Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,263 Posts
Hi,
It does seem fishy that the EER is so low, and it may well be they are quoting the COP.

They quote the cooling as 2300 BTU/hr and they state a power use of 650 watts - no mention as to whether the two go together. But, if they did 2300/650 = 3.5 for the EER.
Not sure what to make of it.

Gary
I think the power consumption is actually around 260 watts according to the home depot site and 650 watts is the cooling power. 650 x 3.4 = 2210... which is almost 2300 BTU.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system Software

Its all very sloppy and imprecise, I've also seen specs elsewhere giving 700 watts of cooling, 700watts / 260 watts = 2.6923 ~ 2.7
If it used 650 watts the amperage from the 24 volt battery would be 27 amps. I doubt that.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi,
It does seem fishy that the EER is so low, and it may well be they are quoting the COP.

They quote the cooling as 2300 BTU/hr and they state a power use of 650 watts - no mention as to whether the two go together. But, if they did 2300/650 = 3.5 for the EER.
But, then in another part of the Amazon listing for it, they quote a power or 240 watts, which would give an EER of about 9.6.
Not sure what to make of it.

Gary
Here's a video where the guy talks about the power consumption. I think this website is the main distributer. They tell a lot of history on its creation. He said he can run it for 15 hrs on 300ah of lithium -- no solar.

Does the Zero Breeze Mark 2 work on 120 volts? - Tredless Help Center

This is a Snow & Curt review video. These guys made the van video that helped me budget my van way back when, to see if I could actually afford to buy a van and converted it for $10-12k (conversion cost) and have all the amenities I wanted.

Curt gives some technical stuff about how this unit is designed. He said if you can close off an area, it works great for sleeping, and pulls out a lot of humidity. That might work for me. He said the ideal thing would be if the company that makes it took the technology and made the unit bigger so it would cool a whole van.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
In hotter areas, it takes at least 10K BTU to be useful.

What isn't completely obvious is the ratings are based on relatively moderate outside air temperatures ( ~ 90 F).

The capacity falls off very fast above that, so in hotter climates like AZ / CA, a 10K BTU air conditioner is really only running ~ 5K BTU effective.

In part, this is due to the reduced capability of modern / ozone friendly refrigerants vs the original ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm thinking ahead to the summer. I can't put AC in my van. There's not a single Sq Ft left on the roof. Plus I don't mind the heat, as long as it's not in the 90's and up. But with a dog (7 lb chihuahua) possibly left in the van alone at times (very few times, for very short durations), and for sleeping comfort at night when I can't leave the slider and back doors open, I think I will need more than just a fan. So I'm looking for advise.

I'm thinking of getting this now because I have a coupon for 10% off at home depot, and I'm guessing winter prices will be less than summer prices––unless right now it's a jacked up price. Has anyone bought one of these? Is this a good price? Do you think the price will go down or up once summer approaches? Does anyone have experience with this product? I know if I'd bought a Webesco heater in the summer it would have been so much cheaper than it is now.

This is so much more money than I want to spend, but I'm really afraid the van will be unbearable in the summer heat, and that would suck. One plus for this devise is, since I don't live in the van, this could be left at home when not needed. Ugg! I can't decide what to do!

ZERO BREEZE 2300 BTU Mark 2 Portable Air Conditioner Plus Rechargeable Battery-Z20P - The Home Depot

View attachment 81772
Hi not sure if I’m doing this right and it might be a slightly different situation but I did the whole US this summer and it did hit a 119 in Needles Cal. I insulated the entire inside of my HT with 1/4 foiled insulation from HD. I bought a apartment standup Ac unit and put it between the seats when needed and made an adapter plate from 1/4 panel and put the flex to it. It fit perfect and put a 14” al screened soffit on passenger side.. took about 5 min to install..got creative where I got power from..did two months 14000 miles without an issue…what was nice this unit did not make it rain in there either like some equipment….took my dog on the motorcycle, bike and hikes when needed. 250.00 total

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I had one of those in a Pasadena apartment that had 24 windows that opened like doors. It worked great. And fitting it between the seats I’d a great use of space. By “got creative “ did you find unexpected places to plug in? I’ve been trying to solve the problem w/o plugging in, which would be impossible in those temps.

Out of curiosity, what was your gas bill like for 14,000 miles? My van gets horrible mileage. I’m used to a fiat 500 with great mpg, so I could just be spoiled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had one of those in a Pasadena apartment that had 24 windows that opened like doors. It worked great. And fitting it between the seats I’d a great use of space. By “got creative “ did you find unexpected places to plug in? I’ve been trying to solve the problem w/o plugging in, which would be impossible in those temps.

Out of curiosity, what was your gas bill like for 14,000 miles? My van gets horrible mileage. I’m used to a fiat 500 with great mpg, so I could just be spoiled.
Well might have unscrewed a few light bulbs and screwed in single outlet in a a couple places, always put them back. Parked next to someone with an RV started a conversation with a cold one and they let me plug in.
Well gas was the tough one.. gas prices shot up by the day. 8000.00 gas for the entire trip. The day before the trip I put slotted vented rotors and nice tires and rims. I figured these Hi top vans don’t stop anyways and 16 mountain ranges I’d better do something. I put king size camper bed 4 ft up made a set up with 28 cabinets two TVs 4 small oscillating fans and strip LED lighting all the way around. I even made a custom cornhole board set that matched the theme of the trip. Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a really fun experience. 8 grand for gas! wow. I'm on the east coast now, so I'm gonna go up and down the coast this summer.
I’m in Jersey that’s where I started… changed the oil three times in one drive lol. I’m going to put the bike in the van this summer and park it in Wilmington NC then take off I want to go to Muscle Shoals music studio, then the site of a famous B17 crash and Lynard Skynards crash site too. Then to Key West and back. Saving my pennies again lol. Ps I took the van apart in just over an hour and can put it back together in about 2. I saved everything

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I agree 650 Watts is likely +/- cooling capacity, and 260 Watts rated electrical power. However, the video mentioned 35 Ah battery (at 24 Volts) which is well under 1 kWh, implying to me it would run about 3 hours maximum at full capacity. Home Depot says it will operate up to 5 hours when in “Sleep Mode”, which I assume is reduced cooling capacity (even lower than +/- 650 Watts or 2,200 ~ 2,300 BTU/hour).

For a quick stop to shop for groceries I suppose this unit could keep a compact kennel cool if blowing directly in it. Trying to cool the entire van or large part of it during the day would require a lot more capacity.

Night time cooling requirements are a fraction of daytime, particularly if parked in sun.

Our personal experience over last 15 years is that 5,000 BTU/hr is plenty to keep our uninsulated window van cool at night once temperature is reached, even in Florida. If I set temperature low to keep A/C from cycling on-off (so generator noise isn’t as noticeable) our van will get cooler than needed.

During the day the A/C does OK if parked in shade as long as not too hot outside. We don’t have bug screens so often run A/C to stay cool when outside is in 80s F. If parked in sun in the 90s F we don’t bother running the A/C.

For my next van I’d want at least 8,000 BTU/hour and preferably one of the latest air conditioners with variable speed compressor. And that assumes a well insulated van with few windows.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lola - one thing you may want to consider is a freeze mat for your dog, or a recirculating water bed.

(Just an example, I have no experience with this product)

2,300btu/hr isn't going to cut it unless you really minimize the area it is cooling (just the bed area?) We used our 7k btu/hr AC for a bit before the van was insulated and while it kept it from getting too hot, it wasn't cool.

I would focus on how to make your dog's crate/area as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
thanks, @Dekkars , not a bad idea on the dog pad.

I'm gonna attempt the summer without this ac thing because clearly it's not enough to cool a van. Last year I got a ryobi job site fan w/ 2x 400ah batteries, and it really kept me cool during the day (slider and back doors open) even on 100• days. The insulation with window shades kept the van almost 10• cooler than outside with everything closed up. What I like about this machine is it takes a lot of humidity out of the air and the humidity is worse than the heat to me. So I am a little curious about it. If I closed off the cab area I bet it would make the van my idea of comfortable for sleeping. I generally don't like AC because I like it hot. My curiosity might outweigh my common sense and I might buy one in the summer, try it, and return it if it doesn't do what I want.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,453 Posts
We've done 7 summers worth of trips in the van with a Maxxair Fan, screens in the front windows, and a few small 5" small fans to direct the air on us. Been in hot temps, down in FL a few times.

Early on I thought about a house AC in the driver side rear door window. As we got used to the van, we felt that it really didn't need AC. If it's really hot, I may start the van and run the AC for a while before bedtime and we're good from there with the Maxxair.

One big difference we have is that with no solar, I find the shadiest site in the CG and we're fine. Even during the day, you'll always find me parked in the shadiest spot in the lot. I'd suggest that you get a few more trips on your van before committing to a space-taking, money spending solution!

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
384 Posts
My van's insulated with Thinsulate as well as Reflectix and Low-E. I have rear windows and a window on the slider, heavily tinted. I keep the rear windows almost always blacked out with magnetic shades I bought from "downbytheriver" on eBay, and use the same on the side when we need privacy. I've found that cutting a piece of Low-E to fill the glass area - held in place loosely by the magnetic window covers - seems to make a noticeable difference in keeping the interior cool.

Also I'll second the cooling dog pad. My wife picked one up (probably Amazon) and the instructions say not to cool it but I do anyway. Rico Suave (the Aussie Terrier) loves it; Joey Ramone (the Pinscher-like creature) steers clear tho.
Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Mammal

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My van's insulated with Thinsulate as well as Reflectix and Low-E. I have rear windows and a window on the slider, heavily tinted. I keep the rear windows almost always blacked out with magnetic shades I bought from "downbytheriver" on eBay, and use the same on the side when we need privacy. I've found that cutting a piece of Low-E to fill the glass area - held in place loosely by the magnetic window covers - seems to make a noticeable difference in keeping the interior cool.

Also I'll second the cooling dog pad. My wife picked one up (probably Amazon) and the instructions say not to cool it but I do anyway. Rico Suave (the Aussie Terrier) loves it; Joey Ramone (the Pinscher-like creature) steers clear tho.
View attachment 81876
OMG!!!! they are precious!

@proeddie is right, I need a few more trips under my belt before i do anything––except buying one of the cooling pads. I have the same window configuration. None open, but there's a maxx fan and a skylight. I made reflectix window covers with a layer of havelock wool and the fabric and they definitely keep the van 10• cooler than outside. @Chance 's suggestion of turning on the van AC for a quick cool down is good. Doing that before closing the van up for the night and putting the window covers on will be good. During the day with the doors open I'm comfortable no matter how hot, it's just sleeping and if I run into a store. I really can't wait until march when I put the batteries back in and start exploring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked into swampcoolers and every conceivable gadget but most use next few years is southeast … so too humid for water based coolers to work. Sucked it up and put a coleman low profile ac on roof and lost one solar panel…. And added gadget that charges LIfePO4 while driving to supplement solar. 1,000 watts is what the AC needs when not plugged in. Ouch

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked into swampcoolers and every conceivable gadget but most use next few years is southeast … so too humid for water based coolers to work. Sucked it up and put a coleman low profile ac on roof and lost one solar panel…. And added gadget that charges LIfePO4 while driving to supplement solar. 1,000 watts is what the AC needs when not plugged in. Ouch
Which unit did you put on top… another issue for me with the Hi Top is the tolls…sometimes it cost a dollar and others 6.80 depending how their equipment is setup. I wonder if the rooftop unit counts? I believe 8’ is the next limit.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Which unit did you put on top… another issue for me with the Hi Top is the tolls…sometimes it cost a dollar and others 6.80 depending how their equipment is setup. I wonder if the rooftop unit counts? I believe 8’ is the next limit.
I got nailed crossing a bridge into PA from jersey. A $2 cost for a car was $10 for me!!! He said it was a height thing. I'm gonna get ezpass so I can just fly through tolls.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.