Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone -

We are a family of 4, looking at a PM to convert and also use as our sole vehicle. We have been in touch with Sportsmobile and also Colorado Campers regarding pop top options. CC says they will, and have, put a pop top in a 159 high roof. SM says no, citing 'maybe it's a safety issue regarding too much weight up high', but used the word 'maybe' when asked why they don't do it. Anyone have thoughts on this? We could do a 136 of course, but will need seating for 4 and also sleeping for 4....

Thank you for any and all advice!

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
CC posts here from time to time and they seem very knowledgable. I think I would trust them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only high-top I've ever seen them add a pop-top to is a Nissan. And, the only PM I've seen them do is a 136" low roof. Not saying the others don't exist, just that I haven't seen them after a rather exhaustive internet search.

I'll be dropping my 136" low roof off with them mid-August and can inquire further, if you would like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They must have just started doing them. They sent us photos of one that was completed. I'm just wanting to hear opinions before we buy the van. I'm just feeling cautious because we're parents :) The 159 high roof is minimally taller than the sprinter low roof though, so....

We definitely want the pop top. At this point it's just a matter of the 136 or 159. Extra space would be nice :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already been all over your page :) Keep posting! btw, we're in PDX :) We spend a lot of time visiting Bend. Our next visit will be late December up to Tumulo Lake. Any thoughts/concerns re: snow? This is why we're zoning in on the Promaster. Sprinter 4x4 isn't in the budget. Promaster is the only FWD option.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've already been all over your page :) Keep posting! btw, we're in PDX :) We spend a lot of time visiting Bend. Our next visit will be late December up to Tumulo Lake. Any thoughts/concerns re: snow? This is why we're zoning in on the Promaster. Sprinter 4x4 isn't in the budget. Promaster is the only FWD option.
Exactly. I'm on the Mt. Bachelor National Ski Patrol, so my PM will be up in the hill almost every weekend this winter. A Sprinter 4x4 would be nice, but the empty van costs more than a completed conversion with the PM. Way out of my price range. I've heard from several UPS and FedEx drivers that the PM does quite well in the snow. I'll get some new wheels and snow tires before the first snow flies. Feel free to drop me a PM when you are in the Bend area and you can see what I've done!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
....cut....

Thank you for any and all advice!

One of the questions I'd have is how much of the original van's roof must be removed. In Europe, where they appear to have higher safety standards for motorhomes, they add pop-up roofs to high-roof Ducatos. One major difference "may" be that these types of roofs don't require as much of original structure to be removed.

Some models like pictured attached use longer van.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got check out a low roof PM done by sportsmobile. It was pretty cool. But I liked my 136 HT better. His 14 model LT seemed to have all the bad PM bugs in it. He was at the dealer trying to get them solved. Made me feel lucky about my 14 HT. It seemed downright reliable by comparison! Had to think that perhaps some of the issues were caused by the conversion company. But that was just a suspicion on my part.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No issues with NW winter driving, I've put 70k+ on my 2016 136 LR. Last winter was pretty extreme, lots of ice and snow and worked great on my trips from Camas where I'm based over the mountains and thru the gorge Ice. No studs, chains or snow tires, just the stock Vanco's and a bit lower air pressure when conditions warrant it. Oh and with 4 go with the 159 you'll be happy with the extra space.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts