Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just musing after the election--I wonder whether PM manufacture will be affected if NAFTA is twitched. Do our parts come through Mexico or directly from Europe?

Please don't make this political.

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
I would say both. Some plastic parts say "Made in Mexico" on them, there have the Fiat logo ad seem to come from the EU.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There will be a lot of push-back against any changes to NAFTA that would adversely affect the auto industry.

Parts for almost all vehicles come from many different sources all over the world. The transmission in the gas engine ProMaster was assembled in the USA. While Chrysler has an engine assembly plant in Mexico, the parts come from many sources. A customer of mine here in Canada makes some parts that go into every Pentastar engine.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
367 Posts
The Pentastar V-6 gas engine is made in Dundee, Michigan. The 62TE transmission is made in Kokomo, Indiana, and the torque converter for the 62TE is made in Toledo, OH. Definitely a "world" vehicle.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I was under the impression that the engine was made in Trenton. The wheel bearing I just bought came from Europe. Turkey I think.

Regardless, yeah. Simply tearing up or otherwise renegotiating NAFTA isn't going to happen, and never was going to happen. Hypothetically even if it did, the number of auto jobs in Saltillo is a lot, but I don't think it would cause the automakers to return to 1960 levels of employment. It would be interesting to know how much money the OEMs save by making cars in Mexico. Someone could challenge my numbers easily, but my understanding is that there is about $2000 worth of labor in every UAW car, less for the non-unions in the south, and certainly less than in Mexico.

I know you said not to get political, but the real reason we make cars in Canada and Mexico isn't NAFTA, it's health care. Healthcare costs are about 18% of every dollar in your pocket, and costs are the same for the automakers. THIS is why politicians have been fighting for decades to control health care costs, THAT's what would bring jobs back to this country. Labor is a factor, but not the only factor.

But my industry (expedited freight) is mostly automotive. I've been to that Kokomo plant! I don't do many Detroit to Laredo runs (where parts move across the border) but that run is a huge chunk of the expedited business. So I have a dog in this fight, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I too don’t want this to be political and I am not talking about this election at all. There is in general, a flattening of labor costs in the World. Once it was commonly said it cost $2 an hour to get labor in China. I saw a quote of about $11 and hour 3 or 4 years ago and it is rising. Now I know that even a rural non-union factory in the Southern US has labor costs much higher than that but it will continue to flatten. The US has a huge manufacturing base now perhaps bigger than it ever has been. The difference is how lean is is in terms of labor. It pays, on average about $25/hour and benefits (add 1/3 to 1/2 for the total) If you want to be a part of that labor force you better get some education and get trained to be competitive. BTW most of our manufactured goods go to free trade countries! That is why NAFTA will not end. Here is an interesting fact sheet:

http://www.nam.org/Newsroom/Top-20-Facts-About-Manufacturing/

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
To the owners of this site, open a political section. I seen a adventure thread deleted a few weeks back for less.
Now we are posting links?

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
NO! There is a fine line between non-related Promaster material and related, relative subjects.

This particular thread doesn't make any political statements either way just facts about that may be of interest to many members. Facts is facts, opinion is not facts.

When posts start crossing the line I, for one, will delete them.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for that stance. Another forum I enjoyed for years has been destroyed by this election. I really don't want to know the political leanings of my fellow Promaster Pinewood Derby friends. It's easier to stay friends that way.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Undelete the trip report thread. It was Promaster related. I see bias group here.
I will have screen shots.

·
Super Moderator
10,693 Posts
I'm not sure what your problem is but obviously you don't understand the difference and no matter how many times it's explained to you, you never shall.

For the last time - both moderators considered the post inappropriate, and not necessarily for the reasons you may believe. The post in question was primarily deleted because of the religious content, not the political, although the political comment was a blatant attempt to support one candidate over another. This thread is simply about the ramifications of NAFTA, good or bad, it makes no value judgements, in my opinion, and thus is not a political statement but a statement of fact.

If you want political and religious discussion then I would suggest you go to sites that specialize in that form of debate, NOT a site devoted to vans!

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
367 Posts
I was under the impression that the engine was made in Trenton. The wheel bearing I just bought came from Europe. Turkey I think.
My bad! You are correct. I was confusing the 1.4L Fiat multi-air that I have in my Fiat Abarth with the PentaStar. The multi-air is made in Dundee.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
General discussions Promaster/Nafta vs Trip reports Promaster/ark. ?????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.