Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to large trucks like the ext 3500 promaster. I am trying to figure out how much weight I can put in the van and pull with trailer at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new to large trucks like the ext 3500 promaster. I am trying to figure out how much weight I can put in the van and pull with trailer at the same time.
Towing - you'll need to know the towing weight, which is the weight of the trailer plus it's contents and compare to the Max Towing Capacity of the vehicle you have selected.

Payload - is the weight of all the cargo loaded in the vehicle, plus shelving, weight of the drivers and passengers, plus basically anything you put into the vehicle..... PLUS the tongue weight of the trailer (typically 10-15% of the towing weight). Compare to the listed payload of the spec you have in mind.

If you are running heavy be very careful to select the correct vehicle to match the capacities you need.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
You should plan to stay at or below many equipment limits covered by model specifications. Here are some for the PM 3500 (I'm going from memory so you need to confirm).

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) must remain at or below 9350 pounds. Within that weight limit both the front and rear axle weight limits must not be exceeded. This weight is everything that loads the van as if you weigh it on scales -- which I highly recommend to anyone that is towing and/or heavily loaded. As mentioned above that must include the trailer's tongue weight.

Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) must remain at or below 11500 pounds for the gasoline PM van and trailer combined. Obviously the heavier the van the less the trailer can weigh without exceeding the 11500 pound limit.

Even if van is nearly empty and thus very light, the maximum trailer weight can not be exceeded even if the GCWR or GVWR are within specs. Also maximum trailer hitch capacity can not be exceeded even if all other limits are well below maximum specified. If your hitch is rated for only 2000 pounds then it doesn't matter that you could tow 5000 if not for that.

Additionally, most manufacturers place a limit on the cross-sectional size of the trailer. That's because wind drag uses so much power. Even if trailer is light, towing a trailer 8-feet wide and 12 feet tall like many camping trailers could stress the power train too much.

There are other performance limits but these are the big ones that come to mind first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts