Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the Pro master community, and hoping to get some help as to what I should do. I have a 2017 PM Cargo Van 1500. Only about 8k miles on it. Aside from issues like a cracked radiator, faulty slider door, broken dash display etc., I've had the van back at the dealer 4 times now for lurching problems while it downshifts when approaching a stop, shifting very hard in between gears, and an insulting 4.8 mpg in the city while EMPTY. I just received a phone call from the dealer that all of this is normal, even though the dealer told me there are fluid pump recalls etc. I am literally being told to there is nothing wrong with the van, even though upon switching from R to N or N to D it clunks into gear hard enough to rattle the whole van. One time they said it was because the transmission was really low on fluid, straight from factory. The time after that they said it was Computer update needed. Now, Chrsyler said it's normal. Please advise?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It's not normal, have an independent mechanic look at it and drive it, as a reference my guy cost $35 to evaluate vehicles and so far he's be correct both times.

It should shift like any automatic.

MPG should be around 17-23 highway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not normal, have an independent mechanic look at it and drive it, as a reference my guy cost $35 to evaluate vehicles and so far he's be correct both times.

It should shift like any automatic.

MPG should be around 17-23 highway.
the dealers technician drove it, informed the service manager that it is indeed excessive. The service manager then informed me that Chrysler told him to compare it to the other van on the lot, and since they both did the same thing, it's "normal". If the dealer themselves acknowledged and abnormality, and the manufacturer side stepped it, what power will another service station have over said manufacturer? Just want to get my ducks in a row as I've been shot down by them four times now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Escelate to chrysler......let **** roll downhill...try another dealer.....you dont drive another vehicle to compare.....do your job as a tech.......give em ahard time

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
It would help if you told us what engine/transmission you have before we give you any advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
By the sound of it it sound exactly likenthe problem my dsl has.......but you are right....auto or amt???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would help if you told us what engine/transmission you have before we give you any advice.
By the sound of it it sound exactly likenthe problem my dsl has.......but you are right....auto or amt???

Sent from my SM-T810 using
Tapatalk
I apologize for the lack of information, I'm completely new to forums and having to bring things to the internet. It is the Pro Master 1500, 118" , 6 cylinder FWD gas engine. Fully loaded. Used for my painting business. It all started at around 1k miles with a weird resonating sound coming off the transmission pan that works come and go intermittently. Fast forward to almost 8k miles and now it lurches, kicks into gear while stationary, upon switching from different gears, to the point of it reminding me when my old Ford pickup had a broken motor mount. Did I miss any info? Thank you for the responses

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not normal......in my group of freinds we thress brand new gassers and my dsl.....the tranny should not shift like that...is it throwing any codes??......

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
PromasterProblems,
It sounds like you have the 3.6L V6 gas engine and 6 speed automatic. It should shift silently and except for a tug when you go from P into D or N into D it should shift smoothly like a minivan which is where it came from with a bit of beefing up for the van.
You can contact Ram customer. assist 866-726-4636 and get help. It doesn’t look like you will from your dealer unless you do. BTW the code should have been stored so it should still be available.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look for plp in your city that have promasters.....they will tell you actually who knows how to work on them....reachout ....i remember when i first got mine...they were not as popular as they are now...talk about struggling...but in the end i found the dealer that works for me......and i an no slouch on the mechanical side......should i list the service that i have done???... look out the the guys that have had them the longest...you will be surprised....and if you guys need tech info...(2014 dsl only) i have the technical cd that explains ALOT

·
Registered
253 Posts
Chrysler installed a new trans for me at about 50K on my 2014.

I had a problem a few years ago on a Dodge truck that the paint started peeling off the front within a few thousand miles. Chrysler initially denied the warranty claim. I immediately drove it up front and showed the peeling paint on my nearly new truck to a salesman. He got the sales manager to look at it. The sales manager contacted the Chrysler rep for the area. Got a call back that it was going to be handled by either the dealer ship personally or the rep had some ability to get it covered, can't remember.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Chrysler, let's face it, is not known for their stellar dealer service.

That transmission has been in production unchanged since 2003. It's in every mini-van, journey, 200, avenger, routan, and some others. It's a totally known quantity, with nothing special or oddball about it. It's as if your dealer is saying "we've never seen such a device. What is this transmission object you speak of?"

Why? Believe it or not, dealers don't make much money selling new cars. They make money from the repair department, and on used cars. But they LOSE money on warranty repair, as they get paid a low flat rate on each job from Chrysler, far less than non-warranty work.

If it were me, I'd go to another dealer till I found one that wasn't giving me the run-around. If that fails, get an estimate from an independant tranny shop. Take that to the dealer, and if it fails, ask to contact the dealerships "zone manager". That will help get the ball rolling. It couldn't hurt to open a case with chrysler, and opening a case is just a phone call. With a case number and an indie estimate in hand, start throwing around the word "buyback" and "lemon law" and they will replace the trans.

Reactions: Santiago
1 - 20 of 39 Posts