Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In 2012, I took 2 years of sabbatical and travelled to Central America with my Toyota 4Runner. After coming back and started working again, I decided to early retire in next 3 years and travel around the world full time in a camper van. So, I have been looking at options for getting or building a camper based on ProMaster, Transit or Sprinter.

I am looking forward to get and share ideas with this community.

Thanks,
Ferit Findik

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
I'm jealous!

Perhaps (considering this is an around the world trip) you may not want to actually buy or do it in a US spec vehicle. It may be more advantageous for you to buy an older, simpler, more easily maintained vehicle in a place that doesn't have or require as high a technical level as Europe or NA. Something for you to consider.

If many US dealers can't/are unable to maintain US vehicles properly what can you expect when you leave the US with one? I must point out I'm not bad mouthing any particular marque either - it's more like the nature of the business today. Traveling in "simple" places may require a "simple" vehicle?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,556 Posts
A lot of truth in that. Another option would be to buy and sell a few times.

You wouldn't even have made it in Central America with a US diesel. Your Toyota was a good choice--Toyotas are ubiquitous around the world. Perhaps a Hiace for far-flung places.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
>:D Investigate buying a small shipping container and then you can have your stuff on each continent you visit. The vehicle would take up about half the space and you could live in the other half. Write a book about it to pay the costs, "How I Shipped Myself Around the World in 80 Months" LOL Can I go too? Remember my motto contains "will travel."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that a modern van may not be the best reliable option for overlanding. Unfortunately, there is no perfect vehicle. It all depends on what you are trying to optimize for. I am planning a very slow pace around the world trip. May take a decade to finish. I may not even use the same vehicle and do the same style of traveling. I see spending 3-4 months just in one location. Some of these places will be in South America, NA, Europe where locals use vans like ProMasters.

So, here are some of my requirements for the vehicle.

- A vehicle that blends in as much as possible and doesn't attract unnecessarily. Hence, overlanding vehicles like UniMogs, RV's, Truck Campers are not very good options.

- Cheap to operate. Fuel efficient.

- Not a modern diesel that requires ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD). ULSD is not available in most countries.

- Being able to have 2 people sleep/camp in the vehicle including in the city streets.

- Needs to be small enough to drive/park in the city.

- Having enough ground clearance for bad roads. 4WD is a plus, but not a requirement.

- Being able to carry 2 mountain bikes and kite surfing equipment inside the vehicle.

- Winterized. I imagine spending a winter in a ski town like in Colorado.

- Able to cook inside the vehicle protected from the mosquitos outside.

- Being able to ship in a container is a plus.

- Being able to stand up in the vehicle is a plus. I am 6'1".

Based on these requirements, I was thinking a van like high-roof 136" wheelbase promaster (or ford transit) converted into a camper, but doesn't look like one from outside. Post 2007 Sprinter is not an option because it requires ULSD.

Can you guys think a better vehicle ? Or should I compromise on my requirements.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds awesome! I'm jealous too!

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Older Isuzu Trouper diesel with an insulated cart top camper tent, sleeping platform or some camp-mobile roof arrangement, and camp stove/engel refrig. inside. These seem to be ubiquitous around the World in the back and beyond, they run on anything liquid except water and are really big. Start in AU, buy there and after a winter (their summer) down under you will have it shaken down. Avoid CO in the winter! I could learn to drive on the left side of the road, just say'n.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts