Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've already found the forum very useful and am excited to share my build process. Earlier this week I got a 2500 159" nonext. The first things I'm planning on doing are mounting a hitch, installing a floor, and a few windows. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Luke

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Welcome, many of us used the least expensive Curt hitch which fits well but may not be heavy duty enough for some uses. Research what is available before deciding. If you are going to camp in it I suggest some opening windows, awning type.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Planning to the same with my van if I ever manage to get one. I just retired and planning to move to the Ft. Collins/Front Range area from Milwaukee. Houses are ridiculously expensive out there. How to people manage to live there?

Looking for about an acre lot so I'll have to be on the fringes of Ft. Collins. Any neighborhoods to avoid? Or is Greeley as bad as I've heard?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Planning to the same with my van if I ever manage to get one. I just retired and planning to move to the Ft. Collins/Front Range area from Milwaukee. Houses are ridiculously expensive out there. How to people manage to live there?

Looking for about an acre lot so I'll have to be on the fringes of Ft. Collins. Any neighborhoods to avoid? Or is Greeley as bad as I've heard?
Eiko, houses are crazy expensive out here and they are also building like crazy too. I don't think the growth rate is sustainable. We are currently renting and have been looking for houses for a while, but haven't been able to find anything. Personally I wouldn't move to Greeley...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, many of us used the least expensive Curt hitch which fits well but may not be heavy duty enough for some uses. Research what is available before deciding. If you are going to camp in it I suggest some opening windows, awning type.
RDinNHandAZ thanks! I think the least expensive option should work for me since I will rarely be towing much weight at all.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think the growth rate is sustainable.

Personally I wouldn't move to Greeley...
Crap. I hate the thought I'm buying another house at the top of another bubble. OTOH, if it's the last house I ever buy, I don't need to worry about resale value.

Can you go into more detail why not Greeley on a polite forum?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crap. I hate the thought I'm buying another house at the top of another bubble. OTOH, if it's the last house I ever buy, I don't need to worry about resale value.

Can you go into more detail why not Greeley on a polite forum?
Eiko I'd say the two biggest reasons for us are the schools and location. Poudre school district seems to be consistently higher rated with less teacher turnover. Being in Fort Collins we are a lot closer to the mountains and rivers. I'm happy to try to answer any other questions as the come up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
School district doesn't matter to me-no kids. It's hard to tell real life distances from Google Maps.

If I ever manage to get a van of some sort, insulate it and put in a vent, the plan is to drive out there and look at houses. I have a friend in Boulder and one from high school in Ft. Collins. FtC guy thought Greeley was up and coming so maybe it's not bad other than the distance from the mountains. Boulder lady didn't have much opinion on Greeley. Maybe I can buy you a few beers in August and listen to your knowledge of the area.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I live just outside of Greeley. It used to be known as the smelly cow town because there is a meat processing plant on the north east corner of town and a feed lot on the south side of town. I remember when I first moved here in 1999 that when the wind would blow from the east (which is very rare) that we could smell the manure pretty bad but honestly I can't remember the last time I smelled that. I think they have done a lot to remedy the offensive oders. Frankly there are a lot of very nice places to live in and around Greeley and wouldn't cross it off your list just yet. As far as the schools go, our kids went to school in Loveland because you can send your kids to any school district here as long as they have room.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Might have a lot of beers to buy Luke Walker and a very big one for 30 ounce when I get out there to look.

People on Reddit were talking about gangs and crime in Greeley. But that could also have been 20 years ago when they were growing up there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Love to show you around, just message me when you come out. Greeley has one of the best breweries in the country....Weldwerks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Might have a lot of beers to buy Luke Walker and a very big one for 30 ounce when I get out there to look.

People on Reddit were talking about gangs and crime in Greeley. But that could also have been 20 years ago when they were growing up there.
I would be happy to show you around and discuss vans! Just let me know when you are heading this way.

Luke

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both of you, thank you very much for your kindness. I need a van first. Ford says my Transit may be shipping. If I can't confirm that today, I'll buy a PM off the lot. Then I'll do just the minimum; insulation, floors, front, rear and side cameras, maybe portapotty and then head to CO. I'll gradually finish off the rest. Probably over the next few years!

The entire Front Range population excluding Denver (and including Greeley) is less than the Milwaukee metro population I bet. But there's already two people converting campervans out there and only me in Milwaukee. At least ones bothering with forums.

Weldworks sounds great since I do beer and welding! I also help rescue Malamutes so I'm drawn to Black Husky who came down from the North Woods of Wisc with a sense of humor. Worst tour reviews: http://www.blackhuskybrewing.com/news-events

1 - 16 of 16 Posts