Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I bought a 2017 PM several weeks ago for travel/camping conversion. I've been researching options, but in the meantime am wondering if the smell is going to off-gas enough for me to use it. I'm chemically sensitive, and can't be in it without feeling sick. I'm wondering if it is the black floor screwed down to the van, or seats/other plastics in the interior. Anyone have good information and suggestions other than trying to leave it open for months? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Welcome.

The black floor (factory) is glued down, no screws. It’s a plastic/cellulose composition, I believe.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Our 2017 smelled no different or worse than a typical new car. I've always assumed that "new car smell" is mainly off gassing vinyl (seats, dash, etc). It was wide open a lot this summer while we worked on it. The smell is way less intense now, but not totally dissipated yet either. Have you ever had this reaction to a new car before? If our members here with similar sensitivities don't respond soon, you might try starting another thread with a more odoriferous title. Also try searching "new car smell" on this forum and across the internet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Steve for the suggestion. I will keep looking for others with the same issue. Yes, All new vehicles are problematic for me. I'm hoping if I can get the flooring out to air separately that will make a difference. Been researching materials for camper build-out that I'll be able to live with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Keep on... Dealer service people say it will unscrew and come out. If I can't get it out I'll bring it to them.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Thanks, Keep on... Dealer service people say it will unscrew and come out. If I can't get it out I'll bring it to them.
I’d love to see the dealer unscrew the adhesive! ;) take photos for us please!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am chemically sensitive also and vent my van as much as possible. After working on it with the sliding door open this summer the smell is hardly noticeable at all and I pretty much just smell the new materials that I have added. Since the cold and wet is now here this winter I would advise installing a vent fan and keep it running if possible. I don't believe the Promaster is any worse than any other new cars. When I first received the van the new car smell was really bad but dissipated rapidly with constant venting.
The factory floor, on mine anyway, is many layers or laminated wood and does not seem to stink.
I feel for you brother but hang in there and it will go away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts