Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Name is Billy Ackerman and I’m working on a new 136 HR Promaster Van project.

My vision is the ultimate kitesurfing and gear-hauling travel machine. This is defiantly the place for inspiration and advice which is why I’m here. Let the build talk begin.

I’ve started with the roof racks, building a cargo style double hoop basket 10’ long x 5’ wide utilizing the 6x factory attachment points. No holes in the roof which I like. The entire rack is aluminum with a diamond stamped solid floor. Going to add 2x removable cross bars for the larger SUP Raceboards. I'm having a local business in Jacksonville Beach, FL do all the aluminum work.

Rack is sent to powercoat and will be installed next week, chose to go with a matte satin black with a subtle texture like the plastic bumpers...

More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Clean, functional, strong design.
Your thoughts regarding the driver side slider?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean, functional, strong design.
Your thoughts regarding the driver side slider?
Hey Roblee, van has sliders on both sides, not quite sure how I feel about 2x sliders yet. Seems to be very convenient loading and unloading surfboards and paddleboards. I do like the windows on both sides so far.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Powdercoating is not that resistant to UV. IT can oxidize quickly. And if it isn't applied to the freshly blasted aluminum with in an hour, flash corrosion occurs on the metal that will cause the PC to fail later. It'll start flaking off in large pieces. And the black will get very hot in the sun causing warpage of the rack.

I would suggest thinking "practical" vice fashion in a project like this.

On my own van, the silver anodized aluminum solar panels expand enough on a hot summers day to bow them upwards in the middle. It'd be a bigger problem if they were matte black.

The roof of a van in a sunny state is a harsh environment.

I used to do powdercoating back when I was in the Navy. After initially being a fan, I got to see what happened to it over time and how the initial metal prep affected its service life. Now I am back to liking catalyzed enamels.

But that aside, welcome to the forum! Best of luck on your project! These vans are a great blank canvas for projects!

Reactions: PMF

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Powdercoating is not that resistant to UV. IT can oxidize quickly. And if it isn't applied to the freshly blasted aluminum with in an hour, flash corrosion occurs on the metal that will cause the PC to fail later. It'll start flaking off in large pieces. And the black will get very hot in the sun causing warpage of the rack.

I would suggest thinking "practical" vice fashion in a project like this.

On my own van, the silver anodized aluminum solar panels expand enough on a hot summers day to bow them upwards in the middle. It'd be a bigger problem if they were matte black.

The roof of a van in a sunny state is a harsh environment.

I used to do powdercoating back when I was in the Navy. After initially being a fan, I got to see what happened to it over time and how the initial metal prep affected its service life. Now I am back to liking catalyzed enamels.

But that aside, welcome to the forum! Best of luck on your project! These vans are a great blank canvas for projects!
Hey Rich, Thank you for the feedback, we will see how it holds up. Everything is already in the works and being done professionally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Billy and welcome to the jungle... Van is looking great, brother! Can't wait to see it grow. 'Catch ya in the water... ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Rack is sent to powercoat and will be installed next week, chose to go with a matte satin black with a subtle texture like the plastic bumpers....
As I read your post, I had similar thoughts to Rich. I work with aluminum frequently and I have had several large items powder-coated. In this case, powder-coating seems like extra expense for a questionable result. When the powdercoat gets scratched, aluminum will show. That will be more noticeable than scuffs on bare aluminum, which can easily be buffed out. Anyway, the rack looks good. Enjoy your van.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks good, did you build the ladder or purchase?

I'm looking for a ladder similar for a low roof, I'd definitely appreciate any info you can pass on

·
Registered
892 Posts
Take precautions to keep that ladder from denting your van when folded fully open.

I say this because we are both into high wind sports. I've had my door ripped out of my hands and door flung around so hard that little RAM logo dented my body side panel.

Add a door stopper or something ASAP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take precautions to keep that ladder from denting your van when folded fully open.

I say this because we are both into high wind sports. I've had my door ripped out of my hands and door flung around so hard that little RAM logo dented my body side panel.

Add a door stopper or something ASAP.
We designed it to where it clears perfectly with a little room for heavy wind or fast opening. I was going to get a small circular rubber stopper just in case. Good point Dwight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ladder

Looks good, did you build the ladder or purchase?

I'm looking for a ladder similar for a low roof, I'd definitely appreciate any info you can pass on
Hey BillMac, The ladder is custom for the van, i can give you the contact information for the aluminum guy who did mine if you would like. He is located in Jacksonville Beach, Florida and does wonderful work.

DAVE MAIN
MAIN MADE STUDIOS
[email protected]
CALL (904) 606-3000
WWW.MAINMADESTUDIOS.COM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts