Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum members,
Have been following the Forum from time to time, and the information shared helped me decide on my purchase of a ProMaster - 2500, 159, high top, diesel, crystal granite. As a former Sprinter owner (2), like many others, I was looking for something more suited to my driving requirements. FWD and more spacious interior has proven to be what I was hoping for in a Northern Ontario climate. I look forward to more shared info and experiences.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome to My Diesel Brother

Compare to a Sprinter; you may put your bed across a van

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I have thought that the diesel might be questionable in a severe cold environment but my son's VW does fine on NH. Let us know how you do there. DEF freezes at something like 12 degrees (-11ºc) and both the engine and transmission need to be plugged in? It will be good to know how those heaters work and if you experience issues related to the -20º celsius or more you get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome! In answer to the questions ; I'm a little too tall for a bed across the van, but with the 159"w.b. space is not a concern; with respect to cold weather operation so far so good. I have 30600km since June and have had zero issues with the diesel ; the only light to shine was low def. . It has generally been a mild winter with only a couple -31degree C mornings so far . Starting procedure ( without the use of std. equip. block heater ) was two cycles of the glow plugs and then start, which it did! This process was to establish a point of tolerance before I must use the blk. htr. . There have been no def cold related issues. Thank you for your interest .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cold weather starting , diesel:

So far it has been a very moderate winter with only a few mornings in the low -30'sC (-24 , -26 F).Even though the manuel suggests using the block heater below - 20 F, I have intentionally used a different , simpler method. That is, just give the engine two cycles of the glow plugs before turning the key to ignition. Each time the engine started with very little cranking. The block heater is complete and standard equipment in Canada and I'm sure I will have a chance to use it yet this winter .With respect to def , there has been issues other than the light coming on to remind me of low fluid .I should note here that is the only light that has come on in 30700km (@19000m)of driving and enjoying this van !! I will keep you posted if this performance changes. Thank's RDinN &AZ for your interest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colc weather starting, diesel :

I need a better proof reader!!! Re def statement please insert the word ' no' between the words 'been' and 'issues' .Sorry for confusion.!

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Good to hear. You can go back and edit and add a note in the origional. I guess I am OK with not buying the heaters as I really don't plan to have the van in the far north or even the near north but was concerned I might get caught at below freezing a few times in the mountains. Sounds like it is not a problem! Thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Anyone remember the O-rings failing at cold temperatures that made the Space Shuttle Challenger go >BOOM<? Twisting/wracking of any of a thousand seals when the hammer pressure of cold stiffened fluids hits them could spell >DOOM<, oh yanno, a few miles out of warranty. And let us not even consider (much) the reduced lubrication etching wear tolerances to prematurely age the motor & transmission.

Now you/we know it might be possible in an emergency but continuing with coldly intentional disregard will someday earn a well deserved Darwin Award, unjustly probably for the second or third owner...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Heat, as in AZ, is ok though?
A reading from the Fiat Manual (RTFM!): NOTE: The engine is designed to work at an ambient temperature ranging from -22°F to + 122°F (-30°C to +50C°). Rubber, pipes, timing belt cover and electronic devices are not designed to work out of this range.

If* they are saying '122°F ambient' then they'd know the pavement temps would be much higher so there must be allowances built in as long as the Promaster in motion can keep shoving air through the engine compartment?

"Pavement surface temperatures of 158 to 176 °F (70 to 80 °C) have been measured on hot summer days in mid-afternoon in Phoenix, Arizona" so it might be wise avoiding idling and inching along sun baked roadways during peak solar heating of day? If the PM has been parked the ground soace it occupies has been in its own shade so there is some slack there maybe?

Death Valley’s record high of 134°F during the peak of the day would not be friendly to man nor promaster!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cold weather starting :diesel

Thanks Zoomyn, I appreciate your good points re: technology and extreme conditions. However, if that where the case over 90 % of vehicles ( gas & diesel)in our area would be susceptible to an early demise. Re: previous Sprinter experience, neither had block heaters and having driven a combined 300K,km did not add any oil between scheduled oil changes. It was the Sprinter dealer head tech. who suggested the dbl . cycle glow plug use . I hope I'm not putting too much faith the FCA 3l !!! And of course I will use the block heater. maybe even this weekend as the temp. is dropping into the minus 30's .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Or, you could just move to Florida in the Winter like all the other Canadians :)

Welcome!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts