Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the Tom Tom site claiming there is a firmware (not map) update for the Connect 5.0n, it isn't available through FCA. The latest firmware is still 11.810.

Was at the dealer for an alignment and we researched it thoroughly...

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
It seems like the best way to update the TomTom software and maps in the PM is to spend a one-time "fee" of about $129 to buy a quality Garmin stand alone GPS with lifetime updates and free traffic. The GARMIN 2595 LMT is great, has voice command, and free updates.

Please understand that I'm not giving you a hard time. I have the same situation with the GM Nav updates ($200 a year) on my new 2014 Corvette (where it was a $700 option, and on the 2015's is a $1695 option)! The Nav is so bad, it's just easier to use a stand alone!

What's really irritating is that on the PM they have TomTom but on my 2013 Dodge Journey (with Uconnect 5.0) they have a 8" screen and Garmin based navigation that is fantastic! I was all set to get the PM Nav until I looked at one and discovered that it is TomTom based.

Disappointing....:|

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
The maps on smartphones/tablets are better as they have many more businesses, are kept up to date and feed to us realtime, and have traffic and rerouting. I accept that the age of built in Nav is over because the business model of the GPS companies is passed. When we are not in cell contact we may need to have a stand alone maps program from Rand McNally or some one else downloaded which is not as good as a gps but for most of the time I'll use the smartphone and google maps or Maps on iPhone. My suggestion is pretend the nav in your dash is broken.... it is.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Aye. We ordered nearly all the goodies, including the backup camera, parking sensors, satellite radio, etc... But we intentionally left out the nav system. We have a Garmin that plops on the dash of whichever vehicle we need and it works great. And then the phones for secondary or for traffic readings if we're in the big cities.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
The only real problem with using your cell phone is data usually doesn't work when you cross the border unless you have an unlimited world-wide data roaming plan (which most don't have). The GPS will still work but without maps it isn't much good. I know you can always pre-load maps to your destination but if you change your plans or get lost you are SOL with a cell phone GPS. Of course if you never travel from the USA to Canada or Mexico or visa-versa it's a moot problem.

What do our Canadian members do when they travel in the US? Do you just buy a US sim card for calling & data or do the Canadian cell providers offer reasonable cross=border calling & data rates?

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,489 Posts
I use the Delorme software with a usb gps dongle nice to plan and route your trip on a big screen and accurate. It does time out some times and I have to restart but for less than $50 well worth it.
Here's what my Delorme Street Atlas 2012 shows for our favorite city in Mexico and a small town in Canada. In Mexico just the major roads in Canada most roads. I have not used it outside of the USA.
http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=lhc0r7kv
http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=cslhzs6t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why do we put up with this kind of nonsense. It seems that we have bought a product that doesn't work. These nav systems should be replaced as part of our warranty. It may take a lot of badgering but it should be done on principle. That being said, who needs the aggravation for $150?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Google maps navigation uses info from Waze. Routed me around real time accident and traffic jams several times during last week's 30 hours of driving.

I'm grandfathered in on an unlimited data plan.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Google owns Waze. Why use Google Maps when you can just use Waze?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I had just downloaded Waze before heading out to AZ in October and twice the interstate (which we generally avoid) came to a halt for accidents. Both time Waze members ahead gave us a good idea of where the issue was, how fast they were getting cleared and it gave us good alternative routing. I still need to get up the learning curve but am sold on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like Waze, just not when I'm driving by myself. Best trips I've had were me as driver using Google Maps, and GF in passenger seat with Waze up. For Waze to work best you need to interact with it while driving. Um, you want me to play with my cell phone, pushing a button to confirm the cop was there as I drive past the cop? Does it factor in the time for getting pulled over and ticketed for cell phone use in its estimated directions? The adds are annoying. I prefer the Google search results over Waze "top supporting advertiser's" are listed first results. Maps gives voice street name directions, lane choice,

Maps has routed me on some goat trails but is reliable.
Waze has tried to route me through people's driveways and alleys behind their house.
Garmin routed me across people's yards. Luckily I was on the dual sport motorcycle and kinda thought that was an awesome feature. Not sure how pissed the home owners were tho.

A decent comparison of the 2 in question at https://www.google.com/amp/lifehacker.com/turn-by-turn-navigation-showdown-google-maps-vs-waze-1761550298/amp?client=ms-android-verizon

It's all different strokes for different folks. YMMV, Etc. Etc.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
You are right about the dual sport. I have the tom-tom set for shortest distance and avoid highways and it has been interesting to say the least. Only one pedestrian bridge and about 20 “Private- not a public road” and one bridge abutments, but no bridge!
At speed most of it works out fine. The missing bridge- not so much!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Found Waze to work best on interstates, seems to get lost easily when in cities. Tons of rerouting and wrong turns from my experiences here in FL.

With Google Maps you can download portions of areas across the world for offline use. So if you live in the US and want to travel cross boarder you can still use you phone for Nav without using data.

Best NAV solution IMO, is to get a headunit with Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I called the dealer. They said I can check on line. Once I had the account set up and after a 1/2 hour chat session I was directed to the Nav update site where you need to PAYfor an update. So I go through the menu to select the update and the Promaster is not listed.

Now I call the Promaster number and they are surprised. Can I be the first person that ever considered updating the maps? I have a case number and someone should call me back within 24 hours. I will post the results when I get that call.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
If they want $$ to update it I doubt it's worth it. How many changes in roads in 2 years? I wouldn't even bother.

Did you do the firmware update from last year?

·
Registered
371 Posts
If they want $$ to update it I doubt it's worth it. How many changes in roads in 2 years? I wouldn't even bother.

Did you do the firmware update from last year?
Have found missing roads in New Brunswick and Florida.

Have not done a firmware update. How do I check what firmware I have? Is the update a DIY item or does the dealer need to do it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts