Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, names Dean. I own a 2014 promaster diesel since brand new and it currently has about 268,000 on it. Other than the 6th gear snycro failing and allowing it to fall out of gear on Sevel, it’s been a great van. I use it for expediting. Came here to ask about the timing chain change interval since the owners manual says 249k miles and I haven’t found anything online from anyone actually replacing it

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
212 Posts
Hi Dean, welcome to the forum. So nice to hear that your diesel has been good to you(ok, transmission issue not pretty). Just curious, did you get transmission rebuilt or did you have to order a new one. How many miles on it when the synchro went south?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
No one has commented on the timing chain replacement here and no one has done one. How valuable is the van to you and since you are about halfway through the typical life of the diesel engine is it worth chancing that it would go further? Timing chains’ life is very dependent on oil cleanliness so regular oil changes since new might give you a bunch more service life.
I have a Suzuki 2.5 V6 with 180K and a single chain, notorious for grenading the front of the engine if maintenance was not perfect. It’s $750 in parts to replace and KBB lists the car at $1300 value. I change the oil, cross my fingers and will drive it to it’s demise. You may want to do the same. Typically timing chains give some warning noise as they reach the end.
If you decide to change it post here please. You may want to do the clutch too, if it didn’t get done with the snycro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dean, welcome to the forum. So nice to hear that your diesel has been good to you(ok, transmission issue not pretty). Just curious, did you get transmission rebuilt or did you have to order a new one. How many miles on it when the synchro went south?
The snycro issue has been present since it had 500 miles on it. Chrysler dealers gave me the run around replacing sensors and parts and never realizing it was the snycro failed. Anytime I decel in 6th gear it falls out of gear and the dash goes haywire saying shift to neutral. My son who’s a mechanic figured out what the issue was at 115k miles (owned it for 8 months at that point) and when I took it back to Chrysler they wanted nothing to do with it since it was out of warranty, even though the issue had been present since new. Now I just manually shift it and avoid 6th gear, normally cruising in 5th and still averaging mid 20s with a 3500 longest wheelbase highest roof

·
Registered
65 Posts
The snycro issue has been present since it had 500 miles on it. Chrysler dealers gave me the run around replacing sensors and parts and never realizing it was the snycro failed. Anytime I decel in 6th gear it falls out of gear and the dash goes haywire saying shift to neutral. My son who’s a mechanic figured out what the issue was at 115k miles (owned it for 8 months at that point) and when I took it back to Chrysler they wanted nothing to do with it since it was out of warranty, even though the issue had been present since new. Now I just manually shift it and avoid 6th gear, normally cruising in 5th and still averaging mid 20s with a 3500 longest wheelbase highest roof
Hahaha....replaced tranny...now at dealer replacing selector gate valves and tcm....270000 miles...no other issues

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Those posts give me a warm feeling as mine with nearly 50,000 miles shifts fine. I’d be happy to get another 200,000 trouble free miles. Wahoo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts