Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gas promaster. Trying to figure out which air/water heater to use.

I'm thinking of either running on LP, or diesel via a tank mounted either under the van or inside.

For LP, there's the TrumaCombi Eco Plus. Pretty large.

For diesel, there's the Wabasto Dual Top

I haven't been able to find pricing on either.

Any reason I should definitely go with one vs. the other? Or is there something else out there?

Van is stealth and cannot have vents out the side or roof. I'm pretty sure both units above vent under the van.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Do you know if it exhausts through the floor? And does it mount inside and/or outside (underneath floor)?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I understand the heaters are installed inside, and yes exhaust through the floor. You'll probably also want to get the accompanying muffler.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'm just gonna go with the Webasto Air Top 2000 STC Petrol 12v Heater Kit.

I'll hold off on a hot water heater. I love the idea of one fuel source more than hot water in a van.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I don’t, sorry. There are other heaters but this seems a bargain one. Others who have experience might pipe up here as I know what I know, and don’t like to get too deep into my ignorance as it always shows if I do. If I wanted hot water and could manage my driving/stopping to have some every few days, it would open the possibility of a built-in shower. Other than that I don’t see the need. There have been some posts here about rear heater and this plumbs just the same.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45265

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I add a hot water heater, I'm looking into using an electric water heater designed for tea/coffee. It's 700W and does 8oz a minute (at 200°F) with a 2/3 gallon tank. I'll obviously have it at the lowest setting, hopefully it gets closer to 100° instead of 200° or else it won't work. If it can get to 100°, it should be able to do 2-3x the stated rate of 8oz.

Turns out on-demand water heaters don't heat the water in the line between the exit of the heater and the shower/faucet head. A tank heater DOES heat the water in the line, so you don't have to run the water for a while before the hot water pours out - way more efficient. Also, at only 700W and running it for no more than a few minutes, it's nothing. And it doesn't need to be vented, and no propane.

You also don't have to drive to get hot water from coolant lines with the heater.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts