Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a climber, backpacker seeking to build out a van to live in full time. In addition to the other option (Sprin____), I wanted to ensure I reached out to the most knowledgeable people on Promasters before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The european version of the Promaster has been around quite a long time and represents the majority of caravan conversions of this type in Europe.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Now that the promaster is in the US market, I'm still blown away by the number of people still building out sprinters. The Promaster has much more room to work with for a build, cheaper, front wheel drive, ect. You're asking on a promaster forum so you're going to get a lot of people recommending promasters. However there are a lot of members here that have had older builds with sprinters and now have promasters. They can chime in with more info.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
As a 10 year 160k mile diesel Sprinter owner before my Promaster I can unequivocal say if you even consider a Sprinter I wish you much luck because you’re gonna need it!

·
Registered
808 Posts
A bit OT, but I've wondered why Ford Transit vans aren't often considered by Sprinter hopefuls as well. They were available in the States around the same time as the Promaster, but don't seem to get as much love from the class B manufacturers or the self-build crowd.

I haven't driven one, but I liked the layout of the few Transit-based class B and C's I looked at. They also looked like a relative bargain at year-end. Is there anything wrong with them?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
A bit OT, but I've wondered why Ford Transit vans aren't often considered by Sprinter hopefuls as well. They were available in the States around the same time as the Promaster, but don't seem to get as much love from the class B manufacturers or the self-build crowd.

I haven't driven one, but I liked the layout of the few Transit-based class B and C's I looked at. They also looked like a relative bargain at year-end. Is there anything wrong with them?
From what I read, the walls are all curved and there isn't a straight line anywhere so the build is more difficult. At least that's what I heard right around the time the winnebago based on the Transit came out.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,825 Posts
From what I read, the walls are all curved and there isn't a straight line anywhere so the build is more difficult.
And where, may I ask, are the straight lines in the PM or in the Sprinter?

In spite of Ford's famous service network, it appears the Transits are having major quality issues. Plus, they don't seem to have any particular advantages over the others.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
I think the PM offers at least 3 features over the Sprin____ and the Transit.

FWD
Straight(er) walls
Wider... I'm surprised that the ability to sleep crosswise wasn't mentioned. (myself, I prefer sleeping lengthwise, but see the design advantages of crosswise sleeping if need be... I'm not a big fan of the over/under moves!)

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Bunk beds across the back solves that. I’m considering that as the 136” van would have lots of open space like mine does now with the bed collapsed as a couch. I would loose 28” of overhead storage on one side though. It’s the Ms. clothes storage. See the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided on a 159wb after hearing positive remarks first hand and on this forum. Now if only the wheel bolt pattern and offset weren't such an odd specification...Would love to get some Method wheels to change the appearance!

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Rims from an 03-06 t1n Sprinter are bolt on. You need a hub spacer because the Sprinter rims have a bit larger hole but they are cheap $15 a set of 4.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Bunk beds across the back solves that. I’m considering that as the 136” van would have lots of open space like mine does now with the bed collapsed as a couch. I would loose 28” of overhead storage on one side though. It’s the Ms. clothes storage. See the problem.
Did you end you adding the bunk beds? If so do you have a picture?

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,833 Posts
Hi All,

I'm a climber, backpacker seeking to build out a van to live in full time. In addition to the other option (Sprin____), I wanted to ensure I reached out to the most knowledgeable people on Promasters before pulling the trigger. Thanks in advance!
Last year we looked @ “All New” Ford, Mercedes, & Ram (quickly the Ford was dropped). Then just the Mercedes & Ram as we considered the need/want for 4x4 (Mercedes 4x4 was dropped as 2 times the cost & could not het one for 6 months). I actually like the outside look of the Mercedes more than the Ram, but again twice the money

There are many advantages of the Ram over the Mercedes; 4” wider, straighter walls, lower floor from outside ground (we have no step), & I agree with most of the above comments from other posters above.

The Mercedes is 1”taller inside than the Ram (for us that was insignificant as Im the tallest @ 70” & I easily feel comfortable in the built out Ram & even if you are tall it is only 1”)

The front wheel drive is another feature that after 21,000kms I really appreciate. 4x4? No we have not needed it. Caveat is we do not plan or have much experience driving the Ram in snow.

Different needs for different folks, but if you do not need 4x4 I can not see choosing Mercedes over Ram

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the response. I decided to go with the Ram Promaster about 1.5 years ago and have put more than 25,000 miles on the 2500 that I purchased. So far, I've taken it between Colorado and Squamish, BC Canada and the entire west coast in snow, rain, hail, and everything but tornados. Once winter season came into view, I had some Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 in stock fitment installed (LT225/75R16). They have been stupendous on the highway and even better on ice/snow. So far, I have not regretted the purchase at all.

Last year we looked @ “All New” Ford, Mercedes, & Ram (quickly the Ford was dropped). Then just the Mercedes & Ram as we considered the need/want for 4x4 (Mercedes 4x4 was dropped as 2 times the cost & could not het one for 6 months). I actually like the outside look of the Mercedes more than the Ram, but again twice the money

There are many advantages of the Ram over the Mercedes; 4” wider, straighter walls, lower floor from outside ground (we have no step), & I agree with most of the above comments from other posters above.

The Mercedes is 1”taller inside than the Ram (for us that was insignificant as Im the tallest @ 70” & I easily feel comfortable in the built out Ram & even if you are tall it is only 1”)

The front wheel drive is another feature that after 21,000kms I really appreciate. 4x4? No we have not needed it. Caveat is we do not plan or have much experience driving the Ram in snow.

Different needs for different folks, but if you do not need 4x4 I can not see choosing Mercedes over Ram

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
2,833 Posts
Thanks for the response. I decided to go with the Ram Promaster about 1.5 years ago and have put more than 25,000 miles on the 2500 that I purchased. So far, I've taken it between Colorado and Squamish, BC Canada and the entire west coast in snow, rain, hail, and everything but tornados. Once winter season came into view, I had some Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 in stock fitment installed (LT225/75R16). They have been stupendous on the highway and even better on ice/snow. So far, I have not regretted the purchase at all.
Thank you for the update & recommendation on the tires. I will put those on my list when the current tires are worn out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts