Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I posted here but apparently not. My wife and I are in our early 30's looking for a van to convert for offgrid camping. We're MTB'ers and snowboarders and we're both tall (6'1 / 5'11) a little concerned about the roof height of the promaster but everything else is very appealing. We're torn between the promaster and the transit right now but I'm not a big ford fan. I'm interested in learning more about the promaster. Reviews online don't seem to give it much credit but being in Moab the last week (lots of adventure vehicles) the promaster almost outnumbers the sprinter.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about your height being a problem in the promaster unless you install ton of insulation on the floor and ceiling, you should be fine. I think the hard part is going to be bed placement for your height. The big draw of the promaster is being able to sleep on the width of the van. It might be a little tight width wise but you could probably still do it. Some have installed twin beds side by side running the length of the van. Steve on this forum actually installed bunk beds which is a good use of space. However if you are planning making it a gear hauler, then you're probably going to want to do the raised bed in the rear with a garage underneath. If you have any RV dealers in the area, I'd go check out the Hymer Aktiv so you can get an idea of the cross van sleeping will work for your height. I'm 6ft and it was fine for me.

The Promaster is a great van to build around due to it's high roof and WIDE body. You have a ton of room to work with. I'm in the same boat as you, (I ride road bikes though), mid 30s and my wife and I want to travel around and camp in the van. I'm in the process of actually trying to acquire a van that's already converted so we can start using it right away but my old plan was a gear hauler with the bike underneath.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 136 High Roof and my wife and I are 5'11" and 6'2". Just insulated (Thinsulate) and installed roof vent/fan and using the van as a weekend camper with an Ikea folding futon for now to see how to build it out to fit our MTBs, kayaks, etc. and where to put cabinets, kitchen, etc. Stand up height is not an issue for me, even with a 1-1/2 inches of insulation in the ceiling and a VanRug Cargo Mat on the floor.

For those of you looking for a ready-made kit, Wayfarer Vans recently posted this video showing the install of their simple camper conversion package-

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thought I posted here but apparently not. My wife and I are in our early 30's looking for a van to convert for offgrid camping. We're MTB'ers and snowboarders and we're both tall (6'1 / 5'11) a little concerned about the roof height of the promaster but everything else is very appealing. We're torn between the promaster and the transit right now but I'm not a big ford fan. I'm interested in learning more about the promaster. Reviews online don't seem to give it much credit but being in Moab the last week (lots of adventure vehicles) the promaster almost outnumbers the sprinter.
Welcome to the forum. We just built a van based on the 3500 Ext. I am 6'2" and wife is 5'11". We briefly considered a bed setup cross-ways but as you raise the bed off the floor the van narrows so length is reduced. In the end we went with a double (ikea) mattress raised in the back of the van to create a very large garage with a slide out bike drawer (the drawer is 48"x60"). We can manually raise the bed to create an even larger garage, and when the bed's in the lowest position we have to removed our seatposts.

Regarding height inside the van. I added 3/4" of polyiso insulation under the factory floor and insulated the ceiling with thinsulate covered with a 1/4" plywood ceiling. I can walk with shoes on and only just brush the top of my head occasionally, totally acceptable to me. Check out my threads for build ideas, or go to @ShaunBike on instagram.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
And then I copied Eddie's design>:D
I know you want to do your own conversion, but you might want to look at the Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex for ideas. It has room for 4 bikes inside (on a 5 foot long slide out shelf in the back) underneath a queen bed (on an electric adjustable lift). Quality, well thought out conversion from a small, respected Canadian company. 15 month wait. So worth it though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts