Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I found the van of my dreams...a 2014, 136, high roof, with full warrantees and only 400 miles. Thanks to everyone for many tips on the build.
I want a simple camper, bed, stove, fridge and an option to secure my 7 ft sculpture inside to travel to Burning Man.
Currently trying to choose a quiet, insulated for option and...wow! So many options.

I'm lurking!!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
Welcome... like to hear more about your experiences at Burning Man.

Insulation? to keep warm or cool or quiet?

My windows-all-around PM in Granite gets hot in the sun, really hot. Don't think there's a good way to cool it except to park in some shade! That actually works pretty well. OTOH, I haven't insulated the roof at all... yet.

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
proeddie,
In the sun that roof will radiate 120º heat into the interior I used an infrared non-contact thermometer and regularly got 105º to 120º before insulation. 1 inch of polyisocyanurate got the surface temperatures down to 80º to 90º in the same sun. Big difference.
crispy13,
At Burning Man I'd want that much insulation AND reflective covers for the windows, a generator and AC.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Last summer I had foam core panels on the ceiling. That and a battery powered fan was tolerable. The van Im in now just has space blanket taped to the ceiling. You know, those mylar mirror foil blankets they give to plane crash victims. Stuff is dirt cheap (think I got 120 of them for $35, took 2 to do the whole ceiling.

But I think at burning man you will have to commit to idling during the day. Van burns 0.4 gallons per hour idling. Also, cardboard over your windows. Night you should be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feed back. Im using thinsulate and the silver foil on the walls, foam board on the ceiling and yoga mat rubber, silver and ply under the pergo.

Starting install of three windows this week and am reading everything here.
Yes, I will make reflective coverings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts