Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2015 136" tall a couple of weeks ago. Plan is for a functional camper by Memorial Day, if not sooner. I previously had a 2004 sprinter and I'm looking forward to standing up straight (I'm 6'2") and hopefully better reliability.

I have a rough layout plan, and will mock it up once the floor is in.

First Steps:

Floor - Noico Sound deadening/blocking around rear wheels, 1/2" denim, Raamaudio Ensolute, 1/2" plywood, and 1/4" recycled rubber. Somewhat green, quiet, low profile, and warm. I did 3/8" rubber in the sprinter and it was quieter, oh well.

Walls
I put sound deadening in so far, will add denim batting on top of that and seal it off with the 1/2" denim batt/radiant barrier. I know there's no air space, but it's mainly just to keep everything in place. I'm thining I'll do Luan on top of that, well supported so it doesn't warp/creep like the sprinter did, but I'm still un the air here. Maybe I'll just buy Penda liners and glue fabric on those? I'm going to do the front doors too, and put the radiant barrier shiny side out so it's low profile and the window still works. A job for another day.

Windows
I cut lots of holes in my old sprinter, but this one was much scarier for some reason. I used a jigsaw, transfering the outline from the inside to the outside by drilling small holes. Finished it off with an angle grinder and some paint to protect the edge. The CR Laurence window looks nice, but the motion windows I had before seemed slightly higher quality. I'd still pick CR again, as they look a lot better and match the rear windows.

Measure and tape around the outside, use a few layers just in case to protect the paint.

Cut and fit!

Bike fitting plan is diagonal, again being so tall my bikes are all huge too. Using this method, I've gotten it down to 50" into the living space. I'll build a drawer for this next.

That's all I have for now, I promised I'd share photos! Some of this is tried and true from the old van, some new, all open for suggestions.

I have a Starkpower 100ah lithium battery and a pile of electrical stuff to do next!

J

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Great Van you are going to love that 136 HT.
I would rethink Denim. It has a bad characteristic that even your jeans exhibit. If they get wet they take forever to dry compared to other forms of insulation, and condensation will happen inside your van and the denim will be wet. Thinsulate is much better and made for vehicles, some board insulation is sealed against moisture such as Polyisocyanurate (foil covered). It’s your van but I had denim under a mat in my 1985 F150 and it rusted out the floor and stunk once the mold started in it. No one wanted to ride with me as the truck stunk so bad. Once I stripped it out and patched the floor all was good. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.......

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,677 Posts
I've seen the same warning and some horror stories on other forums as well. The stuff has mold inhibitors added for a reason.

Never forget that a van is not a house. A house breathes through its external shell; a van does not. Another gotcha involves electric wiring: houses don't get vibrated like vans do, so solid wiring in a van is not advised.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I've had good luck in my dry climate with it before, I even inspected it to make sure after a couple of years. I think it's tough to mold when sitting in the sun and baking all day all summer at 20% humidity.

This van will be much better sealed though, the sprinter door seals had some gaps I couldn't adjust all out for the life of me.

Good tip on the wiring too, no solid here!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts