Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brothers 3500, 159 wb, high roof PM all of the sudden started running bad and service engine light came on. He went to dealer on Monday, they checked it and said it was internal engine problem. So of course they have to deal with Chrysler on the problem. They changed oil twice and lots of metal came out both times not good. They pulled oil pan and top of motor and found more metal. There is a week of work shot. They recommended a new engine to Chrysler now they have to wait for the okay. This is very unusual for a new engine to fail so soon 5000 miles, so I am sure Chrysler is checking it out. I will keep you posted, Hopefully be fixed by early next week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The pentastar's a great motor. But, of course, with all things mechanical, you're going to find one now and then that had some issue when it was built.

Chrysler wants to improve their reliability image very much (and they have made very large strides in the actual reliability), and so I suspect you'll get well treated. Dealer attitudes... well, that's a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a update. Needs new engine, none available until mid September. That is real bad news for a small business. The dealer Keene dodge is working with us the best they can. They are going to get binns set up in another pm for us by Wed. and we can use until ours is repaired. Still inconvenient but better then nothing. I think Keene is working with us very well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You have a lemon law case. 3 months in the shop in the first 18 months. Ask for a new van. It's nothing on the dealer, this is between you and Fiat.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can believe the September date as Chrysler is running full out with all the vehicles that take the Pentastar.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I can believe the September date as Chrysler is running full out with all the vehicles that take the Pentastar.....
Bob Lutz once said something to the effect of it's better to spend your efforts keeping the customers you have, than trying to chase new ones. Service needs should take priority.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Bob Lutz once said something to the effect of it's better to spend your efforts keeping the customers you have, than trying to chase new ones. Service needs should take priority.
This is true but unfortunately not the way Americas, short term business thinking works

·
Super Moderator
8,367 Posts
It's hard to believe Chrysler doesn't keep a few engines and transaxles on pallets for warrantee work. Two months wait for a new engine is not an acceptable option as far as I'm concerned!

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Lemon laws" are not even remotely comparable between states and provinces. Case in point; Ontario has no "lemon law" at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Even if you don't have a Lemon Law backing you up, I recommend asking for a buy-back and replacement vehicle. Have you been in touch with Chrysler corporate directly, or are you working only with your dealer? The length of time you are being asked to wait to use your vehicle is unreasonable.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You can always tweet with a [email protected]

Adding the dot before the @ramtrucks broadcasts the tweet to everyone following @ramtrucks

I recommended this to the guy with the squeaking suspension. He tweeted about his problem and Chrysler contacted him immediately and he got his fixed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a update. Talked to Chrysler and got a case number. Let them know about my problem and he said that was way to long to wait. I later let him know about the lemon law. Guess what the engine will be in next week. Even though this was very inconvenient everyone I dealt with was very nice and helpful, professional. I will let you know when it is all fixed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is hopefully last update on engine replacement. I got the pm back this afternoon. They got a short block and heads separate and assembled at the dealer. Not exactly what I wanted, but that was the quickest way to get everything. I was hoping for a complete already assembled factory engine. I do have the extended 100,000 mile warranty, So I am not worried.It took 25 days they made under 30. They did test drive for 60 miles and cleaned and waxed.Now I get to deal with Chrysler on some kind of reimbursements.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any suggestions on what I should ask for from Chrysler for reimbursement. Thanks for your responses about lemon laws I think that helped speed things up a little.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Any suggestions on what I should ask for from Chrysler for reimbursement. Thanks for your responses about lemon laws I think that helped speed things up a little.
Maybe a credit voucher. You'd get more with that. Might be easier for Ram to do also. But if you don't plan to buy any more Rams in the next few years, it would be worthless.

My friend took Ford to arbitration over a blown engine 1000 miles out of warranty. He ended up getting half the cost of the new engine refunded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts