Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, New to the forum. Been thinking about a ProMaster for some time now. Been test driving some. My usage is for work. Most of which is in/near a busy city. Love the idea size of the 118" 1500 low roof, but I'm 6'2" and am thinking I would like the 136" 1500 High Roof much more. Trying to decide is it stealthy enough. I know clearance becomes and issue. I did test drive the 159" 2500 and found parking in a standard spot not to be that great. Hoping the 136" improves upon this. Not an experienced van driver, but my daily driver is a FJ Cruiser and I tow often.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
A high roof van is a common cargo van. As stealthy as they come if you're worried about that. Unless you've got mountain bikes hanging off the back and surfboards on the roof, that is.

Not sure what work you do, but if you spend significant time INSIDE the van, go with the high roof. If you're just carrying long cargo (e.g. pipes, lumber) and would be loading and unloading it from outside like a good old-fashioned station wagon (or a pickup truck for that matter), you could get away with a low roof.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Ya real stealth, nobody will even see that 9’ high and 7’ wide white perv van. No prob.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Ya real stealth, nobody will even see that 9’ high and 7’ wide white perv van. No prob.
Yep. It's called hiding in plain sight.

My PM resembles a contractor van. No one gives me a 2nd look.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
I’ve never seen a so called "stealth" van that I wanted to spend more than a few minutes in let alone live in. Stealth is a joke. Does anyone really think they are fooling those in control? I can pick out a stealth van from a mile away. Do yourself a favor and build a real, livable van not dictated or constrained by what "stealth" means to you because it doesn’t mean the same thing to others. I’ve never found a place I couldn’t camp overnight in any city all it takes is a little imagination.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I’ve never seen a so called "stealth" van that I wanted to spend more than a few minutes in let alone live in. Stealth is a joke. Does anyone really think they are fooling those in control? I can pick out a stealth van from a mile away. Do yourself a favor and build a real, livable van not dictated or constrained by what "stealth" means to you because it doesn’t mean the same thing to others. I’ve never found a place I couldn’t camp overnight in any city all it takes is a little imagination.
That's the thing about "different strokes for different folks". No one van or philosophy meets everyone's needs.

My handle here is "Travelvanvan" and it belies the purpose of my PM. It's for TRAVEL, not for boondocking or camping per se. It gets me from place to place in comfort and without drawing attention when I need to overnight or if I need to leave it unattended.

Some places (Southern California) are now forbidding sleeping in or overnighting in a van. If my van looks like an RV, I could get kicked out of wherever I happened to be. There are other concerns that I have (that others might not care about). Such as security.

I might write up a build thread (though my build is very crude and I'm reluctant). At least people might get a sense of why I do things the way I do.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
...cut...
I might write up a build thread (though my build is very crude and I'm reluctant). At least people might get a sense of why I do things the way I do.
IMO, I think the vast majority (WAG) of people who build it out themselves have a "rough build".

I'm in the same boat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Stealth Van Photo

Hello PMF

Here is a photo of my stealth van white 3500 EXT

Many of you will not be able to locate it in the photo, but I can assure you it is there;)

Okanagan Lake BC (currently in it)

For our needs this size is the only consideration. I park it pretty easily in the city. I agree with many here, “Stealth” is in the eye of the beholder. Good luck if Gladys Kravitz is looking our her window when you park on her street

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Please Share

That's the thing about "different strokes for different folks". No one van or philosophy meets everyone's needs.

Thanks TVV:)

I believe what you wrote to be true “No one van or philosophy meets everyone’s needs. Thank you for that

Further, I believe this forum is for all us DIYers to share ideas, successes, failures, & opinions. Posh or crude builds; I & many here are interested. I am personally more interested in simpler economic builds that fit people’s needs more than fancy with all the bells & whistles

If you have time, please share. You will be helping out many on here

Thanks for considering posting your build:D

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement to post my build. I'll work towards that. And I'll now bow out and return this thread to the OP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts