Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm looking to buy a PM 2500 diesel or a Ford Transit 250. We have a furniture store, so the truck will be used for hauling lots of furniture (not too heavy), but will be driven a lot from TN to Florida and back. My wife will use this truck a ton and drive a lot of highway miles. I like the PM for the diesel, FWD and turning radius (XM, USB - hard to find those on the Ford). I like the seating position of the Ford. My wife has driven both and can get used to anything. Here is what I can get:

2016 PM, 2500, Diesel - just over $31k
Ford 2016 250 - not sure on price yet, have dealers sending me info

Anyone use the PM for a lot of highway miles? Is it comfortable, reliable for long term use and not just city driving? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

shane

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a PM 2500 gasser DIY campervan which I use mostly for highway trips as I also have a Ford Escape car for my daily ride. The PM weighs 7,000 pounds and is well insulated -- the ride is excellent and quiet compared to an empty van. I especially like the high seating position. I prefer the van to the car on the highway and sometimes use it even if not camping. Yes -- MPG suffers but the highway MPG of 20 is acceptable (for a gasser) -- my Ford gets about 30 on the highway.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
We prefer the van to any highway vehicle we have ever had. Good seating with the 6 way seats, high enough to see well, steady in winds and oncoming trucks, diesel never seems to shift down for grades or headwinds, mileage in the mid to upper 20’S, fuel every 500-550 miles, and quiet once it is insulated. Mine probably weights less than 6200 lbs. with the conversion. I have the rear and right side slider windows and you can see out well. BTW I just think the automated manual transmission is a stroke of genius. BTW that diesel at $31K is a steal!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I have 28,000 in a year and a half.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi this is for keeponvaning, you stated that you would exchange it for anything else. I am getting ready to buy pretty much the set up that you have, a 2017 2500, high top with 159" wheel base to convert to a camper is there something that you don't like about it? I thought that most people on the site pretty much liked them.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Oops! Typo error ;( zwarte is correct I've corrected the op. Sorry!

·
Registered
186 Posts
50k on mine in the first year, great road trip machine and Diesel mpg is awesome and extremely happy with mine. Only complaint is from my wife, seats are to tall for her so I'm building a platform/ basement to compensate for her short legs. Agree with RD, 6 way seats are much better then the std ones I had in my first PM

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
We had the same issue with the high seat height. I put a cut section of that black horse mat you get at Tractor Supply under the carpeted mat we had added but just on her side. It’s about 3/4” thick and the complaints stopped. BTW we have friends with horses so the price was right! Someday we will put in lowered bases. $$$

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, we are buying it today ($35k out the door - seems like a pretty good deal:) What is the best way to insulate the VAN for noise reduction? Thinking I'll do that right away. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Congratulations!!! Buy a bunch of Mass loaded deadener mat and apply it to the panels about 25%. It is available on eBay, Amazon, at your Auto store. Later you may want to insulate for cold/heat. That will deaden the sound too. In fact that is all I did and the 1” polyisocyanurate foam sheets held in with Great Stuff from a ProGun works for both. Hein who posts here has Thinsulate for autos that does both as well. Finally get a heavy piece of rubber backed carpet scrap or trash piece and cut it to the floor shape, putting it over the wheel wells too. In time you can upgrade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To keeponvaning, glad it was only a typo, I've been looking at the 2500 high top, 159" wheel base for about 6 months now and really like what I have seen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts