Ram Promaster Forum banner

New CR Laurence AW1033 Window Pictures!

18K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Beavercreek OH 
#1 ·
Just picked up the new AW1033 CR Laurence window from Campervan HQ. I took a few pics since the windows from CRL seem to be hard to come by sometimes. Seems like a well built window. Looks a lot sleeker than the vw1033. Its a crank out window that opens about 4 inches.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought a pair of these as well. I agree with your comments. They look to be very well made but I agree the awning doesn't come out that far. I plan to add them to the upper rear corners to provide light and ventilation to the bedroom area.

Shaun

#3 ·
I just ordered 2 of these from DK Hardware, but they won't be shipping until later this month. They look great and will provide ventilation at both ends of my bed area while also protecting against precipitation.

VanTastic and ShaunB, if you have any tips / pictures to share after you install yours, I'd really appreciate it.

#4 ·
Possible Interference with Sliding Door?

I'm looking into getting one of these for the rear of the passenger side. Any feedback on how the installations went and is there a possibility of the sliding door interfering (crashing) into the window when the window is open (Murphy's Law for me) would be helpful - thanks!

#5 ·
CBruson,
I installed them this week. Pretty straightforward with one exception. I found the top rearward corner was not clamping flush to the van wall, probably due to a slight curvature on the van wall in this place. I ended up making a shim (out of pieces of very thin cutting board) and wedged it between the clamping ring an the upper corner of the window. Basically between the clamping ring and the interior van wall. I also added a few screws to the corner of the clamping ring. It comes from CRL with no holes in the corners. This allowed me to really crank on the screws in the problem area and bring the window in tight all round.

I will be posting images on my instagram page... I'm at my upload limit on this site.

Shaun

#6 ·
Installed two awning windows

Windows have been added to the “bedroom”. I installed a pair of CRL awning windows (10x33”) to allow some light into the bedroom area, but also to give us good air flow when sleeping. Combined with the Maxxair fan above our heads we can get a good breeze. I’m getting some blackout curtains and insulating panels made to complete the job. I also created some more usable storage with bins up high and hatch cupboards next to the beds.

Follow this link to my instagram page for some pics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwAJf09Hg9C/

#8 ·
Vandood,

I just checked the distance from the exterior of the van to the lip of the fully extended awning window glass. It's 2.5". The distance from the van to the interior of the open slider door is 3". The 3" is measured to the perimeter of the interior slider, which it the part that is closest to the van when open. Having said all this I would think you won't have any interference with the door and window, assuming you don't have any finishing material on the inside of your slider.

Good luck.

#10 ·
Hey Shawn. I bought two of these windows, made a nice template, cut the holes, primer and painted the raw edge, then installed one of the windows, only to realize I have the same issue with there being a small gap because of the flatness of the window and slight curvature of the van - which I failed to realize prior to installing. I am relieved to come across your post, and solution. So thank you for that! It sounds like you used a thin cutting board to manufacture a gasket of sorts, but I don't really understand it. Would you mind expanding a bit on your solution? Thank you, again.

#11 ·
I basically cut thin pieces of cutting board and built them up to 1/2" or so and wedged them between the van skin and window frame (placed the pieces in the two upper corners of the window area). Then I drilled more holes in the window trim piece to be able to really tighten the window frame. Hope this helps.

#15 ·
I installed these last summer and have been happy with them. I wished I could have put them in further towards the rear but they are completely flat and if you start to move further back the sides have more of a curve to them. No leaks with lots of snow and ice over winter. No issues with clearance when open and using the slider either.

#20 ·
I installed these last summer and have been happy with them. I wished I could have put them in further towards the rear but they are completely flat and if you start to move further back the sides have more of a curve to them. No leaks with lots of snow and ice over winter. No issues with clearance when open and using the slider either.

View attachment 62829
Do you have wall panels attached to the interior side of your sliding door? If so, how thick did you go? I'm really starting to like the look of the awning windows, but don't want clearance issues.

#17 ·
It's not framing. They're stiffeners.
They're not installed when it's a window van. When they don't cut out the large areas of sheet metal for windows, they would vibrate and make a lot of noise. Plus deform easier if pushed on.
So they spot weld and glue in stiffeners.

#21 ·
Wow, been a while since i logged in, sorry. They make a bit of racket when open and driving, it is mostly the screen buffeting in the wind though. I close them when driving.

Do you have wall panels attached to the interior side of your sliding door? If so, how thick did you go? I'm really starting to like the look of the awning windows, but don't want clearance issues.
I do have a panel on the inside of the slider and it is close but doesn't make contact when open. The panel is 1/8" ply with fabric covering, no foam under fabric.

#22 ·
Interested in awning window aft of passenger slider on 136WB high roof. Forum consensus and @ShaunB #8 dimensions indicate non-interference of AW1033 CR Laurence with slider opening: 1) lip of the fully extended awning window glass 2.5" to exterior van surface; and, 2) distance of inner surface of opened van door to outer surface of van 3”.

Can’t reconcile this with @Vantastic #1 AW1033 CR Laurence crank out of about 4”?

Also, interested in crank-out distance (or angle) of Arctic Tern 300mm x 700mm if anyone has experience here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.