Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which one I should focus on here.

First let me say I'm a Handyman in the Southeast U.S. and plan to outfit it with partition (with door), ladder rack and shelving (made by me, thanks to the awesome build out post on this website).

Its Dec 2015, and there are still a few new 2014 that dealers seem willing to part with.

On the other hand there are low milage 2015 used that I've looked at that are just as nice as new with 3K to 22k miles on them at different price points.

I'm concerned about a new one having sat on the lot for a year and a half or more. I'm thinking too that I'll have to deal with all the bugs that were in the 2014's too. Even so, the bugs seem to be not that big a deal.

I've got a lot to choose from in both categories, so I could rule one out and focus on the other.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New and omitted info:

For about 2k more I can get a used 2015 diesel with 35K miles on.

Also I used to be a heavy equipment diesel mechanic... I tend to do most of my own servicing.

Never owned a diesel vehicle before...

Even tho diesel is more expensive here in GA, I'm not afraid of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2014 as you can see in my sig. Just over 3000 miles so far and it's been a giant PitA. Been to the dealer 4 times, probably a week and a half without it in total. The parts are hard to come by, they aren't familiar with the Promaster like they are other products, FCA rolled it out fast without the proper support IMO. They constantly have to go back to FCA for input on repairs. My dealer is a good one too, I've had previous experiences with them. Maybe the bugs aren't a big deal from an overall perspective but if there's no support then it becomes one.

As far as sitting goes, it might be a concern. Mine sat at the dealer for 2 days while they figured out a problem which was corrosion on some part. How that can happen is beyond me but sitting probably had something to do with it. The automatic manual transmission is clunky, make no mistake about that but I've learned to drive with it in mind.

Now for the flip side, I got such a deal I couldn't refuse. I anticipated some issues with a new roll-out and I got them for sure. The diesel mileage is incredible, probably 21 in city (stop and go suburban residential area with tons of hills) and much higher on the highway. Power has never been an issue. The range is fantastic.

Would I do it over again, yes...but I'm disappointed with FCA and Ram overall for this. I'm no flag waver for FCA and Ram and I'm left with a feeling of what's going to go next...not the mind-set you want as you drop a load of cash on an expensive product. From a functional standpoint though the van itself is outstanding.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I personally would buy new. I've never been a fan of pre owned vehicles. My 2014 diesel has been flawless for the last 60,000 miles. I love the trans. Mainly knowing that the trans is bullet proof and will last. Also my driving is all Highway and the van pulls like a Freighliner, always has power and effortless.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
If the diesel is used, and doesn't have a build date of about March to May 2015 it may be no better than a 2014. My dealer commented on having some issues with DEF sitting in the several summer months between build and receipt so longer is not good. If it was a 2014-early 2015 diesel I would pay to have the DEF drained if the dealer balked at donating that service. A mid to late 2015 diesel is one phenomenal combination! Most earlier ones were OK like Adrian's. Get the latest software installed on prep if its new or used!

2014 gassers are probably fine. FCA may need to replace the radiator, some brake pads and bushings which will give you some down time but the parts are available for them. Very late 2014's will have less of these issues.

How much will you save? I too bought new as some low to medium mileage trades are for a reason and you are never going to know until you own it. Buyer beware. All the 2015's seem to have had most issues solved later ones are even better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Food for thought.

Thanks for the input. I'm going a hunting tomorrow, We'll see if I can kill it and drag it home :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
If 2014 also ask them to change the tyres since standing all that time on a dealer lot tyres start to "ovalyze" and also there is tyre rubber degradation by sun and temperature variations. (for example freezing).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my 2015 Ram Promaster last night.
136" Low Roof, gasser, base model, no partition.
20K miles, drive out cost $20,500.00.

Installed plywood floor with underlayment as per prior posts on the forum.
Will be building custom shelving as I go.

Future upgrades will be a drop down ladder rack, forward/reverse cameras, and possibly a partition.
(Forward camera will be pointed up so I can see stop lights, I'm 6'5" tall)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts