Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been researching these promaster's and was surprised to find there is already this forum.

I am an electrical contractor who has been in business for less than one year and I am thinking of buying a promaster for a few reasons.
Basically I'm just saying hi while I continue to read about peoples real world experience with these until I can get a chance to drive one. I currently have not even seen one in real life yet.

Thanks, Brent

·
Registered
363 Posts
welcome to the forum brent.
tons of information here, there's a wealth of it.
how soon would you get a promaster if it seems to be the right fit for you and the work you do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be likely looking in approx a year from now. I would love to sooner but realistically I should get my current truck paid for first.
Just to the point where I need to get my stock in order, van would hold a lot more than the truck, and alleviate some room in the shed for the rest of my stock.

It's sad when I know it's a disaster, I know what I should do fix it, but I'm reluctant to go into more debt for "unbillables"
If it picks up much more I will have to bite the bullet and pull the trigger sooner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, I love it.
Have only owned it for 2 months though, and the wife drives it most of the time.

fuel mileage was averaging 11L/100km last time I looked mixed driving which is just over 21mpg US. It fluctuates more in city driving than my hemi does, but it pretty much averages 2.5-3L/100km better than my hemi truck, both with my driving habits. Both crew cab, 4x4s, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'm a electrical contractor also and this would be a nice work can. I currently have a sprinter and love that too. The mpg and room is awesome. I test drove a pm and it feels way better than my sprinter but I and many others are wondering about the mpgs in this thing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup, mpg is the big ? right now. I've looked high and low all over the web and have not seen any verifiable hard data so far.

The numbers on the minivans and 1500 PU's look promising. I hope it translates over to the PM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The magic IMO for the trucks is the 8 speed
Fuel economy is really subjective, that's why I like to just compare it to my hemi. Same truck config, same driver, same area

Really for me the fuel economy is not a total deal breaker for the van anyway. I drive a hemi truck dragging a trailer right now after all :) so either way will be a huge improvement in that department.

I'll likely get the pentastar as the 6k hit for the diesel is not worth it to me. The v6 will be no worse on fuel than any other gasser van, probably better than most. The diesel will only start to pay for itself off warranty, and modern diesels off warranty scare me.
For me it's an efficiency issue. I like to keep a good amount of stock, and keep it organized, and not have to drag a trailer everywhere. That is what saves you money IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and welcome. I'm a electrical contractor also and this would be a nice work can. I currently have a sprinter and love that too. The mpg and room is awesome. I test drove a pm and it feels way better than my sprinter but I and many others are wondering about the mpgs in this thing
I've never worked out of a sprinter either, only e series and gm vans, old ones, savana's, and sadly a couple safari's. (none were owned by me)
Then the trend started to move to trucks with service bodies or slide ins.

I can't wait to try a PM out, being able to walk in an stand up in them to stock or pull parts will be a huge improvement from the vans of yesteryear

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've worked in regular cargo vans and hated crawling around in my knees in them. After owning my sprinter I told myself I'll never go back to a regular van.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm also new to this forum, heard about it from a PM from a good person on RV.net.

I'm in the market for a campervan, mainly for long trips, boondocking, getting the heck out of town, and well, travel. Sprinters are good vehicles, but for a fully outfitted one, it will be over the six digit mark in price, and for what I'm doing, I rather have a gasser anyway, since the onboard generator can run off the gas tank, rather than use a propane generator (those suckers guzzle LP gas like no tomorrow, and in the Texas heat, a generator and overhead A/C is a must.) Diesels are very good, but I like the simplicity of a gasser.

So, I'm waiting to see what companies are going to use the PM for their chassis. Winnebago is one, and there is another called Eko, but I wonder what other ones will be entering the fray. In Europe, 2/3 of the motorhomes there are Ducatos, so there is a lot of expertise in upfitting these types of vehicles. The nice thing, due to the width of the PM, RV makers can make a cross-wise bed, saving room, especially if it just one person under 6 feet tall.

So far, from what I've read, Ducatos are decent vehicles. I've not seen any major show-stopping complaints about them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Ewcelectric
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing