Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the Forum and the ProMaster.

My employer bought one a couple of months ago and had it modified for our needs. I've become the custodian of it, going forward. It's a "new" 2014 159" High Roof. We've only put about 5K miles on it so far and all of them have been while towing a REALLY heavy single axle trailer.

I have a lot to learn about the vehicle and am looking forward to picking up from the knowledge base here.

Allan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A clarification to my first post title.

I live in Pennsylvania and have the awesome privilege of working from home, when I am not criss-crossing the country on business travel.

My employer has an office outside of Atlanta Georgia.

The ProMaster is currently sitting at a storage facility in Las Vegas...

The van is used to house a number of pieces of electronics that our company manufactures and pull an antenna mounted on a trail that we manufacture. The van and trail are our rolling demonstration system.

Allan

·
Registered
120 Posts
That look very very cool. I would love to see more pics please. Especially how you have the generator installed and the roof ac on the inside. Also do get fox news with that? I was thinking of an antennae for my van too but not so big.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome Allan,
Diesel or gas engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Allan,
Diesel or gas engine?
It has the 3.6L gas engine. It struggles to pull the trailer, but we get to our destination eventually. So far, we've only been averaging right around 10-11mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to see more pics please. Especially how you have the generator installed and the roof ac on the inside. Also do get fox news with that?
I will try to get some pictures next week, when I am with the van again. The setup inside is not elegant, by any means. It was done quickly and to serve a purpose. Aesthetics was not one of the criteria.

As for the antenna and the equipment inside the van, it's purpose is to track airborne vehicles, during flight testing.

Allan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little more detail about the ProMaster and ourselves.

It was bought as a leftover in Louisiana and immediately sent to a fab shop in San Antonio, TX.
It was quickly (er, hastily) modified to suite our needs at the same time the trailer/antenna were being assembled at the same shop.
After a couple of false starts, we finally got it on the road.

So far, it's gone from TX to GA (corporate offices) to FL (first demo for a customer) and then Las Vegas (trade show).

I live in PA and work from my home office, when I am not on travel.
The corporate office is located just north of Atlanta, GA.
Our parent company is in France.

Allan

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The diesel is a fantastic option and hauls like a freight train. Most find the gasser powerful enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A few more pictures of our setup.
These were taken during the assembly phase, so everything looks untidy.
It's marginally better, now.

Our Generator is sitting in what we have dubbed, "the doghouse".
Basically, a big plywood box with aluminum framework.
It has an intake (via louvers) on one side and an exhaust on the other.
There are 8" intake and exhaust fans used to keep the air flowing across/through the generator.
We typically run it for 4-6 hours at a time, while doing demonstrations and it doesn't get too hot.
It works well, with the exception that a trap door had to be installed on top of the doghouse, in order to refill the gas tank on the generator.
I am now looking into the concept of feeding fuel to the generator via the extra outlet on the van's fuel tank.

We have a number of outlets on the side of the Van, which are used to provide power to the Antenna on the trailer.

The inside of the cargo area is filled with a few racks full of equipment.
There is a custom bench seat available for our customers to sit, while we demonstrate the systems capabilities.
The bench top comes off and houses the most critical part of the antenna, during transit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A few more pictures of our setup.
These were taken during the assembly phase, so everything looks untidy.
It's marginally better, now.

Our Generator is sitting in what we have dubbed, "the doghouse".
Basically, a big plywood box with aluminum framework.
It has an intake (via louvers) on one side and an exhaust on the other.
There are 8" intake and exhaust fans used to keep the air flowing across/through the generator.
We typically run it for 4-6 hours at a time, while doing demonstrations and it doesn't get too hot.
It works well, with the exception that a trap door had to be installed on top of the doghouse, in order to refill the gas tank on the generator.
I am now looking into the concept of feeding fuel to the generator via the extra outlet on the van's fuel tank.

We have a number of outlets on the side of the Van, which are used to provide power to the Antenna on the trailer.

The inside of the cargo area is filled with a few racks full of equipment.
There is a custom bench seat available for our customers to sit, while we demonstrate the systems capabilities.
The bench top comes off and houses the most critical part of the antenna, during transit.

Thanks for the pics! . I bought the Honda eu2000i today and I also just installed that same hitch. The Curtis one? Now I'm looking to run the gas line too. I guess you just clamp a hose on the nipple and find a way to route it to the back. What ac unit is on the roof? Do you run the ac with the engine or generator?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pics! . I bought the Honda eu2000i today and I also just installed that same hitch. The Curtis one? Now I'm looking to run the gas line too. I guess you just clamp a hose on the nipple and find a way to route it to the back. What ac unit is on the roof? Do you run the ac with the engine or generator?
Yes, the hitch we have is the Curt, as it seems to be the only available for the 159" wheelbase. We bent the first two that we installed, due to excessive tongue weight on it. We had a shop in Las Vegas help us out when installing the third one. See pictures below. We just completed a 900 mile trip with it and didn't have any problems. We've solved our tongue weight issue.

I haven't figured out how to run fuel from the Van tank into the EU7000IS yet. There is only one company that makes a kit for this and they recommend against using a pressurized source. They want to use an aux tank with no pressure in it. Wil wait a while to see if anyone else comes up with a variation for the EU7000IS that I can use.

The A/C on the roof is a Dometic Commercial version, that includes a heater. I don't know the specific model number. It's power source is the generator.

All of "our" equipment connections and modifications were made without any tie-in to the van's existing systems. We are completely isolated from the van, so as not to cause any problems. Some of our remote work locations could be 50-75 miles from civilization. We didn't want to take any chances with getting ourselves stranded due to a dead battery.

Shameless plug for All Metal Maintenance Stands in Las Vegas - Although not even remotely in the vehicle modification business, these guys went out of their way to help us with our hitch problem. They understood what we needed and provided us with a solution that met our needs. And to top it off, they did it at a very reasonable price.

The first mod was to the new (3rd) Curt Hitch. We bent the first two hitches, so All Metal MS boxed in what had been an angled bracket. This prevents any ability to twist the 1/4" angled ends of the hitch.

The second mod was to add bracing from low on the hitch to another attachment point on the unibody frame. This further prevents any ability to bend. We now have four attachment points, instead of two.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Curt used to make another hitch which did much of what you had added it was beefier than the 13170 model from
Amazon and others but I cannot see a listing for it anymore. Anyone?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,442 Posts
Their are other trailer Hitches

It's to late for you, but their are other hitches with better capacity. You need to know your tongue weight and trailer weight. The hitch you used I'll call the garden variety good for only 500 lb tongue weight 5000 lb trailer weight no more. I believe the draw-tite 75882 has the max tongue weight, 750 lb tongue weight, with-out a Weight Distribution hitch witch I think you should be using.
http://www.draw-tite.com/fit-guides/all-in-one-selector
e-trailer list 4-5 hitches for the Promaster

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
e-trailer list 4-5 hitches for the Promaster
Yes, but there is only one listed for the extended wheelbase Promaster. The Curt 13170.

Almost all of the other brands out there (Drawtite, Hidden Hitch, Reese, etc.) are made by Cequent. None of them offer a hitch for the 159" wheelbase.

Ultimately, we solved our problem, so I'm happy. It probably cost around $1K to get a working hitch, though.

Allan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts