear floor is EXTREMELY slippery with snow under foot. I knew going in that I was going to need/want a floor but was uncertain what was available. Right now, I have moving blankets laid out so I don't go ice skating in the cargo space.

The brakes...um who screwed up the design of these??? From the moment I drove off the lot, squeal city. They basically squeal when you're just touching the brake pedal...once you apply enough braking, it goes away but it's really obnoxious. Hopefully we will see some rectification to that issue soon, although I don't need to have downtime with this sitting in the shop. TBD

One of the oddities I found was that there is not a selection for just having your parking lights on. It's either no lights or headlights with all of the parking lights. The only workaround that I discovered is that I can separately turn on the fog lights and that will turn the parking lights on as well. Not a big deal, but just odd.

Road noise is very controlled. When you tap on the exterior of the cargo area, it doesn't sound like you're tapping on a hollow tin can. There's a muffling type material that is applied between the exterior skin and the vertical uprights. I'm sure it will improve when I have the partition installed and a floor and wall cladding.

Line of sight while driving is excellent. The front glass is nice and tall and visibility is fantastic. The mirrors are excellent as well. I don't feel like I can't see what's around me. I'm pretty sure that the mirror upgrade that I added included power mirrors. Boy am I glad I opted for that. All four mirrors are controllable from the cab. Not having to get in and out to adjust the passenger mirror is a huge benefit as I typically don't have a passenger to assist me in adjustments.

My van was shipped with the Continental Vanco4Season tires. Despite what I've read, the tires are so far so good. The road noise is very quiet and we've just had a little bit of snowfall and I took the van out to see how well it would handle. I went to a few hills that I know are steep and had no problem ascending or descending. It was only an inch of snow, so I cannot comment on performance in worse conditions.

All in all, I'm very pleased initially and will continue to provide feedback with my experiences. I'm happy to answer any questions that anybody has. I might've missed a few details as I've been distracted from writing this a few times.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at the photos that I attached, I forgot to mention that the gas cap was somehow broken before I picked up the van. They have already ordered a color matched replacement and temporarily popped a silver cover on until that arrives. At least I'm driving around with the only two toned PM in the country!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Nice Good Luck with it. I am waiting for mine to come in. Ordered Nov 11th. When did u order it and how accurate was the delivery info from Ram. Man I like that color!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd love to see a photo of the fancy grill in daylight. It looks nice in the dark. Better than the Fiat grill

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats. That's the color I'd probably chose. It goes best with the bumpers and side moldings.
A quick and dirty on the floor could be anti-skid tape on upper surface of the corrugations. The troughs would still sweep out and it will hold whatever floor you decide on better.
Since you do cabinetry, have you ever worked with King Starboard (Marine board)? It's easier to work with than wood IMO and comes 54" wide. It's solid HDPE plastic and has a very durable, anti-slip surface. Yet, you can also slide things on it easier than rubber. It would take 2 sheets (about $300/sheet for 1/2") but you'd have some left for shelves.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Very very nice! I like that color. Also the night shot! Looks mean.
Congratulations!!!!

Can I ask you to look under the hood and see where the windshield washer
fluid goes,is it that little cap off to the left side ,and do you need a funnel to
add fluid? I wonder on this and always forget to ask someone.

I order mine in the beginning of Jan.
I was thinking of 1/4 plywood (cheap) and self tapping machine screws to install
right threw the metal floor. Then seal underneath where the screws stick out with
a shot of under coat from a spray can that you can buy at an automotive supply
shop. The plywood install side ways starting from the front and cut the wheel wells
out.
Before installing the screws I would check underneath for brake lines and such.
The reason for the 1/4 plywood is it is cheap and light weight. So if it wares out
in the future,just replace it. But use the old for a template (screw holes/ wheel wells).

The more I learn about these vans the more I like them!
Way better than a pickup truck hey buiderbob!
Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very very nice! I like that color. Also the night shot! Looks mean.
Congratulations!!!!

Can I ask you to look under the hood and see where the windshield washer
fluid goes,is it that little cap off to the left side ,and do you need a funnel to
add fluid? I wonder on this and always forget to ask someone.

I order mine in the beginning of Jan.
I was thinking of 1/4 plywood (cheap) and self tapping machine screws to install
right threw the metal floor. Then seal underneath where the screws stick out with
a shot of under coat from a spray can that you can buy at an automotive supply
shop. The plywood install side ways starting from the front and cut the wheel wells
out.
Before installing the screws I would check underneath for brake lines and such.
The reason for the 1/4 plywood is it is cheap and light weight. So if it wares out
in the future,just replace it. But use the old for a template (screw holes/ wheel wells).

The more I learn about these vans the more I like them!
Way better than a pickup truck hey buiderbob!
Thanks for the pics.
I just took a better look under the hood this morning. The windshield fluid is off to the left as you're looking at the van. As far as needing a funnel or not, I'm not sure as a funnel may put you at a higher height. I'll have to investigate that better. You may be on to something with the floor. The brake lines are mounted to the frame lower...I'll have to check the idea of screwing through the floor. I was almost thinking a 1/2 ply and routing my own tongue and groove through the middle seam and using the factory tie downs to retain the edges.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Really nice looking van builderbob. Interested to hear your upcoming experiences

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats Bob

That night pic is pretty cool. Looks positively evil.

I bet if a Fiat 500 drove by, your PM would pounce on it and eat it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats Bob

That night pic is pretty cool. Looks positively evil.

I bet if a Fiat 500 drove by, your PM would pounce on it and eat it.
It's funny that you say that! My buddies said they're going get some decals to represent piranha teeth and make it look like a creature from the depths of the sea!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The granite color really looks good on your van.
Thank you! I think that alone was worth the wait! On a side note, I had to reschedule the hitch install as my appt wasn't showing up in uhauls system. I hope to get it on this week and I'll feed back on that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice ride Bob... You can try the following to get parking lights on with the key off. You just turn light switch to daylight running light position and then back to headlight position and you should get parking lights. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Uncubed, I stand corrected. You will most likely need a funnel to put the windshield fluid in the reservoir!
Thank you for looking builderbob.
Did your van come with a funnel? lol!
As for the floor I am going to go for it (1/4 plywood with self tapping
machine screws) Just thought I would share this Idea. I hope it works out.
I do not know, maybe screws 1 foot apart to stop vibration. ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to ask the dealer for my complimentary funnel!

Here's the photo of the front of the van that I promised. The reason I added the exterior upgrade of the grille/fog lights was more for the fog lights. For the price, it was worth not having to deal with the hassle of installing aftermarket parts and wiring a switch to some odd place.

The other photos that I've attached show the ladder rack that I installed. It's from Adrian Steel. It's aluminum with a black powder coat. It's also available in white. There is a roller on the rear to prevent damage to the rear doors and also to allow easier loading/unloading.

The last photo shows the security grilles I installed on the rear glass. I ordered these from americanvan.com but I see that most of the shelving companies have these available...Adrian Steel, Weather Guard, etc. There is also one available for the side sliding door if you order that in glass.

Enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts