Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have my new PM2500 wb159 window van delivered this coming Tuesday-
feel i scored a pretty good deal at 26k$ and give alot of thanks to the forum for info- being that I haven't found much info for flooring installers I plan to take pics and review my thoughts.
Right now we run a '94 Ram 3500 extended van and a '98 short Ram 2500-
All my life I have worked with my dad and we have been a Dodge van family-
We live in MN and have seriously considered going to an 8ft box 4x4 truck and traier- BUT.....my dad has installed over 40yrs and swears by a van and our 3500 has just startedto have some tranny slips-
Like I said, we got a nice deal and may look at adding quick seating for additional camping options.
But being we can get 14ft carpet goods into this with doors closed I really want to be a flooring question option- we don't need crazy shelving- just crazy space for pad and carpet-
Low floor will be nice BUT my real kicker is SNOW-
Lets see what this winter brings-

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm a carpet installer too! I do vinyl, lino, hardwood, ceramic tile, VCT, moisture barriers, etc. So setting my PM up for only carpet would not work. I use a couple of those large Stanley boxes to keep my small power tools in and put sundries like seam tape and staples above the cab. The boxes let me rearrange things for different installations. I siliconed 7/8" thick high density fiberboard on the floor so I have a flat surface which makes it a lot easier to walk in. I made a pattern and cut 4 sheets for a perfect fit.

One of my first jobs was 275 yards of carpet and it wasn't even half full!! And I could CLOSE THE DOORS! I've been driving in the snow for the last 3 days and it is heads and shoulders better than my old Savana. Traction control comes on occasionally but it tracks straight and true. My Savana would walk the back sideways and traction was very load dependent. Even with most of the weight over the rear tires it was never very good. Even snow tires only helped a little bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that new? That's the best price I have seen for a 2500/159. I know that my local dealer has 3K back in rebates/incentives.
Yes it is brand new right off the lot- and they are delivering for free on top of it, being that I didn't want to drive to Aberdeen-

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a carpet installer too! I do vinyl, lino, hardwood, ceramic tile, VCT, moisture barriers, etc. So setting my PM up for only carpet would not work. I use a couple of those large Stanley boxes to keep my small power tools in and put sundries like seam tape and staples above the cab. The boxes let me rearrange things for different installations. I siliconed 7/8" thick high density fiberboard on the floor so I have a flat surface which makes it a lot easier to walk in. I made a pattern and cut 4 sheets for a perfect fit.

One of my first jobs was 275 yards of carpet and it wasn't even half full!! And I could CLOSE THE DOORS! I've been driving in the snow for the last 3 days and it is heads and shoulders better than my old Savana. Traction control comes on occasionally but it tracks straight and true. My Savana would walk the back sideways and traction was very load dependent. Even with most of the weight over the rear tires it was never very good. Even snow tires only helped a little bit.
Good to hear positive things when dealing with snow- it has been a question in the back of mind but the FWD just makes sense to me when added with such a low vehicle-

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I have noticed the window 159's going for cheap (there is a new red one listed for $26,999 right now). I believe it is because people don't buy work vans with windows. They are for passenger van builds, which is a very small segment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have noticed the window 159's going for cheap (there is a new red one listed for $26,999 right now). I believe it is because people don't buy work vans with windows. They are for passenger van builds, which is a very small segment.
Maybe the window ones are harder to sell? On my end being that we do strictly carpet install we've never needed a ton of bins/shelving- just alot of space and doors that shut-
I'm a bit more used to window vans being that my Ram 3500 is one too- probably alone in that category for a work van. I will also be looking to install quick release passenger seats at some point so we can use it to haul the family around on long trips- another selling point on my end for the windows.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You didn't get the extended version?
I think the Promaster is the perfect floor covering installation van. Even the regular 159" will fit a 12' roll of carpet behind the seats and still close the doors. I got the extended version just to be safe plus I got a great deal on it.

I couldn't do windows. Too many opportunities for the less honest to steal my tools...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Great deal and free delivery! While the are bending over backwards for you ask them to cut your grass/paint your house etc.. The only time I got a vehicle delivered to my driveway was when it was towed from the other side of town!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You didn't get the extended version?
I think the Promaster is the perfect floor covering installation van. Even the regular 159" will fit a 12' roll of carpet behind the seats and still close the doors. I got the extended version just to be safe plus I got a great deal on it.

I couldn't do windows. Too many opportunities for the less honest to steal my tools...
No I didn't get the extended being that I got a sweet deal from one on the lot-since it is already 12ft with the doors closed makes me super happy, not to mention almost 14ft between both seats....we rearely get any 13'6'' or 15' goods anymore- if I would have ordered mine special I would easily have gone with an extended- in all honesty I wasn't fully on board till I had seen the price- we were really thinking of doing a new 4x4 truck with a 12ft Vnose trailer but after crunching the numbers the Promaster was the better deal. Can't wait to get it tomorrow!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts