Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I want to have a valet key (just the key part not the chip) cut that I can hide outside incase I loose my key fob on a trip I going on. It this possible. Just to open the door manually. I will have another fob inside hidden to start the van.

How many amps can the lone cigerrete lighter plug on the dash handle? What fuse # is it? I would like to make another "hot all the time" one. Can I add like a 15aamp fuse. I guess I could come straight off the battery with a wire and fuse?The most Im looking right now at drawing is my laptop charger (4.7W 90amps).

Thanks

Billd

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Second question:
Come off the battery and fuse it. The electrical system is run off a CANBUS and will not let you make the lighter hot all the time.

·
Super Moderator
10,528 Posts
1. I want to have a valet key (just the key part not the chip) cut that I can hide outside incase I loose my key fob on a trip I going on. It this possible. Just to open the door manually. I will have another fob inside hidden to start the van.

How many amps can the lone cigerrete lighter plug on the dash handle? What fuse # is it? I would like to make another "hot all the time" one. Can I add like a 15aamp fuse. I guess I could come straight off the battery with a wire and fuse?The most Im looking right now at drawing is my laptop charger (4.7W 90amps).

Thanks

Billd
That's how I did it. Directly from the battery with a fuse in the line.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
O good info, thanks. Im gonna do that, pretty easy. My old Dodge had a hot outlet, guess there musta been a law suit of 12 for someones stupidity.... I see in my owners manual the front power outlet is F14 and is a 20amp fuse, and the rear power outlet is F09 and a 15amp fuse, which should be plenty.
Do they pre wire the rear power outlet even though I don't have one? I have the upfitter package, what ever that is, so all I gotta do is find the wire on the left side I hope?

Billd

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I’d be surprised if the outlet being off when the key is off is a legal issue. Remember this is just an option in the programming of the CANBUS. Most of my other vehicles have it off. Some people want it off, others want it on. If your van goes in for service ask if they can turn it on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1. I want to have a valet key (just the key part not the chip) cut that I can hide outside incase I loose my key fob on a trip I going on. It this possible. Just to open the door manually.

I have that same question. I asked at Ram Promaster dealer yesterday and they said no. However I don't think the guy was really sure his answer was correct! Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Your dealer should be able to order one based on the key code. Or, a locksmith that makes keys can make a blank into the double-routed key that the PM has. Only some locksmiths have the machine to do it. I think I've seen blanks on eBay.

A physically copied key will open but not start the van. If you get the key made from the dealer (they order it), they can also program it to start the van if you bring 'em all the keys to reprogram... and it will cost $$. That's what I did... took a few weeks but works great!

12v outlet? instead of modifying the factory one, I think you'd be better adding an outlet or two in some good locations. The added ones could be connected to the van battery or an aux battery if you have one (or add it later.) While you're at it, add a few double USB ports too. You can order a double USB and 12v outlet with a mounting plate on eBay for little $$$

Like this set:

link here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Ca...722411?hash=item1a09de706b:g:gKIAAOSw7FRWV~rx

At under $10 a set, I think I have about 7 sets of outlets in various locations....B pillar base, kitchen cabinet, back corner pillar, etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I only received one key when I bought because the dealer lost the other one. So, when replacing the other key, I ordered two more keys, one without the fob and told them to comp me the extra fob programing sense they had to do one for me anyway. When I picked up the keys I asked how far away the fob would have to be before the van would not start with the valet key. They didn't know so I put the three fobs next to the back door and tried to start the van with the valet key. WRONG. it took them 5 hours to be able to start my van again and then none of the new fobs would work and they did work before the van shut down with the valet key. It took three weeks for them to attempt to reprogram the new fobs because they would not do it without a replacement part for something that they thought may not work, whatever that was. I say this only to say that I will never try to start my van with the valet key again. BUT, I would still like to know how far away the fob has to be so that the van will not start with the valet key.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Valet key question. I got one made at a local locksmith. Around $20 for blank and cut.
I had purchased a blank key on ebay for $3 and he didn't want to cut it because of metal
content.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Spend the money for a blue sea 12v outlet. They have a newer one rated for higher amps for faster charging.
The one I cited is good for 20A... how much more power do you need? for what?

Key fob: The replacement key I have is a key with the grooves cut in it and chip inside. Not sure if its called a valet key, but it acts exactly the same as the one with the remote door lock buttons on it. I use that key all the time, my remote door lock fob is always at home except on trips when we take is as a backup. Is a valet key something different?

·
Registered
245 Posts

Key fob: The replacement key I have is a key with the grooves cut in it and chip inside. Not sure if its called a valet key, but it acts exactly the same as the one with the remote door lock buttons on it. I use that key all the time, my remote door lock fob is always at home except on trips when we take is as a backup. Is a valet key something different?

Good question. A valet key is usually a key that will open the drivers side door and start the vehicle but will not open the trunk or glove box. The Promaster has no trunk or locking glove box so I assumed it was a key that only opened the doors and would not start and run the van, but that would not be of use to a valet. When I called the key I have a valet key I may have been wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2014 Ram Promaster 2500 has a locking glove box. When I tried to buy a key that would only would only open door and start it they insisted they didn't sell those. And I paid fortune for second regular key with the fob that does everything. Plus a hefty fee for their programing it.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
You don’t say what a fortune is. My purchased extra key and fob made from my VIN after Ms.RD lost her purse was $115 and my dealer programed all the keys for $35. Not cheap but not a fortune either. She paid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured I can't lock my self out with out using the key or fob in my hand

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts