Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from the dealer the check engine light came on. No symptoms other than the CE light. I got it checked the next day, they cleared it and made an appt to get it looked at in more detail if/when it came back. It came back of course and I finally got it in on monday, it took them until today, but they still didn't get it figure out. The code is Catalyst Efficiency Bank 1. They talked to HQ (STAR) and tried to debug it, but it sounds like they didn't get it figured out. Supposedly it isn't a sensor, maybe a code bug, or incorrect setting. They gave it back to me while they're waiting for more information, from Italy this time I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Me too

I also got a CEL right after delivery. Said it was a sensor for the egr system. Its on backorder still. Two weeks so far.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the other thread...
It happened today. On way from Denver to phx. Drove most of the way in limp mode, electronic throttle control icon flashing. Could go 65 on flats, but slow climbing. I have an obd plug, so read the code, says dpf issue. The dpf light comes on too. My check engine light came on on the way home from buying it, so had it in the shop last week, they couldn't get it sorted out, but they said it was fine, just a software issue.
They have a pressure sensor on the way. One of the error codes was dpf obstruction. Pressure sensor makes sense for this. Not sure this will fix my other code. They don't sound too confident about it either. I've been patient so far, but it's running out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pressure sensor didn't fix it. The dealer wants to replace the dpf. Chrysler wants them to do some more testing first. If the service advisor has the story straight the issue is not that the dpf appears plugged, but the pressure drop is too low, like there is a crack in it, or in the pressure tube. I'm not sure anyone is competent. Q

·
Registered
533 Posts
That really sucks it sounds like all you guys took delivery of your new vans with this condition Pre existing from manufacturing. Possibly software and hardware.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to hear of this. Not trying to start argument, but the diesels of today are complex/complicated engines. There is so much emissions systems/equipment that is required by law now, that it makes them prone to these types of problems/failures. I would not even consider buying a vehicle with a modern diesel engine. Ok, you can start screaming at me now!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry to hear of this. Not trying to start argument, but the diesels of today are complex/complicated engines. There is so much emissions systems/equipment that is required by law now, that it makes them prone to these types of problems/failures. I would not even consider buying a vehicle with a modern diesel engine. Ok, you can start screaming at me now!

I'll sort of defend you...

In the drive to increase mileage, save fuel, reduce exhaust pollution and save the world it seems everything has gotten so complicated it's difficult to keep things working.

If you look at the resources and materials used and the pollution that's a result of all that is created as a by-product of making it all, are we really improving things?? Seems like many times we're just making things worse... :(

·
Registered
533 Posts
They are complex indeed. No argument there.
There are so many diesels out there, every semi and majority of the Heavy Duty pick up trucks.

In my case the gas just didn't work. I needed the diesel. Mountains, heavy head winds and over 9,000 lbs GCW towing. Majority of diesel owners have no issues and I hope to be one of those. Last 4 diesels I've owned no issues at all.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the van back today. No warning lights in the drive back to my parents house. The bad thing is they never really figured out the problem. They replaced the dpf pressure sensor because it read 0, but the new one did too. They checked that the dpf wasn't plugged, got it to do a regen, got it out of limp mode and gave it back to me.
I'm going to stay close for a few days before I head home.
Seems like the Chrysler techs/engineers are incompetent and the local mechanics clueless. I'm not usually so harsh, but this is BS.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have my fingers crossed for you and wish you the best of luck. Hopefully for the next five or 10 years you will not have any issues and enjoy the van from here on!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Got the van back today. No warning lights in the drive back to my parents house. The bad thing is they never really figured out the problem. They replaced the dpf pressure sensor because it read 0, but the new one did too. They checked that the dpf wasn't plugged, got it to do a regen, got it out of limp mode and gave it back to me.
I'm going to stay close for a few days before I head home.
Seems like the Chrysler techs/engineers are incompetent and the local mechanics clueless. I'm not usually so harsh, but this is BS.
This is no good. There is nothing worse than purchasing a new piece of equipment and wondering if it will be problematic off/on. You would of thought FCC would have learned from the Sprinter mistakes of throwing parts at a problem hoping to fix the issue instead of finding the root cause and correcting.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove the 1000 miles from PHX to denver over the last 3 days. Check eng light came on pretty quick. DPF warning light came on about 600 miles in. Entered limp mode about 50 miles later. I found that right after I started up it doesn't go to limp mode right away, & if I kept the RPM's up over 2000 it didn't go into limp mode quite as soon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Drove the 1000 miles from PHX to denver over the last 3 days. Check eng light came on pretty quick. DPF warning light came on about 600 miles in. Entered limp mode about 50 miles later. I found that right after I started up it doesn't go to limp mode right away, & if I kept the RPM's up over 2000 it didn't go into limp mode quite as soon.
Do you want a lemon in your tea? Man papab, I hope you get this resolved I would be loosing sleep worrying about this. I can't believe this hasn't been resolved by FCC engineering.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I cant imagine having to deal with something like this. I understand an issue here and there but this affects drivability and the vam is brand new.

Can you get up to highway speed in Limp mode ? Is van at dealer now ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In limp mode, this van is better than some I've heard about. Power is reduced, and there is no power above 2000 RPM. You can go about 60+ on flat ground, I was down around 30 for some of the hills. Looking at the bright side, it was kind of a fun challenge to try to keep the speed up & time the lights going thru 45 mph towns. It appears the power to weight ratio is about the same as some of the heavy semis.

It's at the dealer now.

I seem to recall reading on the sprinter forums that folks did not get good service from the Dodge dealers. Do you suppose this is a continuation of that reputation? They don't know how to diagnose something different than the gas engine cars? I got an extremely poorly written summary from the Scottsdale dealer. I asked for a copy of what went between them & STAR, he said it was proprietary. The dealer in Golden gave it too me without asking. Even if dealership techs are inexperienced, the lead techs at Chrysler should be better.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am going to guess that your issue is a small sensor or a minor fix that the dealer has not been able to figure out.

The engine being able to rev to 2000 RPM is good to know. it sounds like the turbo does not build much if any boost in limp mode because I rarely rev over 2000 RPM towing the trailer with plenty of power. So the turbo ilikely is not building any boost in limp mode.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dealer technitians many times just connect their diagnostic electronic instrumentation and don't check if any sensor connection or mass cable are not well connected, so only while driving with vibration starts to give wrong signals to ECU.
Involved sensors are more than one an image, for example also the intake mass air flow sensor can cause DPF error codes.

There is no worst scenario that a technitian starting to change parts without understanding what he is doing.

Also don't let them make too many forced DPF cleaning procedures since, I don't know if You have seen how they do, but engine and components are heavily put under stress.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am going to guess that your issue is a small sensor or a minor fix that the dealer has not been able to figure out.

The engine being able to rev to 2000 RPM is good to know. it sounds like the turbo does not build much if any boost in limp mode because I rarely rev over 2000 RPM towing the trailer with plenty of power. So the turbo ilikely is not building any boost in limp mode.
Adrian, your last sentence there is correct. LHM basically disables the turbo. But it also cuts some of the fuel flow to the injectors, keeping the power output very low to protect everything.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for researching it, its good to know. I still have a hard time understanding why a manufacturer can not figure out and fix any issue with a brand new vehicle in a timely manner. And timely I mean less than a week!

1 - 20 of 544 Posts