Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm looking at Promasters after seeing the Travato 59G. I like the idea of the permanent dinette, but I'm not a fan of the 159 extended body. I live in a condo complex with a parking lot and want a 136 inch to fit in a smaller parking space.

I'm thinking about trying to do a dinette similar to how @RDinNHandAZ did his, with a small couch in the rear, a small kitchen with sink and cooktop and basic 7 gallon fresh/grey tanks. Keep it very minimal.

I do have questions regarding diesel vs gas and 1500 vs 2500. My basic understanding is that diesel will get better mileage, but the engine can be a bit more temperamental. I also know that Espar makes a diesel heater, but upon further research I see that they also make a gas heater. Has anyone installed one? I have some experience with the espar diesel when I traveled in Iceland in a camper with an espar. It was super quiet and I don't know if the gas version is as well. And with the 1500 vs 2500, I'm not exactly sure the differences there.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The diesel will get much better fuel mileage and though the early diesels were not well sorted and some were troublesome thay have been quite trouble free since early 2015. I would not hesitate to buy a 2015 or later diesel, I have one.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gas Espar is frightfully expensive. See my gas Webasto install. Very similar to Espar.
How loud is it compared to a diesel espar?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,498 Posts
That's gonna be hard because no one except a professional is going to have significant experience with both, and there are going to be sound differences because of installation instead of the unit itself. I have heard RD's diesel Espar, but only with the doors open and the unit running full bore, IIRC. His unit is more exposed than mine, also. I can say that his fuel pump was clearly audible under those conditions while we cannot hear ours under any conditions, but I don't know how he installed his. I think I can say with reasonable confidence that our unit is no louder than his. I certainly wouldn't advise choosing a van based on this criterion. Either is wonderful.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Someday we will have a side by side heater sound test, it won’t be perfect but should give an idea. I cannot think of a reason why they shouldn’t be similar. Both are sure to be much quieter than a traditional RV propane furnace!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts