Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the happy owner of a 2015 diesel 136" high roof van purchased for a camper conversion. This forum has been a great source of information for planning the camper and I hope to post more info as the conversion progresses.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Welcome, we a fun group, sorta like romper room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I plan on purchasing next year.

•*I also plan on an RV conversion (for two people).
•*I like the 136" wheelbase like you got (the 159" looks crazy-long).
•*I'm leaning toward 2500 since it is also going to be an RV and will have that extra weight on it all the time.

How did your buying experience go?
How did you decide which one to get?
What was did it end up costing you (if you don't mind)?
Did you go with a fleet dealer and order or just drive one off the lot?
Get it locally or did you have to head out a ways to get what you were looking for?
Cargo can or windowed?

I know, lots of questions.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome***** Scale your empty PM, than scale after convertion.
For e Future Contest " Fat grown on ProMaster"

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts

•*I'm leaning toward 2500 since it is also going to be an RV and will have that extra weight on it all the time.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between a 136- 1500 and a 136- 2500 van except the price, the badge, and a bit higher listing for the GVWR. Not even stiffer springs! Why, we don't know. It has been extensively researched earlier. BTW the just slightly higher GVWR may be a help as it is pushed over 9,000 lbs. and all the manufactured class b motorhomes seem to weigh that. It then fits better in the list of requirements to insure it as an RV which is generally cheaper than as a commercial vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is NO DIFFERENCE between a 136- 1500 and a 136- 2500 van except the price, the badge, and a bit higher listing for the GVWR. Not even stiffer springs! Why, we don't know. It has been extensively researched earlier. BTW the just slightly higher GVWR may be a help as it is pushed over 9,000 lbs. and all the manufactured class b motorhomes seem to weigh that. It then fits better in the list of requirements to insure it as an RV which is generally cheaper than as a commercial vehicle.
There is a difference between the 1500 / 2500 / 3500 models that was important to me. The final drive ratio for the gas model is 3.16, 3.43, and 3.86 for the respective models. I wanted the 1500 drive ratio for improved mileage. I am not sure if this applies to the diesel model as well but it probably does. Anyway, the 1500 was on the lot and fit my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There is a difference between the 1500 / 2500 / 3500 models that was important to me. The final drive ratio for the gas model is 3.16, 3.43, and 3.86 for the respective models. I wanted the 1500 drive ratio for improved mileage. I am not sure if this applies to the diesel model as well but it probably does. Anyway, the 1500 was on the lot and fit my needs perfectly.
I now this has been debated before, and my memory is that it has been shown to be false. IIRC, the different final drive ratios were initially from a very early specs release of the 2014 PM.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

How did your buying experience go?
How did you decide which one to get?
What was did it end up costing you (if you don't mind)?
Did you go with a fleet dealer and order or just drive one off the lot?
Get it locally or did you have to head out a ways to get what you were looking for?
Cargo can or windowed?

I purchase my Promaster 1500 cargo van through Tom Brookshire at AutoNation Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Seattle. Tom is the commercial sales manager and dealing with him was straightforward with non of the BS normally associated with a vehicle purchase. He also is very knowledgeable about the Promaster.

I researched the prices paid for Promasters at the time made him an offer that was classified as a better than average deal. My cost before tax and license was about $36K including the $1000 rebate available at the time.

Here is the option list advertised for my vehicle:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I now this has been debated before, and my memory is that it has been shown to be false. IIRC, the different final drive ratios were initially from a very early specs release of the 2014 PM.
I did pull this info from 2014 specs found online so it is probably not current.

I have a 2015 service manual and it specifies only a 3.43 drive ratio for the gas model. No mention of drive ratio was made in the diesel model section.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts