Thank you
Just retired
Want to custom build rv to our specs
Anyone you know?
Have found new 136

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine for less than 30k, 159" with power/heated mirrors, wood floor, LED cargo lighting, driver and passenger 6 way adjustable seats. other than that, pretty bare bones. seemed like the cheapest near me. I am in Minneapolis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
CarGuru worked for me. We got a 2500 159" high roof, but had to drive 800 miles from Oklahoma to get one that was not white and a color my wife and I both liked - Granite. Good hunting. I too recommend the 159, extended 3500 was too much more since I got a great deal on my 2500.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went with the extended 3500 and can't imagine a 136 and I am only using mine 3-5 nights a week, but mine is a camper conversion. I don't know your intended usage, but I think I would miss the space on anything less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for advice
Looking at 159
Build as camper six months a year
But also must be daily driver

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Everyone's needs vary a bit. A place like NY city or Tokyo, having the shorter van would make life easier.
But for most daily driving situations, the 159 can fit anywhere a standard pickup truck can fit.
My (159) van is my daily driver and I drive it everywhere. It hasn't been a burden to maneuver or park at all.
Whatever wheel base you get, I suggest a window in the slider. That blind spot is the only thing challenging about driving the van.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks
Leaning to what you advise
Still looking for new under 30k
And someone to do minimum build to our specs
We have access to the appliance we want..we are boat builders
Trying to make simple but quality for about 40k

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks
Leaning to what you advise
Still looking for new under 30k
And someone to do minimum build to our specs
We have access to the appliance we want..we are boat builders
Trying to make simple but quality for about 40k
I was likely the guy referenced above about buying a van in Chicago. I got a new 2019 136" for under $27k. I'm from Oregon, but it was still cheaper for me to buy in Chicago and ship it to Oregon as it was to buy local. This guy was remarkably helpful.

Sebastian Nowak
cell 847 910 3837
Ram Promaster Director of Operations
JACK PHELAN RAM JEEP CHRYSLER DODGE

·
Registered
59 Posts
These guys have a handful of very low miles 159 HT bought for Hymer Conversions before they shut down and didn't take delivery. Inventory | Hennessy Buick GMC We are longtime boaters, the electrical, plumbing and mechanical can be almost identical to a boat.
That's where I got my 2018 2500 159 in Granite. It was worth the 800 mile drive from Oklahoma. Just over 30K, under 50 miles, warranty started late August 2019. They have been titled, so technically used, but really no impact other than warranty start date. Easy to deal with. If you want a 2500 159 that is new (essentially), that will be the best price, based on all of my research.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been in touch with Hennessy
They have ,new 2018 159 for 30k
Is that about best price

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe so. I tried hard to get them to go lower, but it really is a good deal. I worked with a local dealer on a 2019 and had them down to invoice, but the 2018s at Hennessey were $2500 less with about $2000 more in features. The badge delete is nice. They picked my wife and I up from the airport, test drove it, did the paperwork and were out in about an hour. I had to put down a $500 deposit a week or two before to hold the one I wanted. Note their dealer fees at about $799.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks
Hate to pick your brain.. but
Insurance quote is $1700/yr
But if total they say Kelly blue book value
Cannot find that value

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are some good threads on insurance on the forum. But you should be able to find values on Nada.com or KBB.com. I also recall others being able to insure for the additional value of the conversion. Mine is just on my personal auto policy now (at about your quote amount), but plan to move it to an RV policy after it is finished. That should be cheaper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Been in touch with Hennessy
They have ,new 2018 159 for 30k
Is that about best price
That may be the best, I don't know as I was looking at 136s, but look at MSRP. My van in Chicago was $10,000 off MSRP and that seemed to be about what he could do on new 2019s. His dealer fee was also about $150.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for All advise!
Moving from boat life ..all year
To 50/50 van life
Will pick more brains when we can
Anyone want a boat for another world cruise?
We want land cruising.

I

1 - 20 of 34 Posts