Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

We're new around here, trying to research as much as possible before starting our build (no van yet). Building out a camper van has been on our radar for years now, and we literally just high fived over joining this forum - I guess this makes it officially official.

Thanks in advance for all the information - we're already learning a ton from these threads.

We've got a 4.5 month old. Anyone else around here design things around throwing a baby into the mix? Would love some specific guidance in that arena, if it's around.

Excited to be here.

- Nando, Brie, & Orion

·
Registered
498 Posts
Welcome! I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but make sure to get someone familiar with installing approved seat-belted seats for your child. I found used seats out a Ford Transit that have the Latch System for baby seats.... although my kids are long past that stage. You can find these seats used as many people seem to remove them from the Transits. Enjoy the journey and the process (van build and parenthood).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome! I second ShaunB on the Transit seats. The are tanks with build in seat belts and Latch points. We are building our van to work with a family of four with the two kids still at booster seat age. The Promaster ticked all the boxes for me!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,708 Posts
...make sure to get someone familiar with installing approved seat-belted seats for your child.
I think the installer needs more than just "familiarity" with seats for children in a cargo van. I think you need to find a legally-certified upfitter to install seats that meet legal and insurance requirements for transporting children. For me, a DIY install no matter how strong I thought it was, was not good enough... Plans changed...but in my case, the vans is built for retired people (us) and camping.

Much earlier in my plans, I had thought about a removable seat for passengers. Some of the issues I discovered were... installer's unwillingness to accept legal responsibilty for the install, insurability of seats installed in what was sold and marketed as a cargo van, the certification of a non-Promaster seat in a Promaster, interior surfaces covered correctly and compatible with a passenger van, window requirements, etc.

I would suggest some discussion with a business certified to add seats to a van, like an airport transit upfitter or handicapped-secured seating.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but hoping you will consider the details that are involved carefully...really important for the little guys and gals! :)

As a side note, when I built my '72 Dodge van into a camper many years back, I built a wooden box that fit between the two front seats. Many a friend occupied the "third seat" on trips long and short. No bolts, no seatbelts, no one really worried about it!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Huh, I'd been searching in vain for threads about passenger seats and hey presto! So welcome and thanks for bringing up the subject.

More for a dinette option than in transit, although the dogs might jump on them. So I'm less concerned about legalities. I've considered the Ford Transit seats, used bus seats and Jeep 'fold-n-tumble' seats. I'm curious if there are any other threads on this topic. It's proving tough to search for because the various key-words are used all over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts